The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

We nearly saw it in the women's world cup, but I'm sure it won't be long before a penalty shout is denied by the ref, and then a goal is scored at the other end, and then VAR rewinds the game back to the penalty incident to award it, meaning the goal is struck off.

But this got me thinking - what if the same thing happened, but instead of a goal, say a player gets sent off for a violent challenge. Would you rewind to the penalty and pretend that the sending-off offence didn't happen? Are there rules around this sort of thing?

Edited by Lichfield Dean
Spling

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

But this got me thinking - what if the same thing happened, but instead of a goal, say a player gets sent off for a violent challenge. Would you rewind to the penalty and pretend that the sending-off offence didn't happen? Are there rules around this sort of thing?

Imagine telling a player who just had his leg snapped in half that that passage of play was void and didn't matter :D 

29 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

We nearly saw it in the women's world cup, but I'm sure it won't be long before a penalty shout is denied by the ref, and then a goal is scored at the other end, and then VAR rewinds the game back to the penalty incident to award it, meaning the goal is struck off.

happened last season in the Eredivisie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNmRTdMEAY

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe so but the offside rule is in place so as to not offer an advantage to an attacker, you have to question how much of an advantage you have being stood a handful of centimetres in front of the defender.

Footballs never really been black and white, it’s always had elements open to interpretation and perception, that’s still going to be the case even with VAR.

As I say the offside one is easy for me, it’s one of the few black and white issues there are. You are, or you aren’t. The only ambiguity is the accuracy of the measurement device. 

As for interpretation and perception, yes indeed, I’d say pretty much everything else about the game is just that.

The penalty Tammy missed yesterday, should have been retaken.

No VAR check this time.

Not often but I agree with the Chelsea fans that the selective use of VAR is infuriating and one of the big reasons I don't like it.

202018ab-63dc-4347-90bc-1453537c8592?fit=crop&h=574&q=50&w=960&s=6d3ee74d3cbc329de92dea8c27fa73313d3e3088

Edited by sne

Will be interesting to visit this thread at the end of the season and do a count of how many goals haven't been celebrated due to players waiting for VAR, as predicted by multiple people in this thread.

I suspect it will be 0. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Will be interesting to visit this thread at the end of the season and do a count of how many goals haven't been celebrated due to players waiting for VAR, as predicted by multiple people in this thread.

I suspect it will be 0. 

Also think that will be 0

The number of goals celebrated and then given or not given after VAR checks where one still is unsure about the outcome after watching the video and stills will be quite a few thou.

Just now, sne said:

The number of goals celebrated and then given or not given after VAR checks where one still is unsure about the outcome after watching the video and stills will be quite a few thou.

Can't disagree with that. There will always be some controversial moments.  It's never going to be 100% and at the end of the day there's still humans watching videos, some decisions will still come down to interpretation. More correct decisions will be made throughout the season with VAR assistance though than without. Even if it's only 50% better, that's still a huge improvement.

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

Can't disagree with that. There will always be some controversial moments.  It's never going to be 100% and at the end of the day there's still humans watching videos, some decisions will still come down to interpretation. More correct decisions will be made throughout the season with VAR assistance though than without. Even if it's only 50% better, that's still a huge improvement.

Remember reading this SKY piece about it.

According to the PGMO (Professional Game Match Officials) Premier League referee makes around 245 decisions per game, three times more than an average player touches the ball over 90 minutes. That's one decision every 22 seconds.

Approximately 45 of these decisions are technical - whether goal-kicks, corners or throw-ins - leaving around 200 decisions to judging physical contact and disciplinary actions.

Of those 200, around 35 are visible decisions where an action is taken (fouls, restarts), and 165 are non-visible, where play is allowed to continue.

In total, refs make around five errors per game, meaning they are right 98 per cent of the time.

The number of decisions referees have to make has increased by around three per cent in each of the last two seasons, and that is only likely to go up in the coming years as discussion around rule changes intensifies.

Speaking on Sky Sports News HQ, Mike Riley summed it up perfectly.
"By definition, you make a decision and one team is happy, the other team isn't, and so are their supporters," he said.

"All that you ask for is an understanding of the complexity of the job. You see week in, week out that referees make brilliant decisions."

Running the line…

Many supporters would struggle to give the name of a single linesman in the Premier League, but the outcome of a game can hinge on their decisions.

The assistant referee makes on average 50 decisions each game; 45 of these are pure offside judgements, with four of these resulting in offside flags. Their accuracy? Again, a staggering 98 per cent.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10808860/referee-myth-busting-how-many-decisions-do-officials-get-right

Obviously this doesn't tell the whole truth. VAR will certainly get some big calls that the refs missed out on over the course of the season.

For me thou it's not enough to warrant the negatives I think it brings.

I know others think different and that's fine.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sne said:

You're right, but as has been previously said, VAR was never meant to be a perfect solution.

It's meant to be a way for decisions to be reviewed by multiple people and the number of mistakes cut down.

To be honest, if a decision has been made and after multiple checks from multiple camera angles from multiple people there still isn't a consensus on whether the decision was right or wrong, I think you can give the benefit of the doubt to the ref.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're right, but as has been previously said, VAR was never meant to be a perfect solution.

It's meant to be a way for decisions to be reviewed by multiple people and the number of mistakes cut down.

To be honest, if a decision has been made and after multiple checks from multiple camera angles from multiple people there still isn't a consensus on whether the decision was right or wrong, I think you can give the benefit of the doubt to the ref.

Absolutely, but as I said in the post above I don't think there is enough of those situations (especially since many still remain ambiguous even after VAR) to warrant the negatives.

Was watching the Copa Sud semifinal last night night and VAR overturned an obvious straight red card. Ridiculous. VAR opens up a whole new world of possibilities for the corrupt. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2019 at 14:20, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. This idea that it's not perfect, so what's the point, doesn't make sense. Refs aren't perfect either, shall we just scrap them and turn it in to prison rules?

VAR will only influence a few decisions, but those are big decisions, so I'm all for it.

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Exactly. This idea that it's not perfect, so what's the point, doesn't make sense. Refs aren't perfect either, shall we just scrap them and turn it in to prison rules?

VAR will only influence a few decisions, but those are big decisions, so I'm all for it.

I think that’s quite an extreme interpretation. It doesn’t have to be perfect it just has to result in even fewer mistakes. Mistakes will still be made unless you take the women’s World Cup approach of reviewing absolutely everything (and indeed that still resulted in mistakes).

It’ll never be perfect but I think the PL’s use is as good as it gets and I like how they’ve approached it. 

I’ll be honest, i’m kind of against the ice cold nature of VAR. The human factor gives us stories and discussion points. Let’s face it, without perceived injustices, most of the league will have to come to terms with the fact that they are rubbish, not unlucky. 

That said diving has been the thing that has sucked the most joy out of the game for me for the last few years, and if it can help get rid of diving scumbags, then I’m all for it.

Will be interesting to see how it affects the league table, too. Liverpool might be mid table without the diving 😄

Edited by HKP90

Â