Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Axel comes in for Taylor and shifts Hause back to LB where he was also doing wonders before Elphick went down injured. Whilst Taylor has played well by Taylor’s standards during Elphicks absence, Hause is just a much better option IMO

Don't think so.

Taylor has done nothing the last games that should make him lose the place. Hause and Mings are doing very well at cb and i see no reason changing it right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think so.

Taylor has done nothing the last games that should make him lose the place. Hause and Mings are doing very well at cb and i see no reason changing it right now.

Fair enough, everyone’s entitled to an opinion. 

My logic is that Hause was keeping out Taylor when he was playing at LB (although from memory Taylor may have been injured for some of that?) and I get the impression Smith prefers ball-playing defenders. The other thing is that the Villa media channels seem to be making a massive deal of Tuanzebes return which usually implies that they are going to play a key role. 

Smith rates Axel and brought in Hause whereas Ill eat my hat if Smith see’s Taylor as part of his long term plans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Fair enough, everyone’s entitled to an opinion. 

My logic is that Hause was keeping out Taylor when he was playing at LB (although from memory Taylor may have been injured for some of that?) and I get the impression Smith prefers ball-playing defenders. The other thing is that the Villa media channels seem to be making a massive deal of Tuanzebes return which usually implies that they are going to play a key role. 

Smith rates Axel and brought in Hause whereas Ill eat my hat if Smith see’s Taylor as part of his long term plans.

You’re probably right.  I like Axel but it’s hard to decide who is a better centre half out of him and Hause.

Axel was solid and good on the ball but I remember him struggling with balls over the top. But then on the other hand he had Chester next to him who has struggled all season. Maybe alongside Mings he would be better.  Plus they would give the right foot left foot balance that Smith likes. 

There may also be injuries from now until the end of the season that determines who plays. 

Either ways we’re starting to look in a good position at the back.  Always good to have options.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2019 at 17:21, AVTuco said:

Yes. McGinn started from the bench - so should Axel for sure.

Maybe... but Grealish came straight back into the XI after injury. I agree tho put him on the bench vs Blackburn in the hope of giving him 20- 30mins.

Would anyone go for a back four of

Axel.....Chester....Mings.....Hause

or do we think that's just shoehorning in the four best players without them necessarily being round pegs?  Axel and Korts have both played those positions before for us.

I’d stick with the defence as it is.

I really like Axel ..in the long term if we keep them all yes him at CB with Howitzer LB, But a defence that’s conceeded 1 goal in 3 games, all against top half opposition, shouldn’t be changed until necessary, in my view.

Managers pray for a solid defence, then if they get one they pray for it to remain undisrupted.

Also it’d mean dropping Taylor, who, for all the criticism he’s received, has been performing well in this set up.

No harm Axel being on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

or do we think that's just shoehorning in the four best players without them necessarily being round pegs?  Axel and Korts have both played those positions before for us.

I don’t think you’ll get many takers, mainly because at Right Back Axel was pretty much awful 🙂

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I can't believe you're even asking that question.   ;)

Mate do you remember those looping balls over the top that him and Chester missed. One v QPR and 2 v Derby stand out. Would be food and drink for Hause.

No doubt Axel is a better footballer. I think Hause is a better defender.

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think so.

As you said yourself, you should play your best team...and Neil Taylor is not in my best team.
He wouldn't be in my best team if he was playing for Erdington AFC.

• Like 1

Depends also on who will be signing with us end of season.  If we are doing okay with Hause and it looks like he will be signing at the end of the season I say play him for long term development.  Axel if going back to Man U isnt as much as a priority

True. And he wont. A, because its working and B, because it may affect morale.

A favourites culture is not what we need right now. The current back 4 have earned the right to stay together and though I believe the best back 4 is Elmo, Axel, Mings and Hause, its right to keep it as it is until a change is necessary.

My only fear would be that it could be the Play off final where Taylor or Elmo revert to being shite. There is an argument for being proactive and changing it before it breaks again, or to suit the opposition.

I guess this is where Smith earns his pay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

My only fear would be that it could be the Play off final where Taylor or Elmo revert to being shite. There is an argument for being proactive and changing it before it breaks again, or to suit the opposition.

I have a feeling some how or another the back four will have changed well before that point. 

If it ain't broke... incumbent back-line should remain until performance warrants a change or suspension/injury forces one. I personally don't see the benefit of shoehorning Tuanzebe into a RB role when Guilbert is presumably the long-term plan anyway.

• Like 1

Tuanzebe comes straight back in for me. he's a better CB than Hause imo plus it means we have a right footer playing to offer much more balance. Hause was doing fantastic at LB so again he just moves across. Might be harsh on Taylor but Tuanzebe is way too good to be sitting on the bench.

Elmo - Tuanzebe - Mings - Hause

Love it. 

• Like 1

Axel stays on the bench for me. The defense has been very strong in the last 4 games I don't think we should disrupt that by swapping out players, unless fitness is an issue for somebody. The best team doesn't necessarily have to include the best players, if everybody compliments each other well. 

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Piss off Bruce.

Not falling for this again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â