Car insurance v Warranty who pays

Straggler

I hope you wise Villans can help.
I have had problems with my Ford Kuga (2014 model purchased 18 months ago). It failed before Christmas with horrible grinding noises coming from the front left wheel. I got it taken to my local Ford dealer who said that an impact had knocked (sheered) some bolts off the gear box and that subsequent shaking had damaged the prop shaft.
As it was due to impact and the repairs quoted running into the thousands I had the insurance take it on. Direct Line took it to their own mechanic who has said that it is mechanical failure and no sign of any impact damage so not covered under insurance.
I do however have the car under warranty still with the dealer (the same place the original diagnosis was done). This does now mean that I am stuck between the insurer and the dealer both saying in their expert opinion the problem is not theirs.
There isn't a third option, it is either an insurance job or a warranty job, but how to I get this to a conclusion?

The only thing they agree on is that bolts are missing on the gear box and it is this that has caused all the problems, it is how and why they are missing that the argument is over.

For the avoidance of any doubt the Ford dealer has done all the servicing on the car and we have a 36 month warranty that is still running from the purchase of the car.
thanks for your help in advance.

thanks for the advise guys, as it happens I did put a similar post on money saving expert.  I got two replies both saying get it looked at independently and use the result of that to go after one or the other.

• Like 1

Are you aware of any impact or accident? If not, then the insurance would likely be right. They would only cover accidental damage. Have you shown either company the other engineer report? I wouldn't necessarily get an independent engineer review yet until you've discussed it with ether party, because you could be stuck with the cost of it.

Dealers are talking shite.

Ask them where the impact occurred and where their evidence for this is.

There’s no way an impact (with no external signs of damage) would cause bolts to sheer off the gearbox.

Talk to trading standards and tell the garage that unless they make good the damage under the warranty then you'll have no option but to take them to court (small claims isn't that expensive).

• Like 2

Really you want this sorted by the dealer under warranty as you'll be shafted in the long run by losing your no claims bonus if insurance pay.

As Bicks says, tell them there has been no road accident or impact and that it is a result of normal driving.  If the car cannot cope with that then they need to repair it.

Also, is there a risk the insurer might make it a class C or D right off if they repair it as a result of an "accident"? That will massively drop its value.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â