Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think it's a good loan, but I am a little confused. If he came here to play centerback, he surely won't get many minutes. Terry-Chester is the best pairing in the league. I don't want to break that apart for any reason. 

This seems to be an unnecessary loan. Elphick and Samba did well in their appearances, so we are covered pretty well in defense. 

If he is being seen as a DM, then it makes more sense, but he said he wants to play defense. I am very confused. 

Terry & Tuanzebe..  nice ring to it for a centre back pairing..

Maybe Bruce may be thinking 3 CB's with Aldo and Elmo as wing backs in some games?

Snoddy, Grealish & Adomah behind the front 2 of Hogan & New striker.

This signing does give us very nice selection problems.

11 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think it's a good loan, but I am a little confused. If he came here to play centerback, he surely won't get many minutes. Terry-Chester is the best pairing in the league. I don't want to break that apart for any reason. 

This seems to be an unnecessary loan. Elphick and Samba did well in their appearances, so we are covered pretty well in defense. 

If he is being seen as a DM, then it makes more sense, but he said he wants to play defense. I am very confused. 

I think these are mostly fair points except for the bit about Samba doing well. 

I'd assume Samba is largely crocked and we were one moment away a few weeks back from having to play Micah Richards in a first team game of football. That alone is enough to get anyone on the phone to try and find the brightest young thing you can to add some cover. 

Hes here to battle with Elphick as first cover CB. Bruce obviously isn't a fan of Tommy and despite two decent performances he still worries me. That he can also add cover in CM where we've recently resorted to playing our Icelandic flop in a position he's never played before (I know he's done OK) is also good news and more depth.

For me he's just cover and might start the odd game. That's closer to first team football than he's have got at United and Jose probably thought it would do him no harm to learn from Bruce and Terry for a few months. 

I shan't be creaming my pants over this one but added depth is always a good thing especially with several aging players in the position he plays. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We've just signed a hugely promising young centre back on loan who now has the opportunity to play for one of Manchester United's greatest captains (a former CB), and alongside one of the Premier League's best ever players (a current CB).

We've fallen a long way over the last few years, but we're pointing in the right direction once again.

Yep. We might play a league below where we should be but we're operating leagues above where we were just a few years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I'd assume Samba is largely crocked and we were one moment away a few weeks back from having to play Micah Richards in a first team game of football. That alone is enough to get anyone on the phone to try and find the brightest young thing you can to add some cover. 

Hes here to battle with Elphick as first cover CB. Bruce obviously isn't a fan of Tommy and despite two decent performances he still worries me. That he can also add cover in CM where we've recently resorted to playing our Icelandic flop in a position he's never played before (I know he's done OK) is also good news and more depth.

For me he's just cover and might start the odd game. That's closer to first team football than he's have got at United and Jose probably thought it would do him no harm to learn from Bruce and Terry for a few months. 

I shan't be creaming my pants over this one but added depth is always a good thing especially with several aging players in the position he plays. 

Birkir was a CM by trade before coming here. It was Bruce who moved him to the wing, then left back, then finally in the middle and unsurprisingly, Birkir no longer looked terrible.

I just worry we made a promise to United to play this kid, and Bruce will try to adjust the team to get him in. This loan makes very little sense. Our striker depth is terrible, and yet we went for a center back even though we have 4 on the roster. Apparently he can play right back, but we also have crazy depth at right back even with De Laet leaving. DM is a little iffy, but we still have Jedinak and Birkir who have done well in that spot this season. Plus there is Whelan lurking in the shadows waiting to misplace a pass. 

All in all, I am fine with this loan, as long as he wasn't promised a spot in our first team. If he is coming off the bench as cover, I am all for this. 

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Terry & Tuanzebe..  nice ring to it for a centre back pairing..

Maybe Bruce may be thinking 3 CB's with Aldo and Elmo as wing backs in some games?

Snoddy, Grealish & Adomah behind the front 2 of Hogan & New striker.

This signing does give us very nice selection problems.

5 at the back doesn't work with our players. We'd have to drop either Adomah, Grealish, or Snodgrass to play that formation, and I don't want any of them dropped. 

13 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Wyness made it clear that any players coming in on loan would need to better than what we already have - no way Jose would let him join villa just as cover - he will be playing as defensive midfielder I expect and has the ability to cover should Chester or terry be missing .

he has come here for game time not to sit on the bench .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Have you seen the interview - he did not say he wants to play defence !

he was asked and replied he’s most comfortable at centre back but versatile and can play right back or central midfield - he clearly stated he was happy to play anywhere to help the team .

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

5 at the back doesn't work with our players. We'd have to drop either Adomah, Grealish, or Snodgrass to play that formation, and I don't want any of them dropped. 

We won't be playing 5 at the back.

He will be alternating the CDM with Thor & Jedi mainly, acting as cover for the 2 CB's if either one was to get injured.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Being part of the first team squad is a lot more than he would get at United. I doubt very much we'd be expected to start him week in week out. Should have to earn his place like any player should.

But surely he would get more out of going to a team where he will play.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Baffled by this signing. Where is he going to play? Unless Jedinak and Samba are going to be out for the rest of the season, and Elphick will no be sold this makes no sense. What does this do to Bjarnason motivation?

If he is much better than thor then his motivation issues don't really matter

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Baffled by this signing. Where is he going to play? Unless Jedinak and Samba are going to be out for the rest of the season, and Elphick will no be sold this makes no sense. What does this do to Bjarnason motivation?

I don't really care about Birkir's feelings at this stage. All I care about is promotion. 

• Like 2

To a certain extent I'd rather have players who are contracted to  Villa and want to play for Villa than talented players on loan who see Villa as a temporary home. He might well add to the team or he might upset the dynamic- it just seems a random punt at this stage of the season. I could well be wrong but just seems a odd signing.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you read the last few pages you might get a good idea mate.  ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

To a certain extent I'd rather have players who are contracted to  Villa and want to play for Villa than talented players on loan who see Villa as a temporary home. He might well add to the team or he might upset the dynamic- it just seems a random punt at this stage of the season. I could well be wrong but just seems a odd signing.

I'd agree in any normal season. This one though - I'd rather get promoted. 

Also what you seem to be suggesting is make no signings at all, whether they improve us or not?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You will indeed be proved wrong.

For me this guy is good enough to start ahead of Thor, Jedi, Whelan, Elphick and Samba. He is very versatile between both positions and we could afford to let Elphick & a CDM go this window and it still wouldn't be a problem.

It is a great move by the club at such a crucial stage of the season, a player that is better than hslf of the squad in those positions we already have and a player who I have been told is the next Paul McGrath (by someone who knows him very well).

The dynamics are very sensible too with it being a loan. I am sorry but I don't buy into this avoid loans doing PL clubs favours stigma. I think we need to realise what league we are in still and to be able to pull of such a signing is absolutely unbelievable.

It also allows us to move one or two names on from these two positions thus freeing up wages for surplus players. He is 2 players in effect who won't be on massive wages but could allow us to free up 2 lots of wages and maybe a few £m along the way in fee's too.

This is far from odd my friend, it is very good to see and shows organisation at the top level.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Â