The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

VAR’s ridiculous armpit obsession is enough to drive you insane. Pukki can’t legally “play the ball” with the join between his chest and arm! Half the ball would be in contact with his arm and it would be handball! The first part of the chest with which he can actually “play the ball” is – in reality – about 3-4 inches closer to the sternum. So, on top of everything else (the frame-by-frame limitations… the on-screen Etch-a-Sketch nonsense… the problems around the ‘exact’ moment a pass is played…), the striker is being penalised for having a body part beyond (ha!) the last defender with which he can’t even play the sodding ball! Talk about anti-logic and anti-football. Are we all meant to look forward to a new generation of strikers who run around bolt upright like Michael Johnson? Worst thing to happen to football since the laws were first written down.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

VAR coupled with another tough season is really spoiling my enjoyment and love for football generally, im watching markedly less football this season.

From the 1st game vs Spurs I knew it be poison. Have probably watched 4 Premier League games not including Villa since. Absolute killed my love of the game which was low as it was 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From the 1st game vs Spurs I knew it be poison. Have probably watched 4 Premier League games not including Villa since. Absolute killed my love of the game which was low as it was 

I didn't even need to see a game to know it went against everything football stood for in my opinion.

I recall endlessly debating it with @Stevo985 over the summer who claimed it would just integrate seamlessly into the game........pretty sure he said by Christmas it wouldn't even be a talking point any longer........

• Haha 1

VAR has not been implemented properly, it's a hindrance 80% of the time.

But am I the only one thinking that not watching football, supposedly one of people's major hobbies on this forum, is a massive overreaction? 

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But am I the only one thinking that not watching football, supposedly one of people's major hobbies on this forum, is a massive overreaction? 

It's not that I think "**** it, I'm not watching while VAR is here". I just gradually find myself less and less interested with the same farce playing out every weekend. I watch the Villa but that's pretty much it.

For me it's just one of several factors though, and probably a smaller one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I didn't even need to see a game to know it went against everything football stood for in my opinion.

I recall endlessly debating it with @Stevo985 over the summer who claimed it would just integrate seamlessly into the game........pretty sure he said by Christmas it wouldn't even be a talking point any longer........

Ive already made my feelings clear since I’ve come back. 

I didn’t anticipate how farcically the premier league would implement it. 

I maintain if they’d implemented it the way other leagues and competitions have done so it wouldn’t be an issue. 

In its current iteration it’s an absolute farce and should be scrapped

• Like 3

Come back it's a good game so far! 

That's 1 each in villa games for stupid offsides, we benefitted from firmino but that was inconsequential, hoping today is the same 

Can't see them changing the rule until the summer, it's hit nearly every team now and in terms of balance and fairness it's shit for everyone 

This was brought in to eliminate 'clear and obvious' errors by pitch officials.

If an offside has to be decided with lines drawn on the pitch and plotted across three axises, it is not clear and obvious.

Scrap it, research how other sports do it (Cricket/Rugby/Tennis) and bring it back in when the bigwigs are less brainless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This was brought in to eliminate 'clear and obvious' errors by pitch officials.

If an offside has to be decided with lines drawn on the pitch and plotted across three axises, it is not clear and obvious.

Scrap it, research how other sports do it (Cricket/Rugby/Tennis) and bring it back in when the bigwigs are less brainless.

I think it’s only really offsides that are the problem, maybe we should suspend the use of VAR for them whilst we find a better way? Keep it for all the others checks. Leave offside with the onpitch officials.

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Whether it's right or not, I'll leave for you to decide, but clear and obvious does not come in to offside decisions and it never has.

My views on this are evident in the last few pages, but offside is considered objective, not subjective, and therefore clear and obvious does not come in to it. This was laid out at the start of the season, but no pundits bothered to read it and keep acting surprised about offsides that aren't "clear and obvious". It's just not relevant at all.

Edited by Davkaus

Once again they go in to microscopic levels in trying to find if a player might have been offside and draw arbitrary lines to justify it.

But they don't bother checking at what precise point the ball left the foot of the guy who passes the ball.

They are still just guessing.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It would be ridiculous if Wesley had scored it, but he wasn’t in play, and it was from a cross BEFORE the one Grealish scored from.

I can’t put into words just how much I hate it.

spacer.png

So basically Wes having bigger feet has **** us!  Might as well sign up the munchkins from the wizard of oz and the 7 dwarves!!

An absolute pisstake 

• Like 2

I simply do not understand why they are so insistent that they cannot change how its implemented mid way through the season.

Absolutely no one whatsoever agrees with how its being used so to ignore that for no other reason then pride is madness. Swallow your pride and bring out new implementation directives now before The Premier League implodes. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â