The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I have no problems with it. He's jumped to block the ball. His arm was well away from his torso and it's hit him cleanly in the forearm, nowhere near his body or leg.

It's unlucky but you have to keep your arm tucked in there. You can't turn your back and flail your arm about and then claim you didn't know.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I have no problems with it. He's jumped to block the ball. His arm was well away from his torso and it's hit him cleanly in the forearm, nowhere near his body or leg.

It's unlucky but you have to keep your arm tucked in there. You can't turn your back and flail your arm about and then claim you didn't know.

its really not though is it?

D1A5UWSVsAAF0Da.jpg:large

running, jumping, turning and keeping your arms tucked in to your sides...its not happening is it? his arm being where it was is completely natural for the movement he was making

if thats a penalty then not only does the rule need changing but you are getting one of those every 2 or 3 games

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Keep your arm tucked in. 

When you're jumping. 

I'd love to see a demonstration of this. 

VAR remains a joke and the future scourge of the game, its going to ruin the enjoyment of football if it carries on as is. 

Use it for offside calls, was it in or out of the box, over the line or not - definitive things. 

Should not be used for penalties, was it a foul or was it handball, these are opinions and are rarely definitive (when they are definitive, I'm fairly confident that, 90%+ of the time the correct decision is reached without the need for VAR) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Keep your arm tucked in. 

When you're jumping. 

VAR remains a joke and the future scourge of the game, its going to ruin the enjoyment of football if it carries on as is. 

Use it for offside calls, was it in or out of the box, over the line or not - definitive things. 

Should not be used for penalties, was it a foul or was it handball, these are opinions and are rarely definitive (when they are definitive, I'm fairly confident that, 90%+ of the time the correct decision is reached without the need for VAR) 

I agree its unnatural to keep your arm tucked in when you jump but why did he turn his back on the ball. It was cowardly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I initially thought VAR would be good but this incident reminded me of the NFL's video replay shenanigans and that isn't a good thing.

Why do the NFL use var? 

Edited by Jimzk5

14 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Why do the NFL use var? 

something similar. coaches can challenge calls and close plays get automatically reviewed inside the final 2 minutes.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Keep your arm tucked in. 

When you're jumping. 

Maybe you shouldnt block the ball with your back turned. Would Cannavaro, Puyol, Maldini etc be afraid of the ball to defend that way

• Like 1

Yes...he's jumped in the air, again natural to turn, if he stayed on his feet then yep block that with your chest rather than turning but no one jumps to their left facing the front trying to block a ball

Again the answer to what he could / should have done is an unnatural movement whereas what he did was completely natural

If he'd been facing the ball he might have seen the shot coming and been able to move his arm out of the way.

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its really not though is it?

D1A5UWSVsAAF0Da.jpg:large

running, jumping, turning and keeping your arms tucked in to your sides...its not happening is it? his arm being where it was is completely natural for the movement he was making

if thats a penalty then not only does the rule need changing but you are getting one of those every 2 or 3 games

Turning is an important term there, why did he turn? He was making a movement where he sacrificed control over his arms to make a blocking attempt and in doing so stopped the ball with his elbow.

In the context of what is and isn't usually paid as a handball, it's miles away. With his back turned, in the box, blocking an attempt on goal.

He loses all argument regarding his intent when he turns his back and has his arm away from his body. His intent was to block the ball, and it's his responsibility to do that without using only his arm.

Look at his other hand up in the air, would it have been a handball if it had hit that one?

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yes...he's jumped in the air, again natural to turn, if he stayed on his feet then yep block that with your chest rather than turning but no one jumps to their left facing the front trying to block a ball

Again the answer to what he could / should have done is an unnatural movement whereas what he did was completely natural

Completely natural in terms of the movement he's making, but in jumping as high and as far as he could to block the shot, he isn't able to control his arms and blocks the shot with his elbow.

They pay them like this all the time. Nobody deliberately handles the ball in the box. The onus is on the defender to not touch the ball with an arm that is away from his body.

A long jumper might have stopped the ball with his chest there, but a long jumper doesn't have to worry about where his arms are when blocking a shot in the box.

If you can't block the ball legally, you can't block the ball.

Edited by ThunderPower_14

UEFA HAVE CITED the distance of the ball from the player when it was struck as the main factor in awarding Manchester United an injury-time penalty against Paris Saint-Germain, after a VAR review adjudged Presnel Kimpembe to have handled inside the box.

Marcus Rashford stepped up to convert the controversially-awarded spot-kick to knock PSG out of the Champions League on Wednesday night.

In a retrospective explanation of a host of VAR decisions, Uefa said that due to the distance of the ball being struck and the fact that the player’s arm was not down by his body, “the impact could not be unexpected”.

The ruling reads: “The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident.

Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted.

“Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected.

The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick.

“All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.”

Initially, referee Damir Skomina pointed only for a corner after Diogo Dalot’s deflected effort, but the official was called back to review the incident several times before awarding the spot kick.

Manchester United’s victory over PSG made them the first team in the history of Champions League to qualify for the next round having lost the first leg of a knockout match at home by more than two goals.

PSG exited the competition at the round of 16 for the third year running.

https://www.the42.ie/var-manchester-united-psg-penalty-decision-clarified-4530099-Mar2019/

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Juventus player look liked he clipped himself for the penalty 

I thought so myself, but seems like he was pushed in the back. Still I would've thought that VAR would've checked that.

Also don't know how Chiellini didn't foul the Madrid guy right at the end by clearly impending him. Thats a pen for me and not sure why VAR didn't even have a look at it....

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Quite interesting watch, this ref is going to join the Championship next season, though I dread some English refs getting this material. Looking at you Mike Dean ;) 

Can't see the video at work but assume this is the one of the Australian ref mic'd up during a game?

If so I've seen it and the interesting bit was the bit where he went over to the screen to "make a show" of VAR for the players. I see why he's done it but that's the kind of thing that needs to be got rid of.

People need to trust that the right decision is being made and just let them get on with it. If the ref's been told a decision is one way or the other he has to just make the call and people accept it. That's where the time is getting wasted

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can't see the video at work but assume this is the one of the Australian ref mic'd up during a game?

If so I've seen it and the interesting bit was the bit where he went over to the screen to "make a show" of VAR for the players. I see why he's done it but that's the kind of thing that needs to be got rid of.

People need to trust that the right decision is being made and just let them get on with it. If the ref's been told a decision is one way or the other he has to just make the call and people accept it. That's where the time is getting wasted

I agree - but you are assuming the "show" was for the players. There are 1000's in the stadium not knowing what is going on. I think the "show" was for them.

Â