The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the outcome was probably fair, in the end, and the Brighton player who took the shot should have a look at himself tbh. Legal or not it'd have been a dick move, and so I'm glad they managed to throw the points away, it's just what they deserved.

No excuse for the shambolic refereeing though.

It’s not really a dick move. He asked the ref if he could take the free kick, then ref said yes and blew his whistle. Quick free kicks have been a thing for ages now - if you’re not ready to defend them, that’s your fault. It’s why people stand on the ball and ask the ref to allow them to set up before he blows his whistle etc.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, a-k said:

How was Brighton's second pen not overturned by VAR? Defender clearly got the ball

That match was an absolute shambles for football. First time in ages a ref/decisions got me angry as a neutral.

First pen for Brighton technically hand ball but he’s not even looking at the ball. Do we really want that penalised? How does that improve football? 

Then the free kick. He blew the f**king whistle!

Second pen a blatent dive, not overturned by VAR.

Absolutely awful indication of the state of football. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think it was Traore goal vs Newcastle we scored with a quick free kick. Is many things wrong with football but quick free kicks isnt one. The team that makes the foul get punished

I remember Henry scoring one past us where nobody was ready or expecting it. Goal stood.

The problem here is that a quick free kick isn't meant to have the whistle. You just take it. 

I imagine he's held his whistle up to signify to both teams to wait for that. From then he should wait until everyone is set. But he doesn't, and traps Johnstone with him against the post.

It is all correct in the end by my god Lee Mason has made himself look like a weapons grade helmet in that match.

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

For what it’s worth I’m glad that that quick free kick goal doesn’t stand. I hate those goals and it feels like a really cheat way to score a goal.

Obviously the officiating around it was abysmal but the people calling for that to be given as a goal should really look at the issues it creates if refs allow a team to score a free kick while the keeper is in the act of setting his  wall.

You can only take a free kick when the referees blows the whistle, if the ref doesn’t blow the whistle it doesn’t happen. 

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

You can only take a free kick when the referees blows the whistle, if the ref doesn’t blow the whistle it doesn’t happen. 

The referee asks the taker if they want a whistle or to take it quickly

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The referee asks the taker if they want a whistle or to take it quickly

Surely none of this is in the rules. You're just allowed to take the free kick quickly. If the opposing team aren't ready then that's just tough luck.

I am very confused by the whole incident it must be said. If the ref whistled to sort out some infraction in the wall then it could only be that a Brighton player was in the wrong otherwise he's taken the advantage away from the free kick taker? Is that what happened?

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jon Moss, Mason , Kevin Friend its a shocking standard 

Yet people wont get the hint when none of the Premier League refs will get picked for the World Cup or Euros

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Don't forget Mike Dean.

Managers should set up christmas fine savings club, all chip in (except ManU obviously) every week and then just let rip at the refs and var in every interview and just pay the fines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â