The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

VAR is only used in the FA Cup at Premier League grounds. another farce

Why?

I'm on board the "VAR is totally shit" train this season, despite my earlier support of it. It's an absolute shit show.

But I don't understand the argument that if it can't be used at every single ground in a competition it shouldn't be used at all. Why not?

I just think it undermines the competition if its not available for all clubs. What if we were robbed of a blatant goal on Saturday and went out but as Fulham didnt have VAR the ref had zero help 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I just think it undermines the competition if its not available for all clubs. What if we were robbed of a blatant goal on Saturday and went out but as Fulham didnt have VAR the ref had zero help 

I don't really see why it undermines it at all.

Is it the same with goalline tech? Genuine question I'm not sure if it's used. I'm assuming Gillingham or Rochdale didn't have goalline tech for their games at the weekend. But I don't think it undermines the competition that the clubs/grounds that did have it were able to use it.

On 03/01/2020 at 14:49, bobzy said:

Oh, I agree he doesn't dive - but he completely milks every challenge against him.  It's whether or not you wish to call that "cheating", I guess.  I don't like players who feign injury but there are a lot out there.

something to be said for self preservation too. sometimes allowing yourself to fall and letting your body absorb the impact can reduce the strength of a direct kick or the awkward landing you would have to make if you stayed on your feet

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

something to be said for self preservation too. sometimes allowing yourself to fall and letting your body absorb the impact can reduce the strength of a direct kick or the awkward landing you would have to make if you stayed on your feet

It's more the rolling around "in agony" than exaggerated falls.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

I'm on board the "VAR is totally shit" train this season, despite my earlier support of it. It's an absolute shit show.

But I don't understand the argument that if it can't be used at every single ground in a competition it shouldn't be used at all. Why not?

Because it causes imbalance and ruins the integrity of the competition.

I'm so unshocked that you don't see an issue in this.

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because it causes imbalance and ruins the integrity of the competition.

Why does it?

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm so unshocked that you don't see an issue in this.

You seem determined to get me to back VAR because of my previous stance. I don't. It's been an absolute disaster in the Premier League.

You're right I don't see an issue with it, but I'm happy to change my mind if someone tells me an issue. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why does it?

You seem determined to get me to back VAR because of my previous stance. I don't. It's been an absolute disaster in the Premier League.

You're right I don't see an issue with it, but I'm happy to change my mind if someone tells me an issue. 

Because a competition should apply the same rules and regulations to each participant, I don't see why you can't see that.

Let's say Liverpool went out on a VAR decision but Man United didn't because it wasn't being used, despite the two instances being identical in nature - how is that remotely fair?

And yes, I am being a little deliberate in hounding you on this a bit but that's cos you were so certain of VAR being a good thing and if everyone (namely the powers that be) had seen it for what it is we wouldn't have had football ruined, perhaps that's hyperbole but I only see VAR getting worse from this point and more intrusive in football.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because a competition should apply the same rules and regulations to each participant, I don't see why you can't see that.

It does.

Let's say Liverpool went out on a VAR decision but Man United didn't because it wasn't being used, despite the two instances being identical in nature - how is that remotely fair?

It's not fair. But it's not unfair because of VAR. It's unfair because a ref made a wrong decision.
How is that different to the same thing happening without VAR but one ref giving it and one not giving it?

I'll ask the same question I asked before, should we not use goalline tech in cup competitions either?

And yes, I am being a little deliberate in hounding you on this a bit but that's cos you were so certain of VAR being a good thing and if everyone (namely the powers that be) had seen it for what it is we wouldn't have had football ruined, perhaps that's hyperbole but I only see VAR getting worse from this point and more intrusive in football.

Well done. One internet point for you.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It does.

It's not fair. But it's not unfair because of VAR. It's unfair because a ref made a wrong decision.
How is that different to the same thing happening without VAR but one ref giving it and one not giving it?

I'll ask the same question I asked before, should we not use goalline tech in cup competitions either?

Well done. One internet point for you.

Only one? 

Another joke decision tonight with the last minute Snodgrass equaliser being disallowed because the ball hit the arm of Declan Rice well before the ball went in the net.

The rule that if the ball touches any part of the arm/hand in the making of a goal its disallowed is an absolute joke.

Who the hell comes up with these rules????

They cant have any idea of what the game is about and surely have never played it.

Its a complete bag of shit

39 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Another joke decision tonight

Nah, they've got that spot on (in terms of correctly applying the laws of the game).

Though can't disagree with the rest, the handball law is currently a one sided farce loaded against the attacking team. 

Unfortunately I suspect the remedy in future will be to penalise defensive handballs as punitively as they've done this season with attacking handballs as well.

• Like 1

A fine example of the insanity of the new handball situation. Once the ball has hit Declan Rice's hand from very close range, West Ham are correctly and legally in possession of the ball (under IFAB laws, Rice has committed no offence) yet cannot legally score. When the goal is ruled out, VAR is not correcting an error or oversight by the match officials – it is actually implementing a totally different criterion to the on-field laws.

• Like 2

Do other leagues that have used VAR have these same problems? The World Cup was fine apart from the ridiculous hand ball given in the final but even that was down to the refs decision once checking the screen.  Champions league has had the odd issues but on the whole ok. 

Why are we getting it so wrong in the Premier League? 

Just now, PieFacE said:

Yet all their fans were chanting "VAR! VAR! VAR!" multiple times during the game. 

People will still call for it if it suits them. I hate VAR, but if I felt something had gone against Villa and VAR was present I’d want it checked.

I think there’s a place for it, not checking goals for offside though. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

People will still call for it if it suits them. I hate VAR, but if I felt something had gone against Villa and VAR was present I’d want it checked.

I think there’s a place for it, not checking goals for offside though. 

Yeh definitely a place for it. It can only get better. They just need to start using it an aid to assist refs when they have clearly got it wrong. Not to try and get every single decision 100% correct and making up new interpretations of the rules to try and accommodate this.

If there’s no clear and obvious error made by the on field ref or linesmen. Then stay the f**k out of it. 

Â