The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

That's what I mean, it's something that VAR isn't there to help with but it's a simple **** up, VAR can disallow goals cos someone is a gnats pube offside but it can't help with something as blatantly wrong as that 

The purpose of it is wrong 

Bad decisions still exist, same as the grealish dive "VAR can't look at it" makes it worse not better 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I mean, it's something that VAR isn't there to help with but it's a simple **** up, VAR can disallow goals cos someone is a gnats pube offside but it can't help with something as blatantly wrong as that 

The purpose of it is wrong 

Bad decisions still exist, same as the grealish dive "VAR can't look at it" makes it worse not better 

But it's not wrong. The rules are if the ref touches the ball it's play on, no matter how crazy the outcome is. 

Literally nothing to do with VAR

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But it's not wrong. The rules are if the ref touches the ball it's play on, no matter how crazy the outcome is. 

I thought they changed the rule and it had to be immediate stop of play and drop ball?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

4 similar incidents and all 4 absolutely wrong decisions in one game week (2 days). So shocking, that’s it’s no longer shocking. The offside rule was not invented to prevent perfectly good goals and neither should VAR be.

What's even more shocking is I had bets on Norwich, Sheffield United and Wolves to all score when they did, cost me a good 700 quid so should send the bill to Stockley Park and get a refund!🙄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What's even more shocking is I had bets on Norwich, Sheffield United and Wolves to all score when they did, cost me a good 700 quid so should send the bill to Stockley Park and get a refund!🙄

Yes that’s so irritating. Var is working against the goal market 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s wrong, the rules as of this season is the game stops and is restarted with an uncontested drop ball for the team in possession at the point it touched the ref.

• Like 3

NFL video replay rule or GTFOH

Each manager has one challenge per half.

The manager can challenge an offsides call, a free kick spot, a penalty, a non-penalty, an infringement, a goal, whatever. It's their prerogative. 

A goal is only reviewed if a manager uses a challenge.

The current system is a total calamity.

Edited by maqroll

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I thought they changed the rule and it had to be immediate stop of play and drop ball?

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That’s wrong, the rules as of this season is the game stops and is restarted with an uncontested drop ball for the team in possession at the point it touched the ref.

Ah ok fair enough. 

I didn’t know that. In that case it’s ludicrous

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

NFL video replay rule or GTFOH

Each manager has one challenge per half.

The manager can challenge an offsides call, a free kick spot, a penalty, a non-penalty, an infringement, a goal, whatever. It's their prerogative. 

A goal is only reviewed if a manager uses a challenge.

The current system is a total calamity.

Don't the NFL review every single touchdown? 

Fans still go crazy when their team score and the right decision happens 

I do wonder why it's so bad for football. Is it because NFL fans are used to stoppages and replays and we aren't?

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't the NFL review every single touchdown? 

Fans still go crazy when their team score and the right decision happens 

I do wonder why it's so bad for football. Is it because NFL fans are used to stoppages and replays and we aren't?

NFL fans are used to sitting around for hours on end with **** all happening 

It takes over 3 hours for an NFL game to finish

The ball is only in play for an average of 11 minutes in total 😂

• Like 1

Yeah of a touchdown is scored you're pretty much 2 mins from the extra point and 5 minutes away from the kick off anyway so they have time to do it

The thing is they don't need to look at how other sports do it, they need to look at how other countries and competitions do it, its only us making this mess, it's our poor refs continuing to be poor just with new technology 

What I did think was whether or not they'd look to have VAR specific refs, those who are quicker with the technology, asked before who scouts the refs, how does a young guy become a ref, look at the ages and fitness of some of them, do the older guys become Vars? Can you have a guy who isn't fit enough to be on a PL pitch still be good enough to be a VAR? Those kind of things need to be looked at and should make the system better over time

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Basically he's the same as the beachball that time Darrent Bent scored off it. It sucks but nothing they can do

Because I'm nothing but a laws pedant I thought I have to flag this up; that goal should have been ruled out and a drop ball awarded at the point of impact between the beachball (being an "outside agent") and football.  It (the -lack of- application of this law) was brought up by the post-match TV interviewers and an entertaining ignorance of the laws was displayed by both managers if I recall.  Prior to the law change this season officials were deemed to be part of the field of play (hence why assistant officials stand far back from the touchline, so there was no chance of them inadvertently preventing a ball from fully crossing the line and rebounding back into play), which is why that whole Andy D'Urso incident happened waaay back when.

Back on topic, not sure that NFL-style challenge flags are worth looking into; there are already booth reviews in gridiron for touchdowns and interceptions (so essentially the "game changing incidents" that are already automatically reviewed) - and goals are far more game changing events in association football than american (some cursory googling suggests that whilst it's about 2.8 goals per game in Premier League history and 4.8 TDs per NFL game, association doesn't have the "get out" scoring mechanic of field goals to supplement the scoring) - so essentially every (at least opening) goal would almost certainly be challenged, just on the off chance.  And that doesn't even get into the point that you're essentially arbitrarily limiting the scope for corrections on decisions across a game, rather than giving additional opportunities for potential corrections.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KHV said:

NFL fans are used to sitting around for hours on end with **** all happening 

It takes over 3 hours for an NFL game to finish

The ball is only in play for an average of 11 minutes in total 😂

They also don’t “go nuts” when they score.

I don’t know a sport that comes close to the outpouring of emotion and exuberance when a goal is scored in football.

At least that’s how it used to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Gallagher again on SSN showing that refs live on a different planet

The VVD handball was reviewed by VAR but he didn't influence the goal therefore the new rule wasn't enforced, accidental handball "good decision" according to him 

I don't know if I've ever seen a ref giving their opinions on one of these shows actually say their mate has made the wrong decision. 

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ye, that happened in the Villa v Southampton game the other week.

Â