Pubs

wedge

I'd imagine the Aston Social, Witton Arms, Aston Tavern, Manor Tavern etc. will all be opening 8am-ish on the Sunday morning. Am I right in thinking the Armada and the Brookvale are now closed permanently? 

I suppose there will be a fair few places opening in the city centre too (Briar Rose etc) unles WMP go full lockdown mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely the whole reason for having a 12pm kick off is to help prevent clearings in the woods getting their Dutch courage and causing trouble before, during and after the game. Opening local pubs at 8am defeats the purpose.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Surely the whole reason for having a 12pm kick off is to help prevent clearings in the woods getting their Dutch courage and causing trouble before, during and after the game. Opening local pubs at 8am defeats the purpose.

More likely the reason is that if the trouble makers are in the pubs the police can keep an eye and know where they are.

On 04/02/2018 at 16:08, pacbuddies said:

You can't tar everyone with the same brush. For a lot of people having a drink before/after the game and the social side of it is a huge part of going to the football, even more so for a big game like a derby. 

I find a swift drink or two before the SHA games helps kill some of the pre-match nerves, the pubs are buzzing as well usually, almost an away-day feel for a home game which sets it apart...

EDIT: By the way, Aston Social confirmed opening at 8am on Sunday but as is the norm and with other pubs in B6 if you're a non-member then a ticket for a home area of the ground has to be produced on the door. 

:ph34r:

Edited by wedge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wedge said:

You can't tar everyone with the same brush. For a lot of people having a drink before/after the game and the social side of it is a huge part of going to the football, even more so for a big game like a derby. 

I don't think he was doing that, just explaining the reasoning.

He's right too. Defeats the purpose. If anything people are more likely to be smashed for a 12pm kick off, either topping up from the night before or not sleeping/eating properly then heading to the pub for 8am. 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2018 at 16:08, pacbuddies said:

Exactly. What's wrong with 10am.

On 06/02/2018 at 23:10, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly. What's wrong with 10am.

How much profit are you going to be missing out on as a landlord by opening at 10am, come on.

Opening at 8am on Sunday is like going to the pub for 11am for a Saturday 3pm kick-off, which I'd imagine most people do especially for away games.

6 hours ago, wedge said:

How much profit are you going to be missing out on as a landlord by opening at 10am, come on.

Opening at 8am on Sunday is like going to the pub for 11am for a Saturday 3pm kick-off, which I'd imagine most people do especially for away games.

True mate, however I wouldn't fancy a pint at 8/9am that's for sure.

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Indeed, last years game I was astounded at that amount of pissed up lads making their way to the game or drinking on the street. It was more than if it was an evening game.

Who wants to be drinking at 11 a.m for **** sake?

If both sets of fans behaved like adults then we could play this on a evening. Our games against wolves and West Brom are never 12pm it just against the blosers as unfortunately both clubs ahve some morons 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If both sets of fans behaved like adults then we could play this on a evening. Our games against wolves and West Brom are never 12pm it just against the blosers as unfortunately both clubs ahve some morons 

I''m sorry - I'm not having being called a moron for having a pint or two before a 12pm kick-off.

Remember the cluster f**k when Sky put our first Premiere league game ever against these gutter snipes on Monday night football? That was in my scrapping days and even I thought they were insane, turned out I was right. Don't see any harm in opening boozers at 8 AM for a midday kick off though, I'll still be pissed from Saturday night anyway lol.

Â