The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

59 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

We have been dreadful all season but.. have we had any VAR decision go for us? I think against Liverpool is one I can slightly recall (even though I can’t remember the incident) other than that we have well and truly shafted by it. 

Don't know if it was reviewed, but Everton should've definitely had a penalty at 0-0 for our first win of the season.

As others have said, we didn't deserve anything out of last night's game. But it's a kick in the teeth to have a blatant mistake upheld by VAR.

It's so inconsistent.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently there is talk of not using VAR for the final 9 rounds this season if the season is indeed restarted.

They supposedly want to keep the number of refs down (I'm guessing because they will 100% not have enough refs since they will get sick)

What a farce that would be :D Can't just change fundamental rules mid season ffs.

18 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think removing VAR would be the end for me. When a sport is more interesting than protecting referees than getting things right, it's dead.

At least it'll still be used an INT level.

Eh? 

I think most people would be overjoyed if it was scrapped and never seen again.

On 04/11/2019 at 15:31, Zatman said:

I am surprised it has been mentioned as much but it wouldnt be a shock if the Premier League are manipulating results

I thought about this and I think you are correct. 

As VAR as I can tell from this season it's run by Jimmy Tarbuck's ghost.

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Eh? 

Then I think most people are missing the point.

Video replay isn't a sentient being. It's just simply an ability to rewatch an incident in order to have a better opinion. The fact that things are still incorrect isn't a fault of video replay, it's a shortcoming of the officials using it. And people want to scrap it and have those same inept officials making decisions with less assistance? 

People getting up in arms about VAR getting offside decisions correct is nothing but madness. Blame the rule, not the tool.

53 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Eh? 

i think you cant stop it now

9/10 games played in the space of say 30 days, behind in neutral stadiums closed doors, with no training or "preseason", with injured players returning and new injuries, with loans ended and contracts expiring and potentially now no VAR? but its the same competition as what they walked away from 3 weeks ago? its blatantly not

easiest example to use is us vs west ham last game of the season, winner stays up, played behind closed doors in the midlands, villa win thanks to a goal that the TV studios show would have been given offside with VAR - west ham are taking that to court

its also a bullshit reason

But they are not getting offsides "right" apart from a few obvious ones that the assistants doesn't flag for due to new instructions, they are just using arbitrary lines from poor angles to guess.

It's not accurate or correct, it's just the illusion of being so.

26 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Then I think most people are missing the point.

Video replay isn't a sentient being. It's just simply an ability to rewatch an incident in order to have a better opinion. The fact that things are still incorrect isn't a fault of video replay, it's a shortcoming of the officials using it. And people want to scrap it and have those same inept officials making decisions with less assistance? 

People getting up in arms about VAR getting offside decisions correct is nothing but madness. Blame the rule, not the tool.

That's only a half truth Kurt, and now probably isn't really the time to be going over old ground given how trivial it now seems however, I agree that the officials have not made good use of the options available to them, so yes, you're correct in saying this but where I disagree entirely is that that's the only problem.

As I said from day one on this football is too fast and too complex for a video refereeing platform to work, it can work occasionally and has at times been a benefit in overruling incorrect decisions but there are just too many variables in football for it to work, you're slowing down play to a fraction of the actual speed to look (on occasion) for a slight bit of contact but it's a contact sport and who's to say whether the contact was enough to warrant a foul, much of football is down to the referee's discretion, there are guidelines for them to work with but they do not cover every situation or every eventuality that may play out.

I think it's entirely against what football is, it's totally opposite to the fabric of the sport, I mean seriously, who cares if someone is offside by 2mm, what difference does that make? 

This isn't meant as a dig but I just fail to see what joy people take out of VAR, it feels like the most joyless/soul-less introduction to football ever.

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think you cant stop it now

9/10 games played in the space of say 30 days, behind in neutral stadiums closed doors, with no training or "preseason", with injured players returning and new injuries, with loans ended and contracts expiring and potentially now no VAR? but its the same competition as what they walked away from 3 weeks ago? its blatantly not

easiest example to use is us vs west ham last game of the season, winner stays up, played behind closed doors in the midlands, villa win thanks to a goal that the TV studios show would have been given offside with VAR - west ham are taking that to court

its also a bullshit reason

It won't be scrapped anyway, I know that, it's hard to bring something into football but even harder to take it out again so this is here for the long haul.

I just think it's literally the worst thing ever to be introduced to football, it never resonated with me at a conceptual level let alone the shambolic attempts at shoe-horning it in in practice.

But then perhaps I'm out of touch and the new generations of football fans want lines drawn on a pitch to show someone was 0.8mm offside, or that there was the faintest of contact justifying some overpaid a-hole throwing themselves to the ground as if they'd been shot.

45 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That's only a half truth Kurt, and now probably isn't really the time to be going over old ground given how trivial it now seems however, I agree that the officials have not made good use of the options available to them, so yes, you're correct in saying this but where I disagree entirely is that that's the only problem.

As I said from day one on this football is too fast and too complex for a video refereeing platform to work, it can work occasionally and has at times been a benefit in overruling incorrect decisions but there are just too many variables in football for it to work, you're slowing down play to a fraction of the actual speed to look (on occasion) for a slight bit of contact but it's a contact sport and who's to say whether the contact was enough to warrant a foul, much of football is down to the referee's discretion, there are guidelines for them to work with but they do not cover every situation or every eventuality that may play out.

I think it's entirely against what football is, it's totally opposite to the fabric of the sport, I mean seriously, who cares if someone is offside by 2mm, what difference does that make? 

This isn't meant as a dig but I just fail to see what joy people take out of VAR, it feels like the most joyless/soul-less introduction to football ever.

I personally like games being officiated properly, and VAR isn't really used that much.

I agree with you in terms of offside, the offside rule isn't there to stop people being a few millimeters offside, but this is why I said some rules need tweaking. 

I don't really have an issue with most of VAR, and the issues I do have often come from referees. They shouldn't be looking at it for 5 minutes to make a decision, to me that suggests it's not "clear and obvious". It should be used to overturn blatantly obvious decisions.

It works in other sports, most of which are contact sports. Football isn't different, it's not special. Of course things will be subjective because everyone interprets a rule differently, but any improvements to what are, quite frankly, absurdly awful officials, is a must IMO.

• 2 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 11:14, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I thought about this and I think you are correct. 

As VAR as I can tell from this season it's run by Jimmy Tarbuck's ghost.

He's 80, but he ain't dead.

• 2 weeks later...

The crapness of VAR will never cease to amaze. How they have looked at that Ayew elbow and not given a red? But also, how has the ref not given it himself given his position, or why has he not checked the monitor himself? Staggering ineptitude all round.

Â