Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's played 1/7 game at CB for Man U 3 at RB and 3 at DM.

At fault for the Ipswich and Brentford goals, in position he has played equal most for United first team you want to use as yardstick, due to poor positioning and being asleep but these faults will disappear at CB??

Are you counting the games in pre-season and for reserves? and many many years in one of the most competitive academies in the world.

And yes i do think there would be a noticeable improvement, positioning knowledge is specific to particular positions. Look at Jedinak being a prime example of that or centre-backs when played at DM. 

Also, don't underestimate the difficulty in playing out-of-position in a massively under-performing defence that is lacking organisation.

Just out of interest, who do you think should be the CB pairing?

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

I want him to be given a run at CB, I want us to give him that chance to develop and am hopeful he will push on and become reliable there. It is better to take the hit on some ropey performances than presist with Mile, at least there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

The thing that concerns me most with Axel though is aerially, it's not that he is outmuscled or seems to be losing out a decent percentage of headers. It's the amount of times he will misread the flight of the ball and not even be in a position to challenge for a header that is concerning. He has done it quite a few times already.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Ah, look at you with your quaint common sense and reason. Didn't that sort of thing used to all the rage at one time, back in the olden days?  In facxt didn't that STeve Bruce fella used to adopt a similar approach. Whatever happened to him, anyway? The one who came here a few years back and sorted out the defence..? He might have been a bit rubbish at coaching attacking play, but he could make a defence solid. Perhaps we should get him back to replace the current "funky" numpty, whoever he is.

Not to mention that we have a new (and understandably nervous) goalkeeper behind them. He really needs a steady, reliable back four in front of him, and the poor sod's got the exact opposite. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Just out of interest, who do you think should be the CB pairing?

At the moment it should be Chester and Jedinak.

Despite the fact Jedinak isn't up to it.

That we're int he position of arguing between an aged defensive midfielder in Jedinak and an unproven, shaky looking loanee is criminal

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

At the moment it should be Chester and Jedinak.

Despite the fact Jedinak isn't up to it.

That we're int he position of arguing between an aged defensive midfielder in Jedinak and an unproven, shaky looking loanee is criminal

So what you're saying is that if is broke don't fix it?

I do agree the whole situation is a farce though, but actions must be made and solutions must be tried.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

So what you're saying is that if is broke don't fix it?

I do agree the whole situation is a farce though, but actions must be made and solutions must be tried.

No. I’m saying absolutely fix it. 

What im saying is Tuanzebe has shown nothing to suggest he is the fix. 

It’s like complaining that I haven’t tried to fix my flat tyre with a hammer. 

36 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's worrying that the weakest aspect of his game appears to be defending. Yes it is different at fullback but he just looks so poor in the air that you wouldn't really trust him at centre half.

I remember Sam Johnstone also looking shakey when he first arrived.. after a few games consistently he turned out to be one of our best players last season.

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's worrying that the weakest aspect of his game appears to be defending. Yes it is different at fullback but he just looks so poor in the air that you wouldn't really trust him at centre half.

Yes I have been surprised how poor he seems to be in the air given his size. Maybe its a mentality thing, I should imagine he was fairly dominant against the players he was up against at U23 level. Its a bit of a culture shock playing with the adults and that is showing. It is the type of thing you would expect to improve but Villa arent exactly in the position to wait and hope. I would imagine he'll be dropped from RB with Elmo coming into the role now we have more options out wide. 

Even so the "can he be worse than Jedinak" argument is worth consideration. Jedinak is obviously brilliant in the air which is probably why he's getting the nod just a shame he is so pants at everything else. As has happened a few times over the years at Villa if only we could mash the two of them together we might have half a decent player. 

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think all aspects of his game are worrying. He isn't going to make the grade at United that's for sure

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I want him to be given a run at CB, I want us to give him that chance to develop and am hopeful he will push on and become reliable there. It is better to take the hit on some ropey performances than presist with Mile, at least there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

How can this chance be given to him?

Fans do not accept mistakes, he will be crucified.

Young Ugo performances cant happen in this team, the players aren't big enough to support him and the neither are the fans. 

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nor will he be able to until he is played there and regularly.

But you could say that about anyone. Doris the tea lady hasn't been given a chance yet either.

Usually players get a chance because they show something that suggests they're worthy of it.

As usual people are blaming Bruce because he hasn't played Axel at CB yet.
Maybe it's because Axel hasn't shown he's worthy of a start yet?

I've certainly not seen anything to suggest he is

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I remember Sam Johnstone also looking shakey when he first arrived.. after a few games consistently he turned out to be one of our best players last season.

What about the dozens of players every season all over the league who look shakey at the start and then DON'T become a good player.

A negative won't turn into a positive just because it happened to a different player once.

(and FWIW JOhnstone was far from one of our best players last season. He did fine. Nothing more)

Here is the opinion of England international Luke Shaw;

"I think Axel is unbelievable," Shaw told MUTV. "I think the talent he's got is frightening. He's strong, he's quick, he's energetic, he reads the game well, he's a good passer of the ball, and he's got everything.

"For me, his main position is probably central defender. I think if he nails down one place, it will be central defender. But like I said, he's got everything and he's still very young.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd//shaw-hails-unbelievable-tuanzebe_316574.html

I think he should be given a go at CB. A strong CB and a leader should have been priority no.1 this summer. Even if we had kept Terry we need someone younger for the long term. I don't understand why we have Bree, Taylor, Hutton etc as wing backs/RB/LB and we stick a CB out there. Play him in his natural position and let's see how good he is. Should have been shadowing Terry in training last summer. God knows the amount of experience him and Chester have he could have learnt off both of them. He'll do the Villa thing and look ok playing for us, go back to Man Utd or another team and go on to do well probably!

Â