The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

VAR was finally used for the first time in a professional English game this week.

I think we've had general technology discussions on here before, but what are everyone's thoughts on it now that there seems to be a preferred method/technology being used?

I think this article on the BBC is a good outline of how it will work for anyone unsure.

How does VAR work?

Opponents of VAR suggest it will upset the flow of the game, but it will normally be used during stoppages in play and limited to four types of match-changing incidents: goals, penalties, straight red cards, mistaken identity.

When a VAR review is trigged, fans will see the referee 'draw' a rectangle with his arms to replicate a TV screen. It is important to note it can be either the referee or the VAR who decides whether an incident needs to be analysed.

It will then take one of two forms, with the first likely to be less controversial.

If a player has scored a goal from an offside position, for example, the VAR will inform the referee there is a factual error on a clear situation that does not require the referee to review the video. The referee will then make the 'TV screen' signal and change the original decision.

In situations that are less clear, the VAR will advise the referee to look at the video for what is called an 'on-field review'. This is where the referee will move to the side of the pitch to review the footage on a monitor.

Following their review, the referee will make a 'TV screen' signal and communicate the final decision.

Fans in the stadium won't be able to view replay pictures, but supporters watching at home will see the same camera angles as the referees, so they should at least be able to get an idea of which way the decision is going.

_99516188_getimage.png

Personally I'm all for it. I've said for a while that technology needs to be used more in football to catch it up with other major sports. Goal line technology was the first obvious step to make and this seems like a fairly sensible second step.

I recognise that there are drawbacks but I think the overall benefit will be huge. I'm unsure as to whether this is the right technology to be used, but it sounds like a fairly sensible way of doing it, especially by limiting it to "game changing incidents" which will make sure every single decision isn't being referred to the VAR. The proof will be in the pudding.

I'm sure there will be some confusion at first until the method is bedded in, just remember back to Jonathan Pearce's inability to comprehend the goalline technology at the world cup.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So if it is used for penalties am i right in saying if players dive deliberately they can now get punished properly as opposed to the current way after the game?  

I believe so.

At the very least if a pen is given, and the player dived, then the decision can be reversed and I would assume the player would be booked. I don't know if they would then still face repercussions afterwards.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Should have been put in place years ago.

Agree.

I've said before that I think Football (or the authorities running it) have a weird fear of upsetting things. They don't do big changes because it might rock the boat a bit for a couple of weeks.

Even small stuff like enforcing rules like the 6 second rule for the keeper to hold the ball.

Other sports just get on with it. This is the rule now. Don't break it. Football has this weird "oh but if that was a rule there would be yellow cards every game". No, there wouldn't. Maybe for one week. Then it would stop.

Sometimes I think they just need to get on with it. We're having technology now, this is the new system, deal with it.

Football is way behind.

Well the first step that should have been done is (proper) video reviews of diving/cheating and proper punishments for those offences. It amazing just how incompetent the people running football are. It will be interesting to see how VAR works but I think it won't be used half as much as people expect it will and there'll loads of pundits bleating 'why didn't they use VAR there'.  

Edited by villa89

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I believe so.

At the very least if a pen is given, and the player dived, then the decision can be reversed and I would assume the player would be booked. I don't know if they would then still face repercussions afterwards.

Be interesting to see if this cuts diving and play acting. If it does how can anyone argue its not good for the game. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think it was crap in Confederations Cup and ruined the flow of games

Also goals dont really have same feeling when you are waiting around for it to be confirmed

Yeah it depends on how often a game it happens. If there was a lot of controversial decisions you could have 100mins games with injury time

But for me as long a sit cuts out the cheating i am happy 

21 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I think use it like cricket where you can question the ref but if wrong you lose a referral.  2 in each half is enough.

Think good idea but 1 per team is certainly enough 

Too many and they be used for time wasting at end of game

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Also goals dont really have same feeling when you are waiting around for it to be confirmed

I may be wrong but how many goals per season are borderline?

You don't have to stop the flow of play for most goals because they are clearly goals, the net has a seizure and everything.

I don't know I just don't see the flow of play being disrupted that much, but who knows maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I may be wrong but how many goals per season are borderline?

You don't have to stop the flow of play for most goals because they are clearly goals, the net has a seizure and everything.

I don't know I just don't see the flow of play being disrupted that much, but who knows maybe I'm wrong.

just going from the Confederations Cup was a game that a goal was scored on the counter and the VAR went all the way back to the other box to look for an incident. the team had to wait to celebrate

another one was Griezmann scored in a friendly and couldnt celebrate as checking for an offside

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

just going from the Confederations Cup was a game that a goal was scored on the counter and the VAR went all the way back to the other box to look for an incident. the team had to wait to celebrate

another one was Griezmann scored in a friendly and couldnt celebrate as checking for an offside

that’s the application rather than the theory though. The system could work fine but what they’ve trialled so far has been plain wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

that’s the application rather than the theory though. The system could work fine but what they’ve trialled so far has been plain wrong.

This. These are the kind of issues that will disappear over time. 

I see t working that a goal is scored, the VAR is constantly reviewing stuff so the goal stands and the celebrations go on until either the VAR or the ref say it’s being reviewed. 

It’s not like tries or touchdowns aren’t celebrated. They are. It’s just that sometimes they are in vain. 

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

I think use it like cricket where you can question the ref but if wrong you lose a referral.  2 in each half is enough.

You can guarantee that teams will use them tactically to break the flow of the game if under pressure, like an injury time sub.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

You can guarantee that teams will use them tactically to break the flow of the game if under pressure, like an injury time sub.

It’s a moot point really. It won’t be working like that. 

• Like 1

Â