Hosting

NurembergVillan

We're having a new website built for my company, and as part of that the design agency were going to arrange hosting for us.  The agency have now told us that they're shutting up shop at the end of this month, so whilst the site will be finished they're just going to pass us over directly to the hosting company they were using.

We've had an email today from that company, Codefuel (in Shrewsbury), saying that they'd be taking on the hosting and support for £45 per month.

So - is that a good deal?  If not, where should we go to be looking for a better one?  I know jack all about this sort of thing.

It's a fairly straight up and down website, in as much as there is no ecomm involved.  There will be a fair few hi-res images and a bit of video, as well as a blog section.  I presume this has an impact on hosting costs.

What are you asking for exactly? I can host it temporarily - but I'd have built it on SquareSapce in the first place.

Is it just HTML + media? Or PHP, or JSP? Database? If it's Flash then get your money back.

Actually, unless you've spent silly money, write it off and redo on SquareSpace. If you don't have anyone to maintain the site then who will update it as the underlying software is updated etc?

I'm asking if £45 is the going rate for hosting a site.  If you, or anyone else on the site, is an option then that'd be amazing.  I honestly don't really know what goes into it.

Our current page was built on something similar to Squarespace, but we used Sitebuilder.  Same sort of vibe.  I guess the new one is kinda similar to this - http://www.bdalondon.com/

Right now we don't pay for hosting each month as it's in with the package.  It looks like a website we built ourselves though - http://sparkinspiration.co.uk/

I've no idea what PHP or JSP are.  I'm guessing it's HTML + media.  There are some animated details but it's not a Flash site.

We've spent a good chunk of change so we won't be writing it off...

If there is a blog then there is almost certainly code and a database. Without knowing what platform you need it's hard to quote for hosting.

I guess £45/m is okay if it includes a dedicated virtual server, prompt OS and software updates, backup/recovery, 99.9% uptime, and any minor changes you need to the site. For comparison, the same would be about £10/m on Squarespace with all OS and software updates and 24 hour support.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Back to this topic!

We're still paying £45 to host this site, which is built on WordPress - Spark

Is that the going rate, or should I be looking elsewhere.  If so, where?

Ta muchly!

Stop using Wordpress.

You are being ripped off. Move to Squarespace.

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

We had this thing built for us though. I presume we can't just port it across and it'd need a whole website redesign?

Sorry, but I've no experience with their porting tools. It also depends how much lock-in was done to keep you coming back to the WordPress reveller :(  You could spin up an instance and try porting it and see what you get? They have a trial period if you want a play.

£45 seems a lot per month for hosting a small business website. What is the SLA they offer for applying patches? If your site is down and "the person that does it" is on holiday? Are they monitoring it for malware? It's fairly well accepted that 80% of all spam originates from WordPress sites - mainly because they aren't adequately managed.

How much would wordpress.com charge to host your site?.

• 2 weeks later...

Impossible to say for certain but I'd suggest you are vastly over paying unless you have huge traffic.

Using Bluehost, highly rated, you'd be looking at £5-£12 a month and Wordpress is incredibly easy to port over, most hosting companies will even offer a service to do it for you.

Â