Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

57 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m not sold yet tbh. That defence still looked shaky as **** and if it wasn’t for a great save by Nyland and a great block by someone (Elmo?), we’d have lost the game due to more crap defending. 

It wasn't perfect but it was several-fold more balanced, composed and clued up than under Bruce. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I worry about the triangle of Nyland - Chester - Tuanzebe... it's very weak in the air, close to our goal.

Contrary to the mantra here, I see some sense in playing Jedi as CB. Winning headers was his only job... however Jedi exposed us to other risks obviously.

21 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I worry about the triangle of Nyland - Chester - Tuanzebe... it's very weak in the air, close to our goal.

Contrary to the mantra here, I see some sense in playing Jedi as CB. Winning headers was his only job... however Jedi exposed us to other risks obviously.

i kind of agree, the problem is that when a cross is whipped in, a great header can clear anything within about 3-5 yards of him, so let's say 16 square yards. (assuming there's not too much congestion).  the penalty area is 18 x 44.  it would take about 49.5 Jedinaks to cover every yard.  But since not all spaces in the penalty area are as dangerous... the goal box is 6X24, so would only need 9 Jedinaks.  Again, that's assuming there's not too much congestion in the area.  Sorry for the use of yards rather than meters, what can I say?

My real point is.  I understand and agree that we are weak on high balls.  But better to coach the keeper, and work on positioning of all players, than throw on one guy that is otherwise limited.  Position on the ground is, mathematically, more important than inches in height and vertical jump.  Having one guy good in the air is, while better than having no guys good in the air, not adequate.

BTW, I realize the math is ridiculous, but I had fun and amused myself while doing it.  And I do think it kinda makes my point in an absurd way.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

i kind of agree, the problem is that when a cross is whipped in, a great header can clear anything within about 3-5 yards of him, so let's say 16 square yards. (assuming there's not too much congestion).  the penalty area is 18 x 44.  it would take about 49.5 Jedinaks to cover every yard.  But since not all spaces in the penalty area... the goal box is 6X24, so would only need 9 Jedinaks.  Again, that's assuming there's not too much congestion in the area.  Sorry for the use of yards rather than meters, what can I say?

My real point is.  I understand and agree that we are weak on high balls.  But better to coach the keeper, and work on positioning of all players, than throw on one guy that is otherwise limited.  Position on the ground is, mathematically, more important than inches in height and vertical jump.  Having one guy good in the air is, while better than having no guys good in the air, not adequate.

BTW, I realize the math is ridiculous, but I had fun and amused myself while doing it.  And I do think it kinda makes my point in an absurd way.

Good maths mate, if you felt good doing them, I'm all for it :).

I agree and do not suggest we should get Jedi back on. But Nyland is not a rookie, and he seems to do his goaltending from the goal-line. It's not going to change much with coaching, I don't think. so, I worry. But that's the life of a Villa fan, I suppose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

i kind of agree, the problem is that when a cross is whipped in, a great header can clear anything within about 3-5 yards of him, so let's say 16 square yards. (assuming there's not too much congestion).  the penalty area is 18 x 44.  it would take about 49.5 Jedinaks to cover every yard.  But since not all spaces in the penalty area are as dangerous... the goal box is 6X24, so would only need 9 Jedinaks.  Again, that's assuming there's not too much congestion in the area.  Sorry for the use of yards rather than meters, what can I say?

We use yards in football so it’s fine mate.

Also I actually see where you are coming from. 

Problem for me is you have to include a Nyland in to the equation. As negative one Nyland will mean we need plus one Jedinak to balance it out. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Looked good tonight. Reads the game well and good on the ball.

He's woeful in the air. but hopefully that's down to not being used to the physicality of this level and will come in time.

Definitely earned his right to stay in the team next to Chester.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terrific in the last two games, most impressed with his reading of the game. Bruce just a clown for playing him at right back so often.

Whilst I wouldn’t personally call Bruce a clown, it certainly shows what a mess he’d got himself into this season. How does he not see that in training ?

Â