The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I’m eager to watch Motd to see them discuss theses decisions. Maybe the controversy is increasing viewing numbers? 

Some of the decisions just make no sense. It’s almost like if a ref has missed the chance to make a poor decisions than VAR is helping them out. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I certainly can't see how they could possibly have introduced VAR any worse than they have.  The only logical thing I can think of is that they are deliberately sabotaging it so it gets scrapped for next season.

It does feel like there is something sinister going on but it probably just boils down to shit refs with a replay to view. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

Its fit for purpose... but because its used at the refs discretion and the fact that the ref has the final say regardless of the VAR call... Its a farce...

Nah, can’t agree.

People can’t keep saying it’s fine in theory when it’s crap in practice.

Its a complete shambles.

It was always debatable whether it actually WAS ever that crucial to get everything “ right”.....but this doesn’t tackle everything, it’s clearly used arbitrarily, it’s unaccountable, it’s inconsistent, it’s hugely unpopular ( not sure I’ve ever heard a louder chant than against it today).

It has some huge problems.

Firstly, you don't have a discussion. It's a bloke in London (or wherever he is) overruling the ref (often more senior)

Secondly, it is easier to strike goals off than let them stand. I read something that VAR has only made 1 'positive' decision all season.

Villa v Brighton

Palace v City

2 massive VAR decisions not mentioned once on MOTD. Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but really? Not one mention. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Villa v Brighton

Palace v City

2 massive VAR decisions not mentioned once on MOTD. Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories but really? Not one mention. 

Honestly, I think it's because there are so many shit VAR decisions that they simply don't want shows hijacked by the discussion, which just goes to show ineffectually it has been implemented.

• Like 1

Was at the game again today, VAR is a disgrace quite frankly!

To prevent ruining the game completely they either need to sort out the muppets who are in charge of it & clearly have no clue what they're doing or get rid of it.

That is now incredibly the Eighth time this season we have fallen foul of it from what i've seen.

1. Spurs (a) we had a couple of incidents which went against us and were shown afterwards to have been incorrect.

2. Palace away disallowed goal which was proven to be incorrect on MOTD

3. Arsenal away.. where do you start?! The Hand ball incident (not given) & two of their players stood within 1m of our wall (one of them actually in the wall) at a free kick which should have been a disallowed goal for them but of course VAR don't intervene even though it's a clear & obvious error when a goal is scored. .

4. Norwich (a) Player stamped on our player.. not given.

5. Burnley (h) Goal disallowed for a ridiculous offside

6. Brighton (h) Goal incorrectly disallowed as at best the decision was objective yet they still disallow it.

So we have in my eyes lost at least 4 points in that little lot because of VAR being incorrectly used.

Oh & by the way ... unless you folks saw something i didn't, we have zero decisions in our favour! That is just downright suspicious if you ask me.

I wonder how many bad VAR decisions Liverpool have had for & against?

So to summise

VAR & Villa

For 0

Against 8

One can only say ....... That's Dodgy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Its fit for purpose... but because its used at the refs discretion and the fact that the ref has the final say regardless of the VAR call... Its a farce...

It should be the managers decision to request a VAR call (like in cricket or NFL)... a limited number of VAR calls per match and if a call is successful, you dont lose one (badly explained but I hope you know what i am getting at)... and the decision made by VAR should be final...

It's not. You cannot divorce VAR from it's implementation, they go hand in hand. It's current implementation is not fit for purpose therefore VAR is not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

1. Spurs (a) we had a couple of incidents which went against us and were shown afterwards to have been incorrect. The only one I thought was legit was the McGinn penalty

3. Arsenal away.. where do you start?! The Hand ball incident (not given) & two of their players stood within 1m of our wall (one of them actually in the wall) at a free kick which should have been a disallowed goal for them but of course VAR don't intervene even though it's a clear & obvious error when a goal is scored. . Their players encroached on the penalty too, should have been retaken

4. Norwich (a) Player stamped on our player.. not given. Can’t even remember that

5. Burnley (h) Goal disallowed for a ridiculous offside is that the one where it was played in from the left? Think it was hourihane, he was miles off

That doesn’t allow for yesterday Montoya being the 2nd player this season that’s had to be subbed off against us because whilst on a booking his foul count is taking the piss

we have shit refs

how can you have the ref in the spurs game overruling VAR but then in our game VAR overruling the ref? He saw Wes jump with the keeper and saw nothing wrong with it

• Like 1

Yesterday was my first experience of VAR at a game and it truly is shocking for the fans in the ground. Still have no idea why the goal was disallowed yesterday. Then on the following 2 goals we scored I felt like I couldn't fully celebrate till after they had kicked off. The whole thing is shit. 

• Like 4

Not being able to enjoy football is apparently an integral part of the modern game.

I'm just too old fashioned to get it.

Fans in the stands are just a nuisance at this point as far as top brass football is concerned.

• Like 2

Â