The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

What’s actually the point of linesmen now?

”I’ll raise my flag if I think it’s offside but don’t stop playing because if it’s not actually offside then I’ll be overruled anyway. If I don’t raise my flag and it is offside (to sub-atomic accuracy) then it will be given eventually.”

Edited by fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What’s actually the point of linesmen now?

”I’ll raise my flag if I think it’s offside but don’t stop playing because if it’s not actually offside then I’ll be overruled anyway.”

Still can make calls on fouls and handballs that the referees miss, and there are plenty of offside calls they make that don't directly lead to goals.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Thanks 1

Was about to say that the linesman in the arsenal game must've been blind, but the I thought that maybe he was told not to raise the flag for offside in such a situation. But still, that was a clear offside. Upon that the replay showed that though it was a freekick he didn't stand in line with the defenders.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

The opposite just happened in the Arsenal match. David Luiz was 2 days offside and the linesman didn’t flag, VAR still took a ridiculous amount of time to overturn the decision.

Clearly the better outcome, but they need to not **** about so much with these ones that are absolutely blatant.

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's on them tbf. Play to the whistle. They only have themselves to blame. They got outwitted by Jonjo Shelvey.

Oh yes, I agree 100%. It is a major cock up by the Sheff Utd players. I meant Wilder will be fuming with his players. His comments should be interesting, he doesn’t usually hold back!

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Clearly the better outcome, but they need to not **** about so much with these ones that are absolutely blatant.

Oh for sure, but we’ll never know with those ones if the linesman would’ve given it himself had they not been instructed to be “lenient” with flagging. You’d have to hope so.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think they're scared of ultimately getting the call wrong. People are just waiting to pounce on it, imagine if they got a simple offside call wrong.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What will happen at the end of the season a relegated team or maybe 2 will tally up the mistakes made by VAR and sue the Premier League

Nothing, just same as refereeing mistakes pre this season.

Shit will hit the fan last day of the season if there’s controversy.

Bit quiet in here so I thought I'd stop by for a bit of balance and say it seems like VAR did a pretty good job in the Premier League this weekend. Can't remember all the specifics anymore since it's now Monday morning, but they seemed to make the right calls, e.g. Rashford penalty and a few soft handballs in that one waved away.

Targett should've been sent off for us though. I presume there can't be retrospective bans for missed incidents anymore?

Have to say I dislike VAR, but being a referee in the PL atm. must be very difficult when you see the pace the game is played and how everything are about fine margins. 

Always thought referees are having a shit job. If you're poor or unfortunate everyone thinks you're shite. If you do a good job nobody mentions you. 

Like our rating threads for instance. I wonder how many times a referee has gotten a good rating. Can't be a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have to say I dislike VAR, but being a referee in the PL atm. must be very difficult when you see the pace the game is played and how everything are about fine margins. 

Always thought referees are having a shit job. If you're poor or unfortunate everyone thinks you're shite. If you do a good job nobody mentions you. 

Like our rating threads for instance. I wonder how many times a referee has gotten a good rating. Can't be a lot. 

that's my big issue with it

the athletes play quicker than the ref can cope with so we need technology, no one is looking at martin Atkinson being 48 and having no where near the support team that the athletes get, of course he's going to be behind them in terms of pace

anyone who's over the age of 30 and played vs guys in their early 20s will know what I mean, and its not necessarily purely a fitness thing, its an acceleration, speed, sharpness and anticipation thing too

I think the youngest PL ref is Michael Oliver, 35 in feb

its another one of those where you hear the stories of the tiny % of teenage footballers "making it" how many of them are offered reffing as a viable alternative? (not sure if the demands there to be fair) who scouts refs? how many of them aren't being spotted as a talent until they've done it for 10-15 years meaning they're always going to be older 

Â