The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

MOTD saying the Arsenal goal should have stood. Xhaka is literally standing right in front of the GK and has to jump out the way of the ball, if that isn’t having an influence on play what is? The offside rule is a **** joke at the moment.

Pet peeve of mine, not even sure if “influence” is written in the rules but the likes of the one we had vs Man City last season are infuriating and possibly the biggest example of officials don’t understand football, of course a guy stood in the 6 yard box is influencing the keepers decision making

• Like 1
3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pet peeve of mine, not even sure if “influence” is written in the rules but the likes of the one we had vs Man City last season are infuriating and possibly the biggest example of officials don’t understand football, of course a guy stood in the 6 yard box is influencing the keepers decision making

This is true, but Xhaka is literally stepping on GK toes when the corner is taken and backing into him. He doesn't move from the position - granted - but it does force the GK to move.

As such he's in an offside position when the header happened. He never strayed from that position and clearly influenced the keepers decision to move. Correct call, for mine.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â