Pre match thread

roonst83

More of the same please Villa. Hope we can continue the good momentum we've accrued in the league the past few weeks. Jedinak back in for Whelan, hopefully. Otherwise, I expect us to keep things the same as against Forest. 

• Like 1

I think its unfair to criticise Whelan too much, hes come in and done the job we expected from him. Hes a solid defensive midfielder, nothing more or less. The problem is that a team pushing for promotion in this league doesn't really need that sort of player.

In terms of this game we really should be winning it, Barnsley are nothing special.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think its unfair to criticise Whelan too much, hes come in and done the job we expected from him. Hes a solid defensive midfielder, nothing more or less. The problem is that a team pushing for promotion in this league doesn't really need that sort of player.

In terms of this game we really should be winning it, Barnsley are nothing special.

We need the player if was good at that role. he is good at winning the ball but he just slows up play and you are just waiting for him to make a misplaced pass or cock up. 

I just look at him as a poor jedinak.  for me if we go up, he should be nowhere near the first team 

I'd start BB in place of Whelan based on his performance last week. Deserved start. People need to see that if they come on and impress then they're in contention to start games rather than the same starting 11 being picked regardless. Give the guys something to work towards and we'll be all the better for it.

• Like 4

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:18, sidcow said:

It's my Birthday on Saturday. Sort it out Villa! 

Happy Birthday. It was my 60th last week, Mrs T had arranged a London week end trip. So I had to follow the Forest game by txt message from my son. Still I was sitting in a nice French restaurant in Covent Gardens 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RotaxMax125 said:

If play like we did in the last 3 league games then they should end up a beaten team. If we are as good defensively as we have been recently the attack should eventually find a way through. I'd like to see an earlyish 2 goal lead for comfort. 

Just like the Sheff Utd game! :D

Although I agree. 2-0 in the 1st half. No way back for Barnsley. I would however, take a 1-0 win in the 90th minute off the arse of Hogan!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Just like the Sheff Utd game! :D

Although I agree. 2-0 in the 1st half. No way back for Barnsley. I would however, take a 1-0 win in the 90th minute off the arse of Hogan!

I feel though that Barnsley's attacking threat is not as dangerous as Sheff Utd's by quite some way. However as you say I'll take a 1-0 90 minute winner if needs be. 

• Like 1

Tribute to Cyrille Regis

We will be holding a minute’s applause for our former striker, Cyrille Regis, at our game against Barnsley.

The football world was shocked and saddened this week with news of the death of the popular forward, who was a Midland football icon having played for Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, Coventry City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Prior to kick-off on Saturday, fans will join together to pay tribute to Regis.

There will also be a minute’s applause on Friday before our Premier League Cup clash with West Brom as our U23s face the Baggies at the Banks’s Stadium.

We will also be holding a ‘Period of Tribute’ on the last home game of the season against Derby County as we remember all those we have lost over the last 12 months.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/01/17/minute-applause-cyrille-regis

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I am confident of a win. Very rarely do I get to say that, but actually expect us to win this one now. 3-0

Agreed, we've been in this position before and overconfidence/carelessness has cost us - I don't think they'll let that happen again. 

The expectation is a win so as always a potential banana for Villa. Would like to see Bjarnson keep his place in the DM berth but expect Bruce to revert to Whelan or Jedi again, if fit.

Can see a draw in this one.