The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

17 hours ago, Genie said:

How come the handball in the Super Cup wasnt given? Not being clever, genuinely wondering.

Not exactly sure which handball you're referring to but there's different rules for European games compared to Premier League games I think...

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not exactly sure which handball you're referring to but there's different rules for European games compared to Premier League games I think...

That just makes it more confusing for refs

I thought this was called for after watching Atkinson having a mare yesterday. A thread where we could just discuss refereeing performances this season and VAR. 

Think most people can agree on Atkinson being poor. But this is the second match in a row where there's situations I would expect to be picked up by VAR, which isn't. Against spurs it was a foul on Grealish, and this time it was a red card for Bournemouth. 

If I remember the match day programme, that had an explanation of VAR, it said VAR was used for

• 1) goal scoring situations
  • 2) penalty decisions
  • 3) mistaken identity
  • 4) red/yellow cards
  • and I think there was a 5th. 

So why on earth wasn't VAR used for the red card on Bournemouth? When spurs was dragged down against spurs it was either outside their box, or outside our box and thus a direct action to stop us on the counter, which is a yellow card. So why wasn't VAR used? If VAR is only used for red cards, is it only direct red cards? 

How do we know the integrity of the people sitting at the VAR panel? Who are they? How do you know they have no bias? 

There aspects around VAR I am really unsure about, and while I don't mind having technology being a part of the game, it's a bit unclear to me. And I just don't like how it's pretended VAR is this infallible solution to refereeing. 

I don't by any stretch miss the refereeing in the championship (cause well **** me), but I am no impressed by the refereeing standard the last two matches. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

This one, defender was very close and under the old rules would not have been given. However, I thought to give clarity in the new era if it hits a hand or arm that's clearly to the side of the body it's a pen. Neither the ref or VAR looked at it.

sport-preview-Stephanie-Frappart-2.jpg

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If I remember the match day programme, that had an explanation of VAR, it said VAR was used for

• 1) goal scoring situations
  • 2) penalty decisions
  • 3) mistaken identity
  • 4) red/yellow cards

I didn't read it, but either you're mistaken in what it said, or the programme was wrong.

VAR is used for red cards, but not yellow cards, even if it's a second yellow.

You're right about the other 3 points, and there isn't a 5th.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't read it, but either you're mistaken in what it said, or the programme was wrong.

VAR is used for red cards, but not yellow cards, even if it's a second yellow.

You're right about the other 3 points, and there isn't a 5th.

That is very strange if it's true. The whole underlying reason of VAR was to use it for game changing decisions. If a second yellow isn't a game changing decision, then I don't know what it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That is very strange if it's true. The whole underlying reason of VAR was to use it for game changing decisions. If a second yellow isn't a game changing decision, then I don't know what it. 

It's definitely true

The VAR will not intervene for an incident where a second yellow card leads to a red card, unless the VAR believes the second yellow card should be upgraded to a red. 

I agree with you, it seems a very odd distinction to me, but the VAR was right not to intervene yesterday.

Edited by Davkaus

How effing stupid is that. Seriously. 

On Wiki it says: 

the VAR system seeks to provide a way for "clear and obvious errors" and "serious missed incidents" to be corrected

VAR

So what on earth does does that mean? More importantly, how does a second yellow NOT qualify?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

9 hours ago, sne said:

It's "OK" for defenders if the ball brushes their arm, but not OK for attackers.

Having different handball rules depending on which side of the pitch you are is beyond retarded. 

I agree with this 100%. It should either have to be deliberate, or it should always be penalised regardless of intent. Changing that depending on where you are on the pitch is absurd.

A shot could be going in, deflect off a defender's arm (no problem!), because of that hit an attacker's arm, then go in, only to have the goal cancelled and a free kick be awarded to the defending team. :lol:

Edited by Davkaus

You've got to draw the line somewhere, I suppose. Ok, so we enable it for yellow cards. Just second yellow cards though? What if a player gets a yellow card, but earlier in the game, they should have had another one, but it wasn't awarded, and it wasn't reviewed because it was the first yellow card? :lol:

I think what it probably comes down to is that a yellow card is a lot more subjective than a straight red. 

• Like 1

I get your point, but it could be that VAR only goes into effect it it would lead to a red card. Thus formerly not given yellow cards are not relevant. 

Either way, if what you're saying is their argument then they have to change their entire wording, cause by definition VAR is not there to stop "clear and obvious errors" nor "serious missed incidents". 

But Atkinson, you useless word removed. Retire please. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2019 at 19:53, Stevo985 said:

The "deliberate" part of the handball rule is stupid. Handballs are very very rarely deliberate. If a defender stands on the line and stops the ball going in accidentally with his arm that should still be penalised. 

I liked the idea of any handball being penalised, deliberate or not. But I'm not so sure after the last couple of weeks.

Remember discussing this with you in the past.  Deliberate is far better.  Handballs should be few and far between and the amount of ridiculous ones being given in the World Cup ruined the matches for me.  The same is happening with this rule change - I said at time and will repeat it now, it's a farce.

The only upside is that defenders seemingly aren't punished as severely - which is a bit bizarre, but an improvement.  The rest is utter madness.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I agree with this 100%. It should either have to be deliberate, or it should always be penalised regardless of intent. Changing that depending on where you are on the pitch is absurd.

A shot could be going in, deflect off a defender's arm (no problem!), because of that hit an attacker's arm, then go in, only to have the goal cancelled and a free kick be awarded to the defending team. :lol:

I don't think your last bit is correct.  From memory, there's a real emphasis on "gaining control" in the handball rule.  Your example is a deflection that means the ball carries on in the same manner - the goal would still stand.

Â