The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

To be honest I don't think VAR is the only problem it is the ridiculous nature of some of the rules of the game.

Why is the goalkeeper not allowed to stray a millimetre off their goal line? If they dive straight along the line they will crash into the post.

Why is the strikers toenail not allowed to be past the last man without being offside? It is surely impossible for the striker to know exactly all of their body is onside when they are moving at speed without starting their run well in front of the defender.

What happened to the rule about handball having to be deliberate? In the City game today the ball brushed Laporte's arm it was clearly unintentional.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've advocated having any handball penalised in the past, but I think I can already see that's wrong. Wolves goal last week and now this, it's stupid.

I like it. Makes things black and white. Anything that removes a grey area from football is better imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I like it. Makes things black and white. Anything that removes a grey area from football is better imo. 

I thought it would be the same but there's no way those two goals I mentioned shouldn't stand.

8 minutes ago, villadodo said:

Why is the goalkeeper not allowed to stray a millimetre off their goal line? If they dive straight along the line they will crash into the post.

That's not the rule. They can take a step forward or dive forward, just not until the ball's been kicked.

It's actually been the rule for a long time, it's just been poorly enforced

9 minutes ago, villadodo said:

What happened to the rule about handball having to be deliberate? In the City game today the ball brushed Laporte's arm it was clearly unintentional.

The "deliberate" part of the handball rule is stupid. Handballs are very very rarely deliberate. If a defender stands on the line and stops the ball going in accidentally with his arm that should still be penalised. 

I liked the idea of any handball being penalised, deliberate or not. But I'm not so sure after the last couple of weeks.

Our potential pen for Wes today (I was interested in a pen shout real time);VAR checked and ruled no pen.

Bloke in front of me without any hint of sarcasm: “I’ll have to see that on MOTD, VAR probs a blues fan”

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Had it have been Kane's hand the ball brushed and then cleared, as he and Laporte were challenging together, would a penalty have to be awarded?

no, as it didn’t directly score or lead to a goal, and it wasn’t in an unnatural position.

They’ve tried to improve the rules and made them just as, or more, annoying.

Actually, in that situation according to the new law - if the ball hit Kane’s arm by his side, then Laporte’s, then dropped to Jesus who scores, it’s no goal and no penalty. Stupid.

Edited by a m ole

I realised today that it's had the side effect of creating a completely new feeling for me, something along the lines of 'VAR desperation' where even though the pen was right in front of me and was stonewall, there was a small part of me which was hoping VAR would check it and somehow overturn it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djdabush said:

I realised today that it's had the side effect of creating a completely new feeling for me, something along the lines of 'VAR desperation' where even though the pen was right in front of me and was stonewall, there was a small part of me which was hoping VAR would check it and somehow overturn it. 

We have "provisional" goals now.

Provisional pens, provisional red cards.

Its shit. I hate it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The handball rule changed this summer

"deliberate" "intentional" are both now irrelevant in scoring a goal, its an automatic foul

How come the handball in the Super Cup wasnt given? Not being clever, genuinely wondering.

Dont know

My understanding of the rule was that it applied if the ball went in direct from the offense (so it went in off laportes arm, like Rodriguez vs us) which I think is fair enough but the way its being applied is bollocks, that's a shit decision

It is however the hand ball rule that's ****, VAR is just the tool that let's them see it, Jason cundy was on twitter last night calling it the new VAR handball rule, there's no such thing 

It's "OK" for defenders if the ball brushes their arm, but not OK for attackers.

Having different handball rules depending on which side of the pitch you are is beyond retarded. 

• Like 1

It's ridiculous. It seems that the Man City VAR decision is getting all of the headlines, when actually it was probably more of a correct decision than the Billing 2nd yellow. Even Eddie Howe knew it by taking him off at half-time.

The worst thing is that Billing would've been given a 2nd yellow by the ref if he made that tackle against a Top 6 player, and VAR would not have corrected the decision.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dont know

My understanding of the rule was that it applied if the ball went in direct from the offense (so it went in off laportes arm, like Rodriguez vs us) which I think is fair enough but the way its being applied is bollocks, that's a shit decision

It is however the hand ball rule that's ****, VAR is just the tool that let's them see it, Jason cundy was on twitter last night calling it the new VAR handball rule, there's no such thing 

Yep. VAR is doing a superb job in that respect because it’s spotting all these handballs. 

The problem is the new rule is shit. 

Â