The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

On 04/09/2019 at 19:13, gurru991 said:

I would like to think that Refs are constantly being graded throughout the season with their decisions being reviewed. It doesn't help Villa but surely Friend gets a failing grade.

Be interesting to see where Kevin Friend is refereeing this weekend, if it's not in the Premier League then we know h'es had a grilling out of the public eye and been punished / demoted.

Will be very interesting to see how VAR is used this weekend after it having been a bit of a mess in recent weeks.

They've had their "emergency" meeting, they've admitted that's it's not worked as it should and now we will see where they take it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see in implemented much more again and a return to how it was during round 1

21 hours ago, sne said:

And the ref should also use it more or be told to consult it on more occasions.

Unfortunately fans get in the way, too. Constant whinging about the time it takes the ref to do so, they would rather decisions be wrong than wait a few minutes, apparently.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Unfortunately fans get in the way, too. Constant whinging about the time it takes the ref to do so, they would rather decisions be wrong than wait a few minutes, apparently.

If things are so difficult to spot that it takes several minutes to decide when watching a video then it won't be a major error missed.

Most stuff is easy to spot on the replay and if they still can't be sure after watching the video then I'd be fine with it having been a possible human error and the game continued without a delay.

It's a living thing, dubious situations are part of the game.

• Like 2

The problem with VAR is that referees don’t like to criticise each other, therefore they don’t want to overrule a decision. 

In the World Cup it seemed a far better use, where VAR would signal to the referee that they think he’s missed something, then the referee would review themselves and make a decision to overturn their own decision. This means that they are not being criticised. Not sure what they are trying to do with it at present 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

The problem with VAR is that referees don’t like to criticise each other, therefore they don’t want to overrule a decision. 

In the World Cup it seemed a far better use, where VAR would signal to the referee that they think he’s missed something, then the referee would review themselves and make a decision to overturn their own decision. This means that they are not being criticised. Not sure what they are trying to do with it at present 

The refs on the pitch are also not making calls they otherwise would have made because they have a fail safe with VAR.

Problem is as you say that the VAR ref is reluctant to change the calls on the pitch.

It's a double mess.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The implementation has been nothing short of a farce but i expect nothing less with the state of refereeing in this country.

Richest league in the world and we still have middle aged refs who can barely jog.

Too many jobs for the boys, as always.

I think the standard of refereeing is terrible, but I can’t agree about the fitness. For me that is the one thing they are very good at. 

Fair enough if VAR doesn't review this after the embarrassments during the womens WC.

But surely the ref has to call it then when they have gone to the trouble of having a new rule about it.

Ref's not making calls because they have VAR to save them, and VAR not allowed to step in to fix blatant wrongs and mistakes like this.

640@60.jpg

At least 1 foot on the line by the keeper...

Apparently the VAR check in the Chelsea game last night took 2 minutes to complete - and I'd assume that whatever form of measure they used last night they use every time.

So okay, 2 minutes here and there not so bad I guess.....

However, I was watching the game and rewound it as 2 minutes seemed short to me, from the moment the ball hit the defenders arm to Barkley missing the penalty it was actually over 4 minutes, which is worrying.

So Chelsea not only had no advantage having missed the penalty but then also lost 4+ minutes out of the last 10 minutes available - double whammy.

I remain utterly unconvinced as to the legitimacy of VAR in football.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Apparently the VAR check in the Chelsea game last night took 2 minutes to complete - and I'd assume that whatever form of measure they used last night they use every time.

So okay, 2 minutes here and there not so bad I guess.....

However, I was watching the game and rewound it as 2 minutes seemed short to me, from the moment the ball hit the defenders arm to Barkley missing the penalty it was actually over 4 minutes, which is worrying.

So Chelsea not only had no advantage having missed the penalty but then also lost 4+ minutes out of the last 10 minutes available - double whammy.

I remain utterly unconvinced as to the legitimacy of VAR in football.

Oh, and there were 3 minutes of time added on in total at the end of the 90 minutes. As mentioned, 4 minutes alone were lost because of VAR alone.

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Anyone still think it's better than before?

57 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The technology is there, the technology is great. It's being used by completely incompetent imbeciles in a farcical and nonsensical way.

This to answer the above question. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

The technology is there, the technology is great. It's being used by completely incompetent imbeciles in a farcical and nonsensical way.

Couldn't be said better. There are blatant fouls the whole footballing world agrees on, that they chose to ignore. 

With no VAR its fine, its a bad call in the heat of the moment. We're humans. But when the fouls are being reviewed and it's there for the whole world to see. Yet they chose to do nothing about it. It's both infuriating and embarrassing. 

What is it? self-preservation? 

Â