The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought the purpose of VAR was for only to see if a goal went in? I think having it for decisions like the spurs game is ridiculous. 

They have goal line technology for that. VAR is the video review of any major incident the referee/linesman may had missed/got wrong.

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They have goal line technology for that. VAR is the video review of any major incident the referee/linesman may had missed/got wrong.

Just keep the goaline technology and get rid of VAR. If someone cheats review it end of the game with a panel and give them a 6 game ban if found guilty.

Blatant dives should result in 6 game ban and a months wage fine. That would stop all the diving that goes on. Like that prick at leeds

• Thanks 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Just keep the goaline technology and get rid of VAR. If someone cheats review it end of the game with a panel and give them a 6 game ban if found guilty.

Blatant dives should result in 6 game ban and a months wage fine. That would stop all the diving that goes on. Like that prick at leeds

We should have VAR - but used properly because as at the minute it still looks a little shambolic.

Blatant dives should have an instant red card which will mean that players' club will suffer more in effect. 

How that club then deals with that is their choice but I think that could be enough in itself to begin with.

27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Kane bought that penalty didn't he?

He's brilliant at doing that.

Was a penalty this time but Kane diving doesn't seem to get mentioned in the media, same with Salah 

Just now, Zatman said:

Was a penalty this time but Kane diving doesn't seem to get mentioned in the media, same with Salah 

Possibly Zat, but he looked for it for sure imo.

Salt in the wound for Chelsea I guess considering he was marginally offside to begin with.

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree but I think the clowns in charge have accepted that diving is part of the game. How often do you hear people say 'he should have gone down there'? I don't think FIFA or UEFA see anything wrong with the diving culture in football. Or the lack of respect for that matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I agree but I think the clowns in charge have accepted that diving is part of the game. How often do you hear people say 'he should have gone down there'? I don't think FIFA or UEFA see anything wrong with the diving culture in football. Or the lack of respect for that matter.

Gold point about the he should if gone down. Encouraging cheating 

VAR is fine. It's the future and to be honest it's absurd that football have taken so long to catch up with other sports.

The implementation is still a bit ropey but it's definitely a good thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

VAR is fine. It's the future and to be honest it's absurd that football have taken so long to catch up with other sports.

The implementation is still a bit ropey but it's definitely a good thing.

Not that absurd really as only a very few select leagues can afford to implement the technology and football unlike Ice Hockey or American Throwing Football is a world wide sport.

FIFA or UEFA ain't going to fund it so that the Swedish, Greek or Egyptian league can have it.

Nor will they for all the games in the WC or EURO qualification, it would be absurd to have it when the big teams come visit and the TV cameras are their, but not when Georgia play Moldova.

And since football isn't a turn based game it works much worse than in some other sports.

I'd say they are implementing it too soon as they still have not found a good system. Try it in the EFL by all means, no one really cares about that.

I know it's hippie dippie but for me it kills something of the soul of football when the game is decided by a bureaucrat sitting in a chair somewhere outside the actual game.

Mistakes, however sad, are part of the game, player, managers, and officials all make them. If someone cheats then punish then afterwards.

Goal line technology is great, but is a simple yes or no. No ifs or buts. But even that it too expensive for many leagues and countries.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Not that absurd really as only a very few select leagues can afford to implement the technology and football unlike Ice Hockey or American Throwing Football is a world wide sport.

FIFA or UEFA ain't going to fund it so that the Swedish, Greek or Egyptian league can have it.

Nor will they for all the games in the WC or EURO qualification, it would be absurd to have it when the big teams come visit and the TV cameras are their, but not when Georgia play Moldova.

And since football isn't a turn based game it works much worse than in some other sports.

I'd say they are implementing it too soon as they still have not found a good system. Try it in the EFL by all means, no one really cares about that.

I know it's hippie dippie but for me it kills something of the soul of football when the game is decided by a bureaucrat sitting in a chair somewhere outside the actual game.

Mistakes, however sad, are part of the game, player, managers, and officials all make them. If someone cheats then punish then afterwards.

Goal line technology is great, but is a simple yes or no. No ifs or buts. But even that it too expensive for many leagues and countries.

"mistakes are part of the game" is the most absurd argument against VAR going, imo.

I understand the expense argument, but again that's not an argument against having it at all. You have it in the leagues where you can afford it.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"mistakes are part of the game" is the most absurd argument against VAR going, imo.

I understand the expense argument, but again that's not an argument against having it at all. You have it in the leagues where you can afford it.

OK, so when you said football in the previous post you where only really talking about English football.

Fair enough.

Just now, sne said:

OK, so when you said football in the previous post you where only really talking about English football.

Fair enough.

How have you reached that conclusion?

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How have you reached that conclusion?

Well since it's already running in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A at some capacity, which other league did you mean?

Not many other that can afford it I imagine.

Just now, sne said:

Well since it's already running in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A at some capacity, which other league did you mean?

Not many other that can afford it I imagine.

I don't know what you mean.

I meant you have VAR (or whatever version of it) in the leagues that can afford it. That includes the ones you've listed. You also have it in major tournaments like the world cup as we saw last year.

My point was a general one about football taking so long to introduce video technology into the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know what you mean.

I meant you have VAR (or whatever version of it) in the leagues that can afford it. That includes the ones you've listed. You also have it in major tournaments like the world cup as we saw last year.

My point was a general one about football taking so long to introduce video technology into the game.

Ah Ok.

I think it's down to it being imperfect, expensive, and mainly because FIFA/UEFA are huge slow organizations who doesn't like to do things unless they get paid to do it.

edit: when the NFL decided to go VAR it was a commissioner and a few crazy rich owners who said OK, much smoother decision process.

Football is heavier work, but it wont be long before football is the same with a few crazy rich clubs making the rules and perhaps before long creating their own league.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â