The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Another millimeter offside decision. Can't see how Sterling was offside there.

Yes didn’t get why it was disallowed . 

Thing with Var there’s so many close things that could go either way. Liverpool do seem to have had the rub of the green except on the one occasion at Man U. 

The ref not going to Var and allowing our goal cost us a definite point which could be the difference between us staying up or not the goal not allowed against Liverpool was early enough for Liverpool to go on and win the game anyway 

Man City v Chelsea

Why aren't we seeing reds handed out for tactical fouls, it's getting beyond a joke. Even the Pundit said that was worth it for his team putting himself on the line for a card. these fouls are committed on a chance on goal and they care not for the person's safety or the fact they've pretty much cheated. I felt sorry for Chelsea in final 5 or so when City's player brought down the Chelsea player without  any real consequence and it's the one thing I can not tolerate in a football game.

VAR is sposed to correct the many injustices in a game that can happen including a referees bad call/calls.

VAR could of given a corner at both ends that's for sure and also denied City one corner but the Ref and linesman made bad calls.

VAR should be intervening where bad/wrong/accidental calls are made and it's not putting things right, it's making football look like a total joke, it needs to be stopped.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Man City v Chelsea

Why aren't we seeing reds handed out for tactical fouls, it's getting beyond a joke. Even the Pundit said that was worth it for his team putting himself on the line for a card. these fouls are committed on a chance on goal and they care not for the person's safety or the fact they've pretty much cheated. I felt sorry for Chelsea in final 5 or so when City's player brought down the Chelsea player without  any real consequence and it's the one thing I can not tolerate in a football game.

VAR is sposed to correct the many injustices in a game that can happen including a referees bad call/calls.

VAR could of given a corner at both ends that's for sure and also delight City one corner but the Ref and linesman made bad calls.

VAR should be intervening where bad/wrong/accidental calls are made and it's not putting things right, it's making football look like a total joke, it needs to be stopped.

I agree.

Tactical fouls should be an instant yellow card, doesn't matter if it's the first foul a player makes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree.

Tactical fouls should be an instant yellow card, doesn't matter if it's the first foul a player makes. 

Even fifa 20 now they have patched it for referees too hand out red cards on goal chance tactical fouls.

I think it's a slimy, nasty way of getting one up on the opposition without playing fairly. What players must remember is that each and every person puts in a 90 minutes, I'd be disgusted with myself and pulling one of these tactical fouls or the fact I felt the need I had too, I'd rather lose with provide than cheat the opposition. If those who I were to play against managed to get through me, I'd say fair enough they deserve that, is this how low football has gotten.

I feel VAR  should be involved in on these goal chance tactical fouls, instant reds would stop the culprits and is partly the reason why our Jack and other skilled players can't operate properly on a pitch.

I seem to remember sometime last season a few players in the championship coming out and stating that was what there manager told then to do during a game. If so and this is the case with some Coaches/managers then it's an absoloute joke and needs to be rooted out.

Sorry for rant lol.

Edited by Dave-R

Now nothing pleases me more than old whisky nose getting stuffed in OT, but surely that was a handball? Clearly used his upper arm to control the path of the ball. 

Swear VAR can't be understood. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The more I see these, the more I think Blandy's idea at the top of the page about an "umpire's decision" ruling makes so much sense - if there's an injustice, if there's something clear and obvious and shocking, then VAR is perfect for sorting it out - if a player is offside because his boots are size ten and not size eight, then it's as much about where you draw the line or the moment you believe the ball left the foot of the man making the pass as it is about science - if it's a whisker, then leave it with the linesman.

It is a very reasonable idea but where do you set the parameters?

It's still going to come down to millimetres but instead of trying to decide between offside or not you're trying to decide between it falling under clear and obvious or not, they're still going to be measuring using lines.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Refs in the PL aren't smart enough to realise that a hand on the shoulder doesn't make knees buckle but you'd expect them to know a tactical foul? 

Nothing annoys me more in football than 1) when this happens and 2) the commentary and pundits justify it as there was "contact".

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They can't stop tactical injuries either 

The game could carry on around them like in Rugby.

• Like 2

I think :

1) it should never be used for offsides. Simply because if you start, when do you stop?

2) VAR should be based on managers having one challenge each match.

3) other than that just use goal line tech. and keep VAR for violence, blatant red cards and mistaken identity. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nothing annoys me more in football than 1) when this happens and 2) the commentary and pundits justify it as there was "contact".

The game could carry on around them like in Rugby.

they could start with making players roll over once or twice and be off the pitch...

id like to see it like rugby where they treat them during play however unlike rugby a football can be put in just about any area of the pitch at any time (including unintentionally) so the likelihood of it resulting in an obstruction is increased, rugby can play over them and around them, football is harder, but it should be trialled properly

Â