The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

They're joking right?

Premier League statement on VAR

Improvement in accuracy

The shareholders were also updated that the introduction of VAR has improved the accuracy of match officials around "key match incidents" (KMI).

Last season match officials achieved 82 per cent KMI accuracy.

With VAR this accuracy has risen to 91 per cent this season.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1494932?sf223666884=1&fbclid=IwAR0E1LgkZ4Jlpj735cbwOyW41eFyl6OTll-ihxm1rzA-zr38R0un7VOhoVs

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm sceptical about that measured improvement and I would argue that the difference isn't worth the negatives. 

But 82 percent? That is/was embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Whilst the rest of the world and international football cracks on with it? 

If some fans had their way we would still be playing with leather footballs at the old Wembley. 

VAR needs to be in place. But it needs to change the way it's used next season, and we need the FA to look into the PL refereeing situation because THAT is the biggest issue.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

I'm sceptical about that measured improvement and I would argue that the difference isn't worth the negatives. 

As we discussed on that twitter, I'm in favour of it, but there needs to be the equivalent of "umpires call" from cricket for these minute offsides. Unless it's absolutely conclusive one way or the other on a really tight offside, then just let the decision of the Lino stand as flagged (or not).

The rest of it the system is fine, it's the operating of it - the handball at Arsenal, for example. Clear, deliberate handball by all the laws, yet VAR wouldn't intervene to overrule the ref. That's just wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

As we discussed on that twitter, I'm in favour of it, but there needs to be the equivalent of "umpires call" from cricket for these minute offsides. Unless it's absolutely conclusive one way or the other on a really tight offside, then just let the decision of the Lino stand as flagged (or not).

The rest of it the system is fine, it's the operating of it - the handball at Arsenal, for example. Clear, deliberate handball by all the laws, yet VAR wouldn't intervene to overrule the ref. That's just wrong.

As you know I'm totally agin, but I thought it earned its right to intrude at the World Cup. The difference between that and the PL deployment is staggering.

In other words I agree it can and should be implemented much better, even if I'm not a fan of having VAR in the first place.

• Like 1

Speaking after the meeting, Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow said: "I've got grave concerns about VAR but so has everybody in the room.

"We had a very robust discussion, messages got through to the Premier League and referees' association that fans are unhappy and many other stakeholders think we've got to do a whole lot better.

"I expect to see real improvements in the speed of decisions, consistency and above all else - for those of us in the stadia - we want much better communication of what's going on - before, during and after.

"I think if we get those three ingredients, things will look a whole lot better in a few months' time."

Article on Sky Sports regarding a meeting between the premier league and the PGMOL. Quick interview with our CEO in the middle of the article.

Clicky

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 18:43, ChrisVillan said:

As you know I'm totally agin, but I thought it earned its right to intrude at the World Cup. The difference between that and the PL deployment is staggering.

In other words I agree it can and should be implemented much better, even if I'm not a fan of having VAR in the first place.

It's easy to see when there was about 10 penalties given for wrestling or holding in the box off a corner in the WC yet I don't think there's been one this season

VAR again at the centre of attention in a football match. Watching Palace v Liverpool and Palace have had a perfectly good goal denied.

Then Kevin Friend you know who he is right mmmm the compete back of that screwed us at palace, he didn't give palace a penalty for what was an obvious foul in the box, it didn't even go to VAR which is even more ridiculous. 

The F*** VAR chants are on the go again.

Football just isn't football so long as VAR is operating, I didn't hear any fans celebrating at the time of the goal and to me that's not what football is about. I would much rather football be taken back to the days without VAR.

• Like 1

The strange thing about the Palace one isn't that no one at the ground knew why it had been disallowed, it's that no one in the TV studios had any idea what was being checked - the BBC initially said it was probably for offside and had to wait for a statement from the league to even know what it was that had been checked - when people with access to replays aren't sure what you're looking at, then the likelihood is that there hasn't been a terrible injustice.

Leicesters penalty which they've scored on the rebound and now have to retake is a terrific example of how crap this system is.

It doesn't even really matter if it's wrong or right, it does so much damage to the way the game works, to fans ability to enjoy it, to the emotion of goals - it's just awful - it's ruining the game. I'd like to see it gone and I'd like to see everyone involved with introducing it drowned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Incidentally, VAR works via radio - there's an office at the ground that takes radio signals from the dickheads at FA HQ and then puts the messages that come back onto the screen. So if we can figure out a way to block radio signals for 90 minutes, we can enjoy the game. Failing that, coats over the cameras please lads.

Â