The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

For once Danny murphy called something right, it’s something we’ve all said before. VAR referee is scared to overrule the infield ref. 

If used like in the World Cup, you don’t overrule the referee, the referee reviews the footage and then alters their own decision. It’s not hard. 

The premier league as always has implemented it pathetically!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For once Danny murphy called something right, it’s something we’ve all said before. VAR referee is scared to overrule the infield ref. 

If used like in the World Cup, you don’t overrule the referee, the referee reviews the footage and then alters their own decision. It’s not hard. 

It's weird because they're happy to overrule linesmen who are only microscopically off. I guess they're not worthy of the protection the feel they need to afford the referees.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep, no idea why they didn't do it like that. Let the ref take a 2nd look at his own decision. Don't make (often junior) refs overrule more senior colleagues.

Offside and attacking handball checker. 

On MOTD they said 11 decisions have been overturned. 10 to rule out goals and 1 to give one. It's negative only.

• Like 4

The PL doesn't want referees stopping the game constantly ala rugby, to have decisions double checked (or in the specific case of football, to go look at a screen at pitchside).

Unfortunately this therefore means the ref can only, occasionally, get a second opinion which they can choose to ignore.

Or, in short, it's shit.

With the amount of money floating around the PL, I was of the belief that not using technology to assist in making the correct decisions bordered on being irresponsible. Surely with the millions of pounds tied to every game and position on the ladder (and by extension - jobs and livelihoods), you'd want to use every method available to get the calls right? 

But the implementation of VAR in the PL has been so absolutely incompetent that it boggles the mind.

Tin foil hat on but I'm beginning to think more and more that the PL have purposely and knowingly implemented a half-arsed version of VAR to show that it doesn't work, and so can scrap it next year saying "at least we tried" 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 4

I have a new proposal for VAR which I would be interested in hearing thoughts on:

• Take the current VAR system
  • Dip it in hot fat and bleach
  • Stick it up Kevin Friend's arse
  • Slap Mike Dean in the face with it
  • Rub it on Mike Riley's cockhole
  • Sack the whole of PGMOL
  • Do a new VAR system based on the revolutionary concept of overturning bad decisions
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

The PL doesn't want referees stopping the game constantly ala rugby, to have decisions double checked (or in the specific case of football, to go look at a screen at pitchside).

Unfortunately this therefore means the ref can only, occasionally, get a second opinion which they can choose to ignore.

Or, in short, it's shit.

They won't need to keep stopping the game, example yesterday it would have been stopped once. 

Also the difference from Rugby is that in Football you rarely need more than one replay from a different angle to come to the correct decision whereas in Rugby they sometimes need several different angles because the ball is under a load of players. 

The most annoying thing for me is that as football is one of the last sports to start using this technology they really have no excuse for the stupid way they have implemented it, because they have plenty of case studies on how to use it and have plenty of expertise out there that they could have used to advise them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

With the amount of money floating around the PL, I was of the belief that not using technology to assist in making the correct decisions bordered on being irresponsible. Surely with the millions of pounds tied to every game and position on the ladder (and by extension - jobs and livelihoods), you'd want to use every method available to get the calls right? 

But the implementation of VAR in the PL has been so absolutely incompetent that it boggles the mind.

Tin foil hat on but I'm beginning to think more and more that the PL have purposely and knowingly implemented a half-arsed version of VAR to show that it doesn't work, and so can scrap it next year saying "at least we tried" 🤷‍♂️.

It's difficult to disagree with the bit in bold, in fact I think it's fair to say that is exactly what they have done. 

its fixed nothing

there is still the arrogance surrounding the refs and their inability to be wrong, the whole purpose of VAR is to accept that they need help to make correct decisions, there still doesn't seem to be enough power to the man sat watching the replay, he has to be able to overrule the pitch ref, without it its utterly pointless

The PL didn't really want to implement VAR. They were concerned that VAR would basically become the referee, that it would re-referee matches and the role of the referee in the pitch would become increasingly redundant, and the nature of the game would fundamentally change as more and more time would be spent sitting waiting for decisions or watching a referee at pitchside look at a monitor while the teams stand around having a drink.

Unfortunately the hobbled version they've cobbled together is arguably worse. We're now fixing things that weren't really broke, and arguably breaking them in the process, and drawing even greater attention to the fact we still have the mistakes that piss people off happening.

I do have some sympathy with what they've tried to do. I'm not for VAR, I don't like how it will change the game and I'm not sure football particularly fits with technological review. But... They've managed to get something that is actually worse than not bothering at all.

I still think giving each side a couple of reviews would help.  I wonder how many times refs would have overturned their own decisions if they had watched the replay themselves, rather then being told by their mate in the VAR room that their decision should stay.  Giving the managers a couple of challenges could force the ref to stop and check properly. 

6 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

The most annoying thing for me is that as football is one of the last sports to start using this technology they really have no excuse for the stupid way they have implemented it, because they have plenty of case studies on how to use it and have plenty of expertise out there that they could have used to advise them. 

Especially considering its the best funded sport in the world and this is the richest Football League in the world.

PL really needs to do better.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think giving each side a couple of reviews would help.  I wonder how many times refs would have overturned their own decisions if they had watched the replay themselves, rather then being told by their mate in the VAR room that their decision should stay.  Giving the managers a couple of challenges could force the ref to stop and check properly. 

Doesn't really solve anything though, just adds another tactical consideration.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

The PL didn't really want to implement VAR. They were concerned that VAR would basically become the referee, that it would re-referee matches and the role of the referee in the pitch would become increasingly redundant, and the nature of the game would fundamentally change as more and more time would be spent sitting waiting for decisions or watching a referee at pitchside look at a monitor while the teams stand around having a drink.

Unfortunately the hobbled version they've cobbled together is arguably worse. We're now fixing things that weren't really broke, and arguably breaking them in the process, and drawing even greater attention to the fact we still have the mistakes that piss people off happening.

I do have some sympathy with what they've tried to do. I'm not for VAR, I don't like how it will change the game and I'm not sure football particularly fits with technological review. But... They've managed to get something that is actually worse than not bothering at all.

Yes, this I think.

All of the things that have affected VIlal this season - not getting a pen at Spurs for McGinn being chopped down, the Bournemouth player and his repeated fouls, the Palace no goal, the Arsenal no pen, the Arsenal player in the wall - all of those, every last howler would still have had exactly the same adverse impact if there were no VAR.

It isn't righting wrongs - referee mistakes -  it's pretty much just cancelling out the odd goal here and there. That's not the fault of VAR technology or the people operating it, that's the fault of the way the Prem League has chosen to use it. and not use it. It's much much worse than is the case at the World Cup etc.

• Like 3

They just have to get away from this clear and obvious error thing, it's just an excuse not to over rule the ref which makes it pointless. 

If it looks like an error it is an error and should be called as such.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They just have to get away from this clear and obvious error thing, it's just an excuse not to over rule the ref which makes it pointl9. 

If it looks like an error it is an error and should be called as such.

Or even give the VAR final say/authority. They have the better view anyway. Take out the A and call it Video Referee. Instead of trying to protect the on-field refs, this gives them incentive to become better. Give them some kind of bonus for having fewer decisions overturned by VR. Right now, they're just being coddled.

In basketball, when a call is deferred to to the video team...they just stand there with the headset and wait for the ruling of the video ref. "It's a flagrant"..."last touch by the Wizards" etc and they go with that. None of this "eh you know it looks like a handball on the replay but it's not "clear and obvious" so it's your call fella! Wouldn't want to get in your way or undermine you or anything" we're seeing in the PL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Or even give the VAR final say/authority. They have the better view anyway. Take out the A and call it Video Referee. Instead of trying to protect the on-field refs, this gives them incentive to become better. Give them some kind of bonus for having fewer decisions overturned by VR. Right now, they're just being coddled.

That's the only way it works imo

But the next step to fix it will be a TV for the pitch ref to go and view

Â