Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ole screwed him playing him at rb. Being scrap gifted already by United fans I know

Didn't even play right back, he played on the left.

He was good enough defensively, but it was pretty obvious he wasn't comfortable taking the ball down the line. Just got a bit predictable with cutting back inside to pass, which led to the Arsenal goal. I wouldn't blame him as he was always going to be hampered in this way playing left back and I'm sure he'll learn from it.

I'd love to see him get a run at CB and I think he'd compliment either of their current starters really well as he has a bit of pace.

Axel must be gutted tbh.

If you look at the the good young(ish) performers from the Championship last season, like Wilson, Tomori, Mount, Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc etc, Tuanzebe is the only one who isnt now getting regular first team football.

I wonder if he is rueing not looking for a team to offer him first team football, he played so much last season, such a pity to see him wasting on the bench when all his "peers" from last season are now first teamer's in the Prem effectively.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Axel must be gutted tbh.

If you look at the the good young(ish) performers from the Championship last season, like Wilson, Tomori, Mount, Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc etc, Tuanzebe is the only one who isnt now getting regular first team football.

I wonder if he is rueing not looking for a team to offer him first team football, he played so much last season, such a pity to see him wasting on the bench when all his "peers" from last season are now first teamer's in the Prem effectively.

It was him decision to return to a in decline Man Utd.

Would have played week in week out at Villa. Still disappointed by his decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It was him decision to return to a in decline Man Utd.

Would have played week in week out at Villa. Still disappointed by his decision.

Its all relative though isn't it. United are on the decline but they are still one of the biggest sports clubs in the world, playing in Europe and in the top half of the premier league. Unless he had a personal attachment to Villa there's not an awful lot we can Trump MU with. Defender's rarely coming out of a relegation battle season smelling of roses.

He's a united fan isn't he?  In the summer he was always going to give it a proper shot with the state the United squad was in.  He'll get his move when he wants it, Jan or the summer.  It is a pivotal time in his development though.  Tough decisions to be made.

I like Engels a lot, but it would have been brilliant to have Axel sign permanently. Having him and Tammy re-sign would have been huge. I really loved our promotion winning side. Gutted for the lad that he's not playing now.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

From the man utd forum "Aerial duels is his glaring weakness"

Yep we said the same thing about him last season. He needs to improve on that.

Time to send him and Nilsson-Lindelöf on a heading technique intensive course?

4 weeks training with Fabio Cannavaro.

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this post back up because I keep hearing a lot of talk (not just on VT) about how he would have radically improved us this season, had we managed to sign him. 

I can't see that to be honest, he was good last season, but as we all saw, the gap between the two divisions is massive. We all loved Mings and McGinn to bits last season, but it's fair to say they've both had a poor season and haven't met the expectations. 

What we severely lacked (among other things) was experience, and Axel wouldn't have been able to provide it, through no fault of his own. I can't see him having improved us in any significant way. 

He might do very well in the prem, but it would take a settled and experienced team for him to shine. 

• Like 1

If you're playing what if with him signing then does the injury cary over or is that taken off too? 

Because if we had signed him and then he'd have had the same injury then he would have been pretty much no use for us this season

A fully fit Tuanzebe instead of Engels? I don't think he would have been worse... 

I think the main issue with tunzebe is the injuries.  He has been injured most if this season and picked up big injuries with us twice. 

I like him think he has a lot of potential but until his fitness improves i dont think we should him permanently.  Wouldnt be opposed to another loan though

Feels he's missed his chance at Man. United now. Got a few games in the early part of the season when Lindelof was costing them goals but he's improved since then and Man. United are in market for another CB.

Doubt he'd drop back to the championship though. Will probably end up at a Palace or Everton.

Â