Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

On 18/10/2018 at 19:41, sir_gary_cahill said:

Haha I don’t blame you at all, I’m older now and more experienced, I was only about 17 years old when I came out with these out of this world statements as you put them

So Gary, it would appear you are essentially  VT's own 'baby bro'. ;)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s good enough to play the whole season, would be a waste of a loan if we got cover in Jan in my opinion 

He looks like he could be but it would most definitely not be a waste if we got in CB cover in Jan. I would be very worried if one of our CBs got injured. Jedinak can play there as emergency cover and only that in my opinion. We should not be planning with Jedinak as a CB.

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep it is a big weakness of his. Half the time doesn’t even jump. 

He did look better today though and showed good composure on the ball. 

It is a big weakness when our other CB Chester is on the small side and our keeper won't come off the line. We're exposed, which is why Swansea sent high flailing corners into our box causing havoc in the end. I agree with everyone that Tuanzebe is good enough on the ground, but we will pay for our central defense + keeper's inability in the air. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It's absolutely bonkers that we played this bloke at RB

Agreed. There have even been posters on here that claimed Jedinak was a better option than Axel. 

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

It's testament to how clueless Bruce was. Smith made some very simple changes at the back and instantly we looked a lot better, a right back at right back, a left back at left back, and two centre halves in the centre back positions, what a novel but effective idea, instantly looked more balanced and far less shambolic. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's testament to how clueless Bruce was. Smith made some very simple changes at the back and instantly we looked a lot better, a right back at right back, a left back at left back, and two centre halves in the centre back positions, what a novel but effective idea, instantly looked more balanced and far less shambolic. 

Almost sounds like Bruce tried to get the sack

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Almost sounds like Bruce tried to get the sack

Or he had his favourites who he refused to drop and rather shoehorn them all in than let down his inner circle, he got blinded by his own loyalty to them and was too stubborn to admit it.

19 hours ago, Farlz said:

I suggested earlier that the reason for that was that he was being bullied off the ball far too easily and needed some games where those mistakes wouldn't cost us as much while he got used to the physicality of the game, which made sense at RB for a few games (remember, he's only really played reserve or youth football before which is totally different). Even Bruce moved him to the center in his last few games, I think Smith will benefit from Bruce's "cluelessness", which is good for us

19 hours ago, av1 said:

Agreed. There have even been posters on here that claimed Jedinak was a better option than Axel. 

Jedinak WAS a better option than Axel, Axel is clearly improving as the season goes on and he gets up to speed. Also, I'd argue that Jedinak is still a better option against those arseholey teams that pump the ball long to a giant of a striker every 4 seconds, games against teams like Swansea who keep it on the floor Axel is the better option - although even they started pumping a lot of high balls in at the end and causing all sorts of problems, against teams that do that from minute 1 we need someone commanding

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why, because he is a Centre Back who's best position is Centre Back?

Pretty sure it was a stroke of genius by the previous regime because without having played all those games in the wrong position being exposed and looking terrible he wouldn't been able to slot in at CB now :blink:

• Haha 1

I still think the right back thing was either that he'd been "promised" he'd play (which is **** stupid) so he was shoehorned in at right back rather than risked in the middle.

Or

he was seen as a centreback option for most of the season and he was being played at right back in an effort to get him up to speed before he was risked at centreback.

I'm inclined to go for the second option but that's probably giving Bruce too much credit than people are comfortable with.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still think the right back thing was either that he'd been "promised" he'd play (which is **** stupid) so he was shoehorned in at right back rather than risked in the middle.

Or

he was seen as a centreback option for most of the season and he was being played at right back in an effort to get him up to speed before he was risked at centreback.

I'm inclined to go for the second option but that's probably giving Bruce too much credit than people are comfortable with.

I would agree - its the second option. Backfired because he made more mistakes at RB !

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I’m not sold yet tbh. That defence still looked shaky as **** and if it wasn’t for a great save by Nyland and a great block by someone (Elmo?), we’d have lost the game due to more crap defending. 

I think he was played at RB because Bruce had insisted that Jedi was good enough to be first choice at CB and was too stubborn to change his mind when it wasn't working.

And perhaps he there also was a promise that Alex must play (daft if so).

Also not sold on him being a very good choice at CB, but atm he's the least bad one we have to partner Chester.

Â