The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

17 minutes ago, sne said:

So is Moyes part of the PL Illuminati?

Seem to have some big calls going his way straight away.

Him and Mark Hughes are both in the New World Order, I'm convinced of it, that's how they both continue to get good jobs despite being absolutely useless.

• Like 2

The Noble penalty is one of the worst I have seen. He goes down in stages, it goes to VAR and you can clearly see he trips himself yet it’s still given. It’s ok saying those in the VAR booth will cut out the mistakes but who is holding them to account? It could be a honest mistake or it could be something more sinister. It’s a complete farce.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The Noble penalty is one of the worst I have seen. He goes down in stages, it goes to VAR and you can clearly see he trips himself yet it’s still given. It’s ok saying those in the VAR booth will cut out the mistakes but who is holding them to account? It could be a honest mistake or it could be something more sinister. It’s a complete farce.

There was a flapping of arms behind him, which would have resulted in minimal contact. To be honest, I've always wondered why attacking players don't do this more often. Run at pace in the box, and slow your run as a defending player gets near your back. Any contact from behind is a penalty, even if it's completely soft.

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

There was a flapping of arms behind him, which would have resulted in minimal contact. To be honest, I've always wondered why attacking players don't do this more often. Run at pace in the box, and slow your run as a defending player gets near your back. Any contact from behind is a penalty, even if it's completely soft.

He pulled Wilson's shirt first! Then he kicked the ground and fell over.

Proper shithousery and shame on the ref AND VAR for falling for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He pulled Wilson's shirt first! Then he kicked the ground and fell over.

Proper shithousery and shame on the ref AND VAR for falling for it.

Another VAR fail, these kind of "simulation" acts were expecting to vanish with VAR.

Did anyone see Kane (serial diver) hold his face in agony last week after getting slight brush across his neck?

Cheats need to be banned.

19 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

A few days ago van dijk got away with handball because it was in the first phase of play, today we got done because wes was offside apparently during the first phase with the goal chalked off in the second phase, because he was offside in the first phase

It's not just the shit decisions, the consistency is worse

Exactly! At Norwich earlier in the season, Chelsea were allowed a goal with a clear offside in the build up. The official explanation was that the passage of play subsequently featured a backwards pass that "re-set" everything, creating a new phase (even though Chelsea maintained possession at all times and Norwich never touched the ball). So how the hell was the Wesley incident deemed all ONE phase yesterday?? With Burnley regaining possession and shanking an easy clearance back to Villa who then had to re-gather the ball, move it out to the right, cross and score? VAR is checking players' heels in an attack that was repelled FFS! Or is it just different rules for different clubs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Did anyone see Kane (serial diver) hold his face in agony last week after getting slight brush across his neck?

Out of interest, do you think the same of Grealish? He’s often fouled with minimal contact and goes down clutching his leg. 

14 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Exactly! At Norwich earlier in the season, Chelsea were allowed a goal with a clear offside in the build up. The official explanation was that the passage of play subsequently featured a backwards pass that "re-set" everything, creating a new phase (even though Chelsea maintained possession at all times and Norwich never touched the ball). So how the hell was the Wesley incident deemed all ONE phase yesterday?? With Burnley regaining possession and shanking an easy clearance back to Villa who then had to re-gather the ball, move it out to the right, cross and score? VAR is checking players' heels in an attack that was repelled FFS! Or is it just different rules for different clubs?

The problem is that “VAR” isn’t a robot as people seem to assume, it’s just another ref with a monitor. Therefore, you’ll get discrepancies. 

of course, it doesn’t excuse shit officiating - but it will invariably happen. 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Another VAR fail, these kind of "simulation" acts were expecting to vanish with VAR.

That was embarrassing from Kane, but not exactly unexpected from him.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Out of interest, do you think the same of Grealish? He’s often fouled with minimal contact and goes down clutching his leg. 

Did you see the way he tried to buy a booking yesterday? Went down like he was knocked out, had a quick peek to check the ref was looking then dropped his head again.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Difference is Grealish has usually riden about five fouls (with nothing given by the ref or VAR) by the time he finally gives in and falls over.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I feel a little uncomfortable sometimes with how he can often make the most of a challenge. Saying that he gets an awful lot of heavy challenges on him and I’ve never seen him dive to win a penalty without any kind of contact like people like Kane, Salah and Mane have done this year.

The Kane face holding was on a par with Rivaldo.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think at times he has to, gets fouled 5+ times a game, would love to know how many actual kicks he gets

Take for example wolves vs man City last week, man City lost because mendy didn't dive, traore all day fouled him but he stayed on his feet and suffered because of it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I feel a little uncomfortable sometimes with how he can often make the most of a challenge. Saying that he gets an awful lot of heavy challenges on him and I’ve never seen him dive to win a penalty without any kind of contact like people like Kane, Salah and Mane have done this year.

Yeah I don't think Grealish dives. He deliberately "wins" fouls and draws contact from other players, but I feel like every time he goes down it's a genuine foul, even if the contact might not be enough to knock him over. I know that's a very blurry area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Kane is simply one of the worst divers in the history of football.

18 hours ago, Genie said:

Oh, I agree he doesn't dive - but he completely milks every challenge against him.  It's whether or not you wish to call that "cheating", I guess.  I don't like players who feign injury but there are a lot out there.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

VAR is only used in the FA Cup at Premier League grounds. another farce

Hmm didn't this discussion come about with goal line technology too? I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's farcical. In theory (the theory being that VAR, like goal line tech, simply improves the accuracy of decision making), refereeing errors are just being reduced where they can be. Matches where the tech is not available aren't affected, but that shouldn't mean that officiating can't be "improved" where it is. 

Â