Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Peterborough

limpid

Match Polls  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/01/18 at 17:30

Would like to have won, however we ain’t going to win the cup so not massively fussed. Didn’t want a replay or any injuries. 

My biggest concern is how much damage it’s had to any momentum we’d started to gain.

I admit I’d be more pissed off if I had chosen to attend today. 

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Most clubs outside the Top 6™ and with stadiums that hold more than 20,000 just don't give a shit about this competition any more.  It's a hindrance.  A relic.  There's no real cash for winning it, or entry into a European competition.  It gets in the way.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to win it.  But I'm just a fan.  In terms of the business of modern football it's a waste of time.

I can't imagine the confidence of the team will have been affected today.  Most of the guys who lost today won't play in the next match.

Last time we had a good cup run we had an amazing day out in the semi final and then got absolutely trounced on national TV in the final.

Again, personally I'd have liked to have seen these players stake a claim for the first team and us to get a comfortable win.  But it has shown that maybe our second choice players aren't very good, and therefore not being in the cup will give the ones who ARE good enough the chance to have a rest every few weeks.

All in, I don't care.  And I don't expect many inside the club will either.

Then they should just scrap the competition then altogether?

• Like 1

Meh. Probably a good thing as their will be no distractions from the only important task this season which is promotion. As said already it might also have the benefit of stopping people clamouring for the young players to be given game time. There's no such thing as a shock in the fa cup anymore, just sometimes a higher level club's reserves lose. That's what happened to us today. Meh. 

Edited by villa89

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Then they should just scrap the competition then altogether?

It is what it is and it's not going to change. For any premier league team outside the top six or any club fighting for promotion/relegation in the championship the fa cup is just an annoyance and something to get out of the way. 

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah they were so important too. Forget the 46 games we have to play in a league we're desperately trying to get promoted from, let's concentrate on the cups instead. 

Let's concentrate on being a decent well managed football team from top to bottom, don't ignore shitter teams than us not only beating us but outplaying us at home in front of a half empty stadium, a manager that makes a lot of changes including the formation again, poor use of subs and not recognising the game is getting away from us

im not saying we need a cup run but at the same time we're ok in the league, not much better, rolling over and having our bellies tickled in any game does nothing good at all

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

It is what it is and it's not going to change. For any premier league team outside the top six or any club fighting for promotion/relegation in the championship the fa cup is just an annoyance and something to get out of the way. 

So again, scrap it and just use the league cup instead for teams outside the premier league then..

Bit like a johnstones paint trophy mkII

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Given they let Man Utd not enter it one year, then yeah.  They signalled their own death knell.

Regardless of that mistake the FA cup would still be in the exact same situation now. Man United not entering wasn't the beginning of the end. The end was already well underway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strangeways said:

People who say it doesn't matter bemuse me, I'm hurt angry and embarrassed again.. Can't wait for the abuse I'm gonna get at work on Monday. Brings back memories of Bradford.......

Wind up merchant's perhaps?

Â