The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

i still don't get why people feel that they cannot celebrate...no one has yet to explain to me why. is there some consequence to celebrating a goal that then gets chalked off that i'm not aware of? or is it literally that you look a little bit silly and the opposition fans all go "wahayyy" at you?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i still don't get why people feel that they cannot celebrate...no one has yet to explain to me why. is there some consequence to celebrating a goal that then gets chalked off that i'm not aware of? or is it literally that you look a little bit silly and the opposition fans all go "wahayyy" at you?

VAR is like when people spray a dog in the face with water to stop it barking.

The celebration is a spontaneous thing, but after a while when you've been sprayed in the face by VAR enough times you just hesitate or stop. The impulse is changed.

And yes I think the fact you look a bit silly celebrating a goal that's scratched off also comes into it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

VAR is like when people spray a dog in the face with water to stop it barking.

The celebration is a spontaneous thing, but after a while when you've been sprayed in the face by VAR enough times you just hesitate or stop. The impulse is changed.

And yes I think the fact you look a bit silly celebrating a goal that's scratched off also comes into it.

i guess then i need to be 'sprayed' a few more times...cause right now i still go nuts when we score, whether theres a chance of it being chalked off or not

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Its like you're suggesting it isn't happening. I've seen several good goals in the last 2 weeks not celebrated by the player, the other players or the fans because it might get chalked off. Kills that moment, which is the absolute pinnacle of the game. Everything, the running, the training, the practicing, the drills, the tactics lead to that point of putting the ball in the goal. The release of all that work is partially robbed. Its like having sex and stopping before the "finish" before then possibly finishing yourself off in the bathroom.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its like you're suggesting it isn't happening. I've seen several good goals in the last 2 weeks not celebrated by the player, the other players or the fans because it might get chalked off. Kills that moment, which is the absolute pinnacle of the game. Everything, the running, the training, the practicing, the drills, the tactics lead to that point of putting the ball in the goal. The release of all that work is partially robbed. Its like having sex and stopping before the "finish" before then possibly finishing yourself off in the bathroom.

oh i know it's happening...my point is that i dont know why. it's like people are choosing not to in some sort of defiance, like "we're going to prove that it's killing the game so we're not going to celebrate"

for me  the defiance is TO celebrate...i will not let this ridiculous implementation of a good idea stop me going mad when we score. that targett goal vs brighton for example...that's why you go to games...for those moments. i wont let VAR take those away from me and nor should anyone else.

mings scored the equaliser at old trafford ffs...why did he not celebrate? as you rightly say, the training etc, it surely all makes it worth it to stick the ball past one of the best keepers in the world. he should have enjoyed the moment.

the absolute worst case scenario is that he looked a bit silly for celebrating a goal that gets ruled out for offside. i know i'm in the minority, but i just dont get it

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

oh i know it's happening...my point is that i dont know why. it's like people are choosing not to in some sort of defiance, like "we're going to prove that it's killing the game so we're not going to celebrate"

I think its just human nature not to celebrate something that might not be a goal for fear of being wrong / looking silly.

it's a shame that's the case. i wasn't there yesterday but watching the villa on tour video showed no one celebrating until the kick off. it's just so bizarre. maybe i'm the idiot for choosing to celebrate...maybe i'll look like a right clearing in the woods if goals get disallowed after celebrating. i dont care though...that's just my feelings on the matter

I genuinely didn't think we'd get to a point where players just don't celebrate goals. It's odd that it seems to be Villa players doing it more than other teams. But still.... I couldn't have been more wrong about VAR. 

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I genuinely didn't think we'd get to a point where players just don't celebrate goals. It's odd that it seems to be Villa players doing it more than other teams. But still.... I couldn't have been more wrong about VAR. 

but in every other sport where technology exists players still celebrate. cricketers celebrate taking wickets knowing the batsman can review. tennis players celebrate winning points knowing the opponent has 3 reviews. NFL players celebrate touchdowns. rugby players celebrate trys. why is football different?

its really like people are just saying "we dont want the technology so we're going to pretend that it's ruining the game" when it actually isn't, it just needs improving

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but in every other sport where technology exists players still celebrate. cricketers celebrate taking wickets knowing the batsman can review. tennis players celebrate winning points knowing the opponent has 3 reviews. NFL players celebrate touchdowns. rugby players celebrate trys. why is football different?

its really like people are just saying "we dont want the technology so we're going to pretend that it's ruining the game" when it actually isn't, it just needs improving

Yeah, I don't get the no celebration argument.

If it's offside, handball, illegal goal, why would you celebrate in the first place? I bet you most players know if the goal is good anyway.

ElGhazi was clearly on side the other week. Why do fans question if they should celebrate just because he didn't run 50 yards with his shirt off?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Try watching the Swedish Ice Hockey league the SHL.

So many goals scratched off for minute or non existing things by VAR that everyone is fed up with it and the  players and fans reactions at goals are starting to change. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

So many goals scratched off for minute or non existing things by VAR that everyone is fed up with it and the  players and fans reactions at goals are starting to change. 

Would you rather celebrate a handball goal? 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Would you rather celebrate a handball?

@sne

It's a genuine question :) because that would be a consequence (and has been for years) of a system where goals have not been checked 

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yeah, I don't get the no celebration argument.

If it's offside, handball, illegal goal, why would you celebrate in the first place? I bet you most players know if the goal is good anyway.

ElGhazi was clearly on side the other week. Why do fans question if they should celebrate just because he didn't run 50 yards with his shirt off?

If the player doesn't celebrate usually they dont believe it was a goal either

Just now, Mic09 said:

Would you rather celebrate a handball?

@sne

It's a genuine question :) because that would be a consequence (and has been for years) of a system where goals have not been checked 

Nope still don't follow.

Would I rather celebrate a handball than what?

IF VAR meant that it got things right then sure, the offset might be worth it.

But as been showed countless times this season alone it doesn't. It's still ambiguous at best and far too often just plainly wrong.

Sure it will (sometimes) pick up the few things that refs get blatantly wrong, but other than that it's just random.

A best case scenario with VAR would be great, but what we have is the reality of VAR and it is a shambles.

• Like 1

Â