2018 Holiday Plans

TheAuthority

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

In 2016 we went to Argentinian Patagonia and it was a great life adventure.

We stayed in El Calafate near the Southern edge of the Patagonian ice field and it felt like the end of the earth (you can go further but it gets more expensive and things get less reliable.)

Hiked across the Poreto Moreno Glacier, climbed through a blue ice cave, rode some old nags through the Patagonian landscape and then flew up to San Bariloche and drove Ruta 40 around the seven lakes.

I think the Chilean side is more popular but Argentina is incredibly sparse down there. You meet a lot of people who say that they just wanted a quiet place where they could raise kids/be peaceful and have a comfortable life without worrying about a lot of the things we worry about in the west.

Of course they are also incredibly proud of the fact that Hitler and many Nazi's escaped to live there! :D

Argentina was where I am thinking. It's without doubt some of the most beautiful landscape I have seen.

Sounds like you had quite the adventure, I will look in to the specifics of your journey, thanks for posting.

I love that you rode horses, that's actually on my bucket list as an activity I want to do at least annually.

Don't get me started on Germany, the Red House Report and the Fourth Reich. Some elite Nazi scientists were employed by the U.S and involved in MK-Ultra.

I have a tendency to take the conversation quite seriously, as some seemingly far-fetched realities are actually verified, yet often overlooked and not common knowledge or accepted.

It's funny you mention it though, possibly the last thing related to South America that I expected to read on VT, Hitler's great escape!

On 01/02/2018 at 18:32, chicovilla said:

First half of 2018 coming in to place now :)

Started 2018 off   with a Belgium roadtrip late Dec and Jan. Some lovely places - Ghent, Bruges and Brussels.

Off to India for my 4th trip there end of Feb...Delhi, Varanasi and Marutha over 11 days. 

Roadtrip to Edinburgh over Easter.

4 day trip to Genoa beginning of May to take in Sampdoria v Napoli.

Back to Hong Kong and Thailand end of May. 

No new countries but some of my favourites. 

Hope to go to Albania in September. 

1st half of 2018 went to plan, apart from I managed to squeeze in Albania in early. Flew into Corfu town and the crossed over to Albania by ferry. Hired a scooter for 5 days and toured along the south coast of Albania and inland to Gjirokastër. Some stunning mountain scenery and relatively unspoiled coastline. Nice and cheap, and the locals were friendly.

2nd half of 2018, will be visiting friends in Cork in Aug. 

Planning a trip to Bulgaria.Macedonia and Kosovo in September. Fly into Sofia and out from Skopje.

Back to Hong Kong in November.

Rail trip from Rome to Sicily over Xmas/new year

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ibiza was superb. Great hotel, and the all inclusive was very good. Lovely clean island. Will go back at some point. Fly out to Croatia 7.30 Monday morning .

Edited by Rugeley Villa

• 2 weeks later...

compensation money for my delayed flight to cuba in march has paid for 1 night in rabat 4 nights in marrakech, bit of a ball ache return flights from stansted to rabat but the price difference between flying local to marrakech is incredible

interested to see how it compares to istanbul seeing as the looky looky men ruined my experience there and im expecting marrakech to be worse

should have another £250 on the way too for a cancelled flight last month

Edited by villa4europe

On 06/07/2018 at 13:05, chicovilla said:

Planning a trip to Bulgaria.Macedonia and Kosovo in September. Fly into Sofia and out from Skopje.

That’s a bit arse about face , you can fly to Luton from Pristina (v cheap )   and save yourself some time instead of doubling back on yourself 

I did Skopje and Kosovo earlier this year , I wouldn’t allow too much time in Kosovo there isn’t a great deal there tourist wise 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

That’s a bit arse about face , you can fly to Luton from Pristina (v cheap )   and save yourself some time instead of doubling back on yourself 

I did Skopje and Kosovo earlier this year , I wouldn’t allow too much time in Kosovo there isn’t a great deal there tourist wise 

All booked now, flying to Sofia in Bulgaria from Luton, visiting Sofia, Rila and Plovdiv over 5 days then travelling south to Skopje, to stay there for 2 days and then Lake Ohrid area for further 3 nights. Fly back to Luton from Skopje, Macedonia. Flights cost £65 return and accommodation at some excellent Air BnB's for average £25 a night. Hearing that Bulgaria is one of the cheapest places in Europe and Macedonia even cheaper :) 

Will probably skip Kosovo on this trip.  

1 hour ago, chicovilla said:

All booked now, flying to Sofia in Bulgaria from Luton, visiting Sofia, Rila and Plovdiv over 5 days then travelling south to Skopje, to stay there for 2 days and then Lake Ohrid area for further 3 nights. Fly back to Luton from Skopje, Macedonia. Flights cost £65 return and accommodation at some excellent Air BnB's for average £25 a night. Hearing that Bulgaria is one of the cheapest places in Europe and Macedonia even cheaper :) 

Will probably skip Kosovo on this trip.  

I haven't checked but if the Villa are on TV I'll join you in the pub to watch it.

Any questions about Sofia will be gladly answered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I haven't checked but if the Villa are on TV I'll join you in the pub to watch it.

Any questions about Sofia will be gladly answered.

Thanks for that! Unfortunately we are out there during International break, so no Villa matches! -

Do you have any idea how easy it is to get bus tickets from Sofia to Skopje? 

20 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

Ok,all booked up for 1st week Sept to Alcudia,Majorca.Any advice?

From what I remember, it's in the north of the island, quieter and the beaches are very good quality. Very popular with the scandanavians too, back in the day anyway.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2018 at 02:06, Derryvillan said:

Ok,all booked up for 1st week Sept to Alcudia,Majorca.Any advice?

I went years ago its not bad. 

Very family orientated and lots of kids. If thats what yoir after you will enjoy it as lots for kids.

• Like 1

Me and Mrs T have done Santorini earlier this year,

Off to Gran Canaria for a chilled out week in October

Maspalomas Campo International area. Love this place 7th trip in as many years. 

Love the tumbled down Faro 2 and the tacky Yumbo centre. Up the Yumbo to our favourite bar The Ritz and people watch with a rum and coke. Or down the Irish bar in Playa de Ingles.

Great place for a chilled out holiday, Older couples like Me and Mrs T, Newly weds, Gay lads and ladies, Families, and Singles. All just enjoying the sunshine without judgement 

7 hours ago, Warnock said:

Flying out to Australia next Wednesday for 3 months. Booked it back in January and now it's almost here... seems crazy. Very excited.

Lucky buggar 

Guess you’ve had loads of recommendations, but I’ve got some of you want .

Edited by mikeyp102

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Lucky buggar 

Guess you’ve had loads of recommendations, but I’ve got some of you want .

Always open to recommendations, mate.

Infact, it's been quite overwhelming getting everything sorted so haven't really had time to plan what we're gonna do in each city just yet. Hoping to do that once we get there!

9 hours ago, Warnock said:

Always open to recommendations, mate.

Infact, it's been quite overwhelming getting everything sorted so haven't really had time to plan what we're gonna do in each city just yet. Hoping to do that once we get there!

In 3 months I’m guessing you’re looking at seeing lots of different areas?

How old are you, as some things obviously differ for ages. Do you like a drink?

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

In 3 months I’m guessing you’re looking at seeing lots of different areas?

How old are you, as some things obviously differ for ages. Do you like a drink?

26 and will not refuse a beverage. ? Literally hitting most cities. We've got a van and greyhound to do the east coast up to Cairns. But there's also relatives in Perth so that'll be our first stop for a couple of weeks before we fly east.

Edited by Warnock

One small tip. If you’re going to go into the outback, aka the red centre, particularly in the hotter months, get some of this. You can get it from the equestrian shop, I think it’s called “Horseland”, in Perth, as you’re there first.  Obviously other places in other towns sell it too, but you can’t get it everywhere. The reason why you need to get some is it’s the only stuff that actually works in keeping the flies off you.  worth every dollar.65BC9A8B-2CF4-4C67-8B50-9654EFA40C56.jpeg

11 hours ago, Warnock said:

26 and will not refuse a beverage. ? Literally hitting most cities. We've got a van and greyhound to do the east coast up to Cairns. But there's also relatives in Perth so that'll be our first stop for a couple of weeks before we fly east.

The East Coast was the main stay for my duration.

Whitsundays is an absolute must see. You can do boat trips from Airlie Beach, there are numerous styles. There are some “party boats” where you’ll be drinking all day, mid range where you’ll drink at night but during the day will snorkel and see the sites more or there are some classier ones where you’ll probably not drink at all. I did the mid range one and it was great, just be prepared to not sleep much as the cabins are so hot. 

Fraser Island is great. I did it with a tour group called Dingos from Hervey Bay. It’s the largest sand island in the world. You drive a 4x4 around the island, where there is clear lakes and lagoons, shipwrecks etc. You camp out for 2 nights there.

Austrailia Zoo is a must see, it’s the zoo made famous by Steve Irwin. The croc show is awesome.

Further down the coast you have the likes of Byron Bay which is very iconic and beautiful.

All down the coast the beaches are breathtaking so I’m sure in a camper you’ll find some lovely spots and have some great experiences.

Leaving the East coast, the Great Ocean between Melbourne and Adelaide has some great spots and is well worth a visit.

• Like 1

Â