The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think footballers should be shamed for their dives. Especially these hand on the shoulder that makes the knees buckle type. Or the already half way down then the faint contact comes.

One half of me agrees, the other finds anything that isn't attempting to play the ball annoying.

If a player is putting their hand on a opponent's shoulder, it is only ever to impede them.  Nothing else.

44 minutes ago, bobzy said:

One half of me agrees, the other finds anything that isn't attempting to play the ball annoying.

If a player is putting their hand on a opponent's shoulder, it is only ever to impede them.  Nothing else.

Sorry but I disagree, it sometimes can be for balance and other times it's just a natural reaction to an object (namely another human being) coming into close proximity with you.

It's still a contact sport (technically, last time I checked).

Edited by bannedfromHandV

in ayew's case vs lovren it can be a natural buffer, you aren't going to run belly 1st in to the back of someone, you are going to put your hands in to their back, that then grows in to a slight push which then grew in to lovren falling over

regardless of the force of the push him putting his hands up in the coming together is completely natural

Considering some pens that's been given I think Phil Jones might count himself a bit unlucky that he didn't get a freekick for the first Sheffield goal yesterday. Especially since defenders usually get the 50/50 calls in those situations.

Not that I'm complaining, it was hilarious.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sorry but I disagree, it sometimes can be for balance and other times it's just a natural reaction to an object (namely another human being) coming into close proximity with you.

It's still a contact sport (technically, last time I checked).

Contact where you're not impeding, yes.  You can clearly tackle someone by winning the ball and make contact with them.  Anyone pushing, pulling or grabbing the opponent is doing so purely to impede them/gain an advantage.  It isn't balance or a natural reaction to something being close to you.

huge VAR controversy in Madrid where PSG is awarded a penalty and Courtois is sent off only to have the ref check VAR and finding a tiny push by Gana on Marcelo in the build up so the card is rescinded and the penalty scratched off.

Thing is the ref was standing 2 meters from the Gana situation with perfect view, looked at the situation and waved it through. It was a minute push on a player on the opposite half of the pitch before the pass towards Icardi was hit. Again raises the question of how far does VAR go back and check?

PSG not happy.

Edited by sne

On 25/11/2019 at 15:26, sne said:

Considering some pens that's been given I think Phil Jones might count himself a bit unlucky that he didn't get a freekick for the first Sheffield goal yesterday. Especially since defenders usually get the 50/50 calls in those situations.

Not that I'm complaining, it was hilarious.

I thought exactly the same, surprised it wasn’t mentioned but I think the narrative was about ‘lol Man Utd’ which I’m down with.

• Like 1

Interesting shift happening in Swedish media atm.

A couple of the high profile writers who's been very pro VAR and frankly been condescending against those who didn't think VAR was great are now coming around and are even admitting that it should be scrapped as it is ruining football.

The shambles in Madrid last night was the final straw for Thomas Willbacher at Expressen. And more are turning coat.

Credit to Simon Bank who's been firmly against it the whole time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

VAR working as intended in our game and the Leicester/Everton game. Not sure if there was a tweak over the international break but it's been much improved since then.

Worked well despite the linesman in both games. They're under instructions not to flash for close calls, yet they keep doing it. 

VAR is complete shit and should never have been invented, as someone said in another thread. A total buzzkiller.

VAR must work real time to bring celebrating goals back. Also, human interference must be eliminated to bring an element of level playing field. 

Get VAR back in when it's all AI and works real time. Right now, it's a disaster.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

VAR is complete shit and should never have been invented, as someone said in another thread. A total buzzkiller.

VAR must work real time to bring celebrating goals back. Also, human interference must be eliminated to bring an element of level playing field. 

Get VAR back in when it's all AI and works real time. Right now, it's a disaster.

Did VAR affect Jack's goal? It only affects the "celebration" of suspicious goals like Mings' who looked offside. If VAR was done by AI and in real time like you say, there would still be that same level of doubt after scoring a dubious goal. It's the fact that everything is up for scrutiny that causes it, not the technology itself.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Did VAR affect Jack's goal? It only affects the "celebration" of suspicious goals like Mings' who looked offside. If VAR was done by AI and in real time like you say, there would still be that same level of doubt after scoring a dubious goal. It's the fact that everything is up for scrutiny that causes it, not the technology itself.

And the scrutiny must be taken away, hence machines. No human.

Too many goals are suspect, and they've started to look things back??? I'm completely fed up with how VAR is used, totally and absolutely. Must do better.

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Mings didn’t celebrate a great goal at Old Trafford because of VAR. literally ruining the game.

He might have been offside. He knew it. I didn't even celebrate either because he looked like he was miles offside. Turns out he wasn't and the correct call was made within a minute. I rather this than an incorrect call being made by the linesman on something so easily verifiable.

• Like 3

The instant-review of EVERY goal destroys the spontaneous fun of the game! If they want to use video, they need to do it the NFL way. Give each manager one "challenge" per half. 

The way it is now is so negatively transformative it's running the game experience. Total shambles and not well thought out. Piss **** poor.

• Like 2

So if its scrapped and we get relegated due to a dodgy goal on the last day that was offside but it means little Timmy ****face can jump up and down and scream jubilantly with his pals because his team scored then football is ok again? **** that.

This is exactly what the dinosaurs in charge wanted, this is what the refs wanted and the cud chewing old boys pundit club wanted. Ruin VAR and impede it enough to make the fans not want it. It works fine in every other sport because it is used properly in a sane way. The Football Powers never wanted it so they've done it arse about face intentionally.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â