The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

It's almost as if - and wait for this cos it's mind blowing......but it's almost as if two people can see the same thing but have two different opinions on it!

Wow man, totally did not see that coming.

VAR has solved nothing and it's taking time out of a sport that already suffered with loss of time.

I know it's a big discussion about VAR and it's kind of hard being critical if you don't know what the technology is allowed to determine, i.e. when can it intervene or not. 

However to me a couple of things are just utterly bonkers to begin with. 

They (the FA) state : " 

The referee may be assisted by a video assistant referee (VAR) only in the event of a 'clear and obvious error' or 'serious missed incident' in relation to:

• goal/no goal
  • penalty/no penalty
  • direct red card (not second caution)
  • mistaken identity when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team

The assistance from the video assistant referee (VAR) will relate to using replay(s) of the incident. The referee will make the final decision which may be based solely on the information from the VAR and/or the referee reviewing the replay footage directly ('on-field review')."

1) now firstly why should a referee be allowed to overrule a VAR decision, when a referee is filled with bias and technology isn't? 

2) who the hell decides what a "clear and obvious error' or 'serious missed incident" is, when I've seen countless penalties not being given so far and double yellow reds. Why can't they just take the clear cut mistakes and make VAR referee it? What's the **** point of VAR when you don't actually use it. 

This is probably already said so rant over. 

On 18/09/2019 at 08:27, sne said:

Fair enough if VAR doesn't review this after the embarrassments during the womens WC.

But surely the ref has to call it then when they have gone to the trouble of having a new rule about it.

Ref's not making calls because they have VAR to save them, and VAR not allowed to step in to fix blatant wrongs and mistakes like this.

640@60.jpg

At least 1 foot on the line by the keeper...

And 3 barca players in the box

Its as inconsistent as ever - in how it's used, when it's used and then the decisions its kicking out 

Add to that probably more thanks to the media its becoming increasingly confusing as to what its there for 

• Like 1

Re-living my Golazzo youth, I am watching Serie A again on Premier Sports, and VAR use there is completely comical. Handballs in the penalty area are a particular treat. You could make a career of trying to find the defender's arm rather than your target man/striker in that league. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's almost as if - and wait for this cos it's mind blowing......but it's almost as if two people can see the same thing but have two different opinions on it!

Wow man, totally did not see that coming.

VAR has solved nothing and it's taking time out of a sport that already suffered with loss of time.

Exactly. But that's the whole point of VAR...to supplant the referee's heat-of-the-moment view with a more measured view after consulting video evidence. It's not like it's 2 different referees offering conflicting views at the same time as you make out. It's there to compliment the ref's view, but it's being used to protect them and their decisions for whatever reason. Football is an old boy's club down to the match officials it seems.

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The technology is there, the technology is great. It's being used by completely incompetent imbeciles in a farcical and nonsensical way.

Would have been better if my mum had implemnted it to be honest...and she texts me at least once a week, every week asking how she gets into her emails on her phone.

Bunch of old **** words removed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

The current implementation of VAR is utterly pointless. Why they've tried to do something different in the PL than everywhere else is beyond me.

They have ballsed it up with shit refs and lack of balls. Mike Dean was best ref we got this season. 

Has VAR actually overturned anything this season? 

A couple of things I would like to see them look at...

First, I get why yellow cards aren't reviewed, but when there's a double yellow they should be allowed to review both bookings. The sending off has the same (huge) impact on the game on as a straight red card, so it's crazy not to treat it in the same way.

Second, I would like to see simulation handled by VAR as follows (apologies for the confusing numbering):

1. If a player has been booked for simulation (eg Grealish vs Palace), this should always be reviewed by VAR (Grealish "dive" was only reviewed for whether or not it was a penalty), because unlike any other kind of decision it is an accusation by the referee that a player is trying to deceive him. It's such an injustice when a player is wrongly booked for diving that it should be corrected.
  2. If a player has dived and not been booked for it, that should be reviewed more often. At the moment the review only happens if a penalty has been awarded. They should extend that to:
    1. any blatant dive in the penalty area (e.g. Mark Noble, Wesley), even if the referee didn't stop play
    2. any dive in the opposition half (maybe within 10m of the penalty box) if the referee has awarded a direct free kick
    3. any simulation anywhere on the pitch if it was aimed at getting another player sent off

Properly looking at all this stuff in-game would have a massive deterrent effect. On Monday, Mark Noble would have been sent off and Wesley would have been booked.

I know there will still be subjective cases, like where a player hooks his leg around the defender, or makes a meal of a minor foul, but the kind of blatant diving we saw from Noble and Wesley would be stamped out, because there would be zero incentive to do it. Surely that's what fans want to see?

What fans don't want to see is endless reviews of debatable handballs and minor nudges (as happened at the World Cup), but the PL have gone too far towards the other extreme.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

A couple of things I would like to see them look at...

First, I get why yellow cards aren't reviewed, but when there's a double yellow they should be allowed to review both bookings. The sending off has the same (huge) impact on the game on as a straight red card, so it's crazy not to treat it in the same way.

This. So much this. 

I've been saying this since the opening match. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I was all for but it has been so badly implemented I hope it is binned off sharpish.

Maybe that is what they wanted. It is just a lucky dip on what decisions get given and don't

More so than ever tbfh.

Yup I feel the exact same. The implementation method of it is the worst they could have possibly chosen.

They need to use it properly like the rest of the world or sack it.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Offside by a pube. Apparently. What a joke. If it was Villa I'd be raging, but then we've already had a far worse decision go against and I was. Oh well, makes this game more interesting at least. All the VAR mistakes even out over the course of a season don't they?

Â