Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, tommybread said:

I've watched Axel for many years through the u18/19/21/23s and now his few first team appearances. His best position is easily at CB, he is a CB. He has and can play at RB and DM but he is a CB. He is absolutely rapid and has pretty good strength. Stand out attribute is his composure and calmness at the back, good on the ball and a smart defender. Biggest weakness is easily his aerial ability which he is a bit weak at. A common trend I've been noticing in quite a few young CBs and STs for that matter coming through the top academies. 

He definitely needs some game time as he just isn't getting it at United. What do you lads reckon, is there spots there for him to get regular play or will he just be used as backup to cover when in need? Really hoping he can go somewhere he can play regularly. Hopefully at CB, but just play time anywhere his vital for him right now. 

Thanks tommyB for the insight

Even he can play DM we don't need a loan signing in that position. I would say long term yes we need a young DM to replace Whelan and Jedinak, but to me it makes little sense to get someone in for less than 6 months to play the odd game in that position, and then go back to United.  Unless we get promoted and could actually buy him, which are 2 quite big ifs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Even he can play DM we don't need a loan signing in that position. I would say long term yes we need a young DM to replace Whelan and Jedinak, but to me it makes little sense to get someone in for less than 6 months to play the odd game in that position, and then go back to United.  Unless we get promoted and could actually buy him, which are 2 quite big ifs.

This season and last how many games have we won without either jedinak or Whelan? About two maybe.

Whenever jedinak was injured last season we were terrible. It's one reason why I can't jump on the anti Whelan bandwagon...he's been an important signing for us. 

Am I right that tomorrow we could be without both of them?

My point is that this seems to be a crucial position. He can cover centre back too.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

If Elphick is going, as some sources have said, then it makes sense to bring in a young and talented CB on loan. And if he can play DM then that’s all to the good because as we all know Jedi isn’t invincible any more, and Whelan is massively inconsistent. 

I’d say he’s probably being brought in to replace Elphick’s place as substitute CB, and then in the summer when we know more and can spend more (if we are in PL) then we can sign a permanent player in that position.

2 hours ago, tommybread said:

I've watched Axel for many years through the u18/19/21/23s and now his few first team appearances. His best position is easily at CB, he is a CB. He has and can play at RB and DM but he is a CB. He is absolutely rapid and has pretty good strength. Stand out attribute is his composure and calmness at the back, good on the ball and a smart defender. Biggest weakness is easily his aerial ability which he is a bit weak at. A common trend I've been noticing in quite a few young CBs and STs for that matter coming through the top academies. 

He definitely needs some game time as he just isn't getting it at United. What do you lads reckon, is there spots there for him to get regular play or will he just be used as backup to cover when in need? Really hoping he can go somewhere he can play regularly. Hopefully at CB, but just play time anywhere his vital for him right now. 

Definitely back up, no chance he gets in ahead of a fit Terry and Chester.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why do you think that? You mean keep him in the top flight? 

He isn't going to play ahead of a fit Terry or Chester, I hope we aren't trying to sign him to play DM or RB. To me Manu would be better served to find him a club where is guaranteed game time.

Just my opinion of course but if I were his manager I wouldn't think Villa would be my best option. 

As a fan I feel it's a bit of a football manager signing. We are signing him cos he is good, but for me he isn't the player we need be signing for our next 5 months of football.

Priority should be a striker and a left back. If we can't get either of those id rather we didn't sigh anybody.

On the other hand if Axel is happy to come here as a 3rd choice CB and sit on the bench then by all means sign him up. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

He isn't going to play ahead of a fit Terry or Chester, I hope we aren't trying to sign him to play DM or RB. To me Manu would be better served to find him a club where is guaranteed game time.

Just my opinion of course but if I were his manager I wouldn't think Villa would be my best option. 

As a fan I feel it's a bit of a football manager signing. We are signing him cos he is good, but for me he isn't the player we need be signing for our next 5 months of football.

If centre half is his main position then you're probably right. But I think he has played DM as well? 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If centre half is his main position then you're probably right. But I think he has played DM as well? 

But again I don't see him getting ahead of a fit Jedi or Whelan, still feels like where signing him cos he is a talent, not because he is necessary. 

If it was a signing for the future I would think differently but I think we can sign more important players for the rest of this season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tommybread said:

A really interesting point and you can see it in the way the big players want games ref now, Neymar and the like think they're playing basketball at times.

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

I don't see why Mourinho would let him go to be a substute somewhere, doesn't benefit them at all

Mourinho has said he won't leave until the end of the month anyway. It depends on Bailly returning and anyone else picking up an injury. He needs a loan either way because getting practically 0 minutes at United is definitely not helping Axel. Mourinho also bizarrely doesn't let the young ones like Axel play with the u23s so therefore they have absolutely zero match sharpness when they do finally get a bit of time with the seniors. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Definitely back up, no chance he gets in ahead of a fit Terry and Chester.

How often is a fit Terry though'? I see he has been out since November, is he expected to be out for much longer?

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think Manu will be actively looking to send him somewhere better suited than us.

I don't know how suited to Villa he'll be but I hope so that we'll find him a club he'll get a good amount of minutes at. But unfortunately with many of our recent loans it doesn't seem like we actually put that much thought into who the loanee club is. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

CB is definitely his main position. He has played a little at DM in the youths and in the first team but in the first team it is mainly because Mourinho simply won't play an inexperienced CB so he gets stuck in at DM or RB for he rare few minutes. He can play DM and would improve with more experience playing there but he looks like a CB playing midfield. He is very good on the ball for a CB, but there is a big difference between playing in midfield and being good on the ball at CB. 

• Like 2

Â