Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Barnsley

limpid

Match Polls  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/01/18 at 15:00

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Best Birthday present ever. Thanks Villa! 

I was also celebrating my birthday today. Brilliant first half performance. Second half was a bit shaky, but very pleased with the win. Keep this up and we will have no problems catching second spot at least.

• Like 1

Good win. Hogan first was top quality- he really has found his confidence again. Second half was a bit meh but still had chances to get another goal.. I still think against better teams Bruce would start Whelan or Jedinak ahead of Bjanasson as he is not a out and out defensive mid. I think gettig over 30,000 home fans versus Barnsley is a damn good effort. The last 3 league home games have been all over 30,000. We are on the move.

• Like 2

Very good win.

great start, but we were eventually out muscled.....it eas a tough game and credit to Barnsley.

They will take points off our competitors, no doubt.

We were awesome in the first 20 mins, but its hard to sustain it, they clobbered their way back in to the game.

good substitution in Onomah, give us that bit of muscle, which was needed.

Got shoved off the ball too many times, but hey.....good win.

Yay ! :)

I want to see the "so much win!" again!

(That's easily one of the best things I've ever seen on here. :) It's some kind of very happy cartoon superhero with yellow Viking horns and clenched fists and he says "So much win!" Brilliant!!!)

Edited by robby b

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The game was a difficult one to judge with the way the goals were spread, I think coming away from the ground I felt a little nonplussed, but it really is another good win.

It was actually a really good picture of where we are right now, a bit of everything that Villa do, good, bad and ugly. 

We've an odd sort of confidence - we always seem either resolute and dogged, convinced in our defensive grit, or arrogant to the extent that we believe we're obviously better than our opposition - no sort of normal balanced level of confidence in between, a fragile arrogance underpinned with a never say die last ditch thing. We're odd basically.

When we were relaxed and playing well today we were excellent - in the first thirty or forty minutes we could have scored seven - Adomah, with support from Hutton, was destroying their right wing back, Grealish was running things, Snodgrass and Elmo were rampaging down the right and Hogan looked very sharp. The goals were no surprise and Grealish's assist for the third was a work of art.

In between them we conceded from a corner - Barnsley were a real threat from corners and free kicks, they're big and they clearly work hard on set pieces - we've a weakness to balls crossed into the box, today's line up lacks a bit of height and Johnstone doesn't particularly dominate from crosses. He does save just about everything you hit at him though - a combination of opposites somewhat befitting this Villa side.

We were very much the better side today, and second best for decent periods. What's good at the moment is that when we're second best, we look like we hate conceding goals, we'll throw bodies in to stop them, we'll work hard to stop them, we'll do whatever it takes to stop them. At times we look like a solid, dour, defensive bunch of battlers who have been startled by the ability they have to play - maybe that's what we are.

We tire a little in games, but Grealish, Adomah and Snodgrass are currently absolutely dominating teams at times  - the partnerships down the wing work, the space created by and for Jack Grealish works, the hard work being done by Hourihane (and Bjarnason) works - Terry and Chester are a pair of old fashioned stubborn bastards at the back - there are good parts to this machine all over the pitch. The team is sometimes not quite the sum of all of those parts, but all of those parts are very capable of winning a game.

In the programme, Scott Hogan talked about us having players who can win in different ways - I think he's right, I also think we might be the only team in the division with that diversity - we can win games through good football, we can win games on the break, we can play with a big man, we can defend for ninety minutes, we'll fight you, we'll frustrate you and of late, we've added the ability to score goals - it bodes well for our immediate future that we've become a team that can win any type of football match.

We still have periods where we drift out of games, we still have weaknesses, we're still prone to playing comfortable side to side football and sitting too deep, but this was a performance where we showed there are lots of ways to get the job done and we're looking to learn each and every one of them.

Highlights for me were Grealish knocking the referee over (and still playing a great pass), their enormous (and deceptively quick) centre forward slapping one over the bar and that start -we start home games like a rocket at the moment.

More of this please.

I always love your match summaries OBE and I pretty much always agree with 99.9%* of them. :thumb:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I always love your match summaries OBE and I pretty much always agree with 99.9%* of them. :thumb:

Stop brown nosing the Guinness-infused midget ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I loved the way 5 Barnsley defenders absolutely bricked it when Jack had the ball at his feet in their 18 yrd box....totally backed off of him which gave him the opportunity to make the assist.

Proper fear in their eyes that he'd sell them a booby any second.

Â