The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

That angle has me absolutely fuming.

Grealish getting up, no appeals for a penalty, no appeals for a dive, the ball still in play, and he's watching Lansbury and blowing the whistle right as he lines up the shot.

Kevin Friend is a cheat. 

A couple of frames later & it looks even worse, sure he's putting the whistle to his mouth in the original pic but looks like it takes him a sec to blow it just as henri swings

EDX4RxjWwAAYtO4?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Because personally I'd prefer to wait a few minutes for a correct decision rather than being annoyed for days after a terrible decision like we had on Saturday being allowed to happen because some fans say waiting what 30 seconds to a minute isn't football.

Well we could have waited however long we wanted because apparently according to the VA Ref it was the right call and the whistle was blown anyway.

Obviously I disagree but since the refs are never wrong in the PL the wrong decision turned out to be the right decision, even with VAR.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Well we could have waited however long we wanted because apparently according to the VA Ref it was the right call and the whistle was blown anyway.

Obviously I disagree but since the refs are never wrong in the PL the wrong decision turned out to be the right decision, even with VAR.

The VAR line From the premier league is just a lie to protect the ref it was never checked the timings doesn't match up also has been said the ref blowing up meant VAR couldn't get involved.

I've been supportive of VAR but it is being implemented in the most useless possible way in the premier league, and it looks like it's going to be used to protect the ref if he makes a dodgy call like what happened Vs Palace someone questions it and they reply saying VAR checked it and agreed. IMO in its current state VAR needs to be scrapped

• Like 3

On 03/09/2019 at 10:22, sne said:

VAR could have only been used to check a possible penalty...in which it decided no clear and obvious error was made. which i agree with. some angles show jack tripped, some that cahil caused him to fall.

because the ref blew the whistle, there was no goal for VAR to check, so it didnt. had the word removed friend not blown his whistle, they would have seen no clear and obvious reason to disallow the goal. VAR did not say that it was the right call, they just said it wasn't a clear penalty.

interesting thoughts on the latest villa view podcast...i did wonder when i saw jack calling the lino a **** word removed (was right in front of me) whether that would come back to bite him on the backside. also theorised whether friend's arrogance made him want to be the first ref to book jack for diving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

interesting thoughts on the latest villa view podcast...i did wonder when i saw jack calling the lino a **** word removed (was right in front of me) whether that would come back to bite him on the backside. also theorised whether friend's arrogance made him want to be the first ref to book jack for diving.

Wasn't it his second booking for diving?

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Wasn't it his second booking for diving?

IIRC, the 1st one he got wasn't a dive either. Was a blatant pen. And he ended up sent off over it!

Edited by StefanAVFC

I would like to think that Refs are constantly being graded throughout the season with their decisions being reviewed. It doesn't help Villa but surely Friend gets a failing grade.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The commentator called N'Zogbia, Bacuna twice there :lol: . Man, we were so bad back then. While we're not doing great right now, I have way more confidence in this current group of players than the ones we had then.

Jury still out I think.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jury still out I think.

True, but they're just better players for the most part. Like our back 4 is much more solid. Our back 4 in that game was Richardson - Clark - Okore - Bacuna. Our current second string back 4 is better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

And that's the 4 they cop to, guess Grealish was a referee error.

VAR: Premier League referee chief Mike Riley admits four mistakes this season

Riley: "We are constantly learning. On these occasions, the judgement should have been that it was a clear and obvious error"

VAR has made four mistakes so far during the Premier League season, referees' chief Mike Riley has admitted.

The examples, which include Fabian Schar's equaliser for Newcastle against Watford and Leicester midfielder Youri Tielemans' apparent stamp on Bournemouth's Callum Wilson, were discussed in Thursday's meeting of Premier League shareholders.

The other two errors were the referee's decision not to award Manchester City a penalty when Jefferson Lerma stood on David Silva's foot in the Bournemouth box and a decision not to give West Ham a penalty when Sebastien Haller was brought down by Norwich's Tom Trybull.

This is a frank admission from the official in charge of Premier League referees. He sat in front of the most powerful figures in English football and admitted: "VAR got it wrong." He left the hotel and highlighted his own referees' errors on Sky Sports News. Many officials would have ducked interviews but Riley faced it head on.

Let's not be too dramatic. There were four mistakes from nearly 230 checks, fewer than two percent. Riley admits his officials are "learning" and patience is the name of the game. On six occasions, VARs have overturned a decision. The general feeling is that VARs have helped referees, as they were intended to do.

VARs never promised to be perfect but supporters have high expectations. Nobody wants to be on the receiving end of a poor decision. Some critics will continue to argue that if VARs don't correct clear and obvious errors, and only makes matters worse, what is the point in having it?

But, by admitting errors, Riley will hope to move on from them. He knows the pressure is on and VAR is in the spotlight for every game. He can't change the past but his guidance can help shape future decisions. Let's see how his referees react in this weekend's games.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11807734/var-premier-league-referee-chief-mike-riley-admits-four-mistakes-this-season

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

look at his wording though "VAR is wrong"

no human error in there, not in the original decision (of which some are easy) or in the checking

I know. VAR cannot be wrong. VAR is a replay.

It's the people behind the screen and the ref on the pitch that's wrong.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

look at his wording though "VAR is wrong"

no human error in there, not in the original decision (of which some are easy) or in the checking

‘VAR’ is the official in the truck so it is saying that there was a human error, just not the human on the field of play

Â