The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Good calls on the Bournemouth goal and our penalty this weekend. Both of which almost got **** over by a linesman and referee respectively.

Yeah, our penalty was definetely a good example of VAR working. But for how long back can they check VAR? They had a check for a penalty for sheffield united too in the first half (I think) and that was when the ball was dead which I think was about a minute later. That felt ridiculous. The ball obviously didn't touch Hausse´s arm, but if it had they'd brought the play back about a minute.

32 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Yeah, our penalty was definetely a good example of VAR working. But for how long back can they check VAR? They had a check for a penalty for sheffield united too in the first half (I think) and that was when the ball was dead which I think was about a minute later. That felt ridiculous. The ball obviously didn't touch Hausse´s arm, but if it had they'd brought the play back about a minute.

The alternative is stopping play right there so VAR could check which seems worse to me.

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The alternative is stopping play right there so VAR could check which seems worse to me.

Yeah, but for how long? Let's say the defending team gets hold of the ball and passes it around like an italian defence for a few minutes, should they still go back? Or interrupt? Not saying you're wrong about this, I just wonder when it's getting too long between the possible offence and the ball going out of play. Normally the ball doesn't stay in play for long times, but it happens.

I think it's quite fair to say that the "clear and obvious mistakes" is not followed, for good and bad.

26 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Yeah, but for how long? Let's say the defending team gets hold of the ball and passes it around like an italian defence for a few minutes, should they still go back? Or interrupt? Not saying you're wrong about this, I just wonder when it's getting too long between the possible offence and the ball going out of play. Normally the ball doesn't stay in play for long times, but it happens.

I think it's quite fair to say that the "clear and obvious mistakes" is not followed, for good and bad.

Yeah it's hard to say. Should there be a cut off point? There could be a lot of tactical plays made by teams to keep the ball in play before the cut off point to avoid conceding an obvious penalty or something. Thinking about it like that, if VAR is checking, maybe it is best to stop play?

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Ludicrous millimetre offside decision just been dropped in the Brighton v Bournemouth game.

Can't be as bad as the one Pukki just scored for Norwich. Shocking. I'll say it again, that is not offside - if it is according to the current rules, then they are wrong. This shouldn't be what VAR is for, to rule out perfectly good goals.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

All of those are baffling decisions but the Pukki one is appalling. 

If VAR is going to be used for offside like it is being, the rule needs to change. You can't look at those and think 'Yeah, that's what offside was meant to do, rule out goals like that.

Also...

It's shit.

• Like 4

Make it so feet only are offside.

Or make it any body part you can play the ball with, but only naked eye. In the NFL, they don't use lines. And to overturn something, you have to see clear evidence.

• Like 2

Â