Gaming 2018

hogso

12 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance could be amazing or could be total pants. I'm hoping for a deep RPG with decent combat (no press x to win) which it seems to be promising. They could have bitten off more than they can chew though.

Expect a disaster and you'll likely wind up pleasantly surprised, assuming you can get past its impenetrable need for realism that is. 

Anyone playing / played Escape from Tarkov? Seems to be an interesting twist on the battle royale FPS genre. At least, that's the best short description I can give from what I've seen, as it isn't really a battle royale at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogso said:

Anyone playing / played Escape from Tarkov? Seems to be an interesting twist on the battle royale FPS genre. At least, that's the best short description I can give from what I've seen, as it isn't really a battle royale at all.

I am just getting into Escape From Tarkov now and it's one of the most hardcore shooters I have ever played in my life.

For those that don't know Escape From Tarkov is an online hardcore survival FPS with RPG mechanics and brutal risk reward system.

In a nutshell this game is all about raiding areas on the map for supplies, weapons, armour and anything else you can find, while trying to avoid or kill the AI/Player Scavengers and Player PMC's that litter the map.

It's a simple concept and very very addictive, but as I said above it has a brutal risk reward system and it is as follows;

What you take in with you on a raid, you will lose if you die. This one mechanic is what makes Escape From Tarkov so special as not only does it add a feeling of tension to everything, but it gives the player choice. Do you go in armed with nothing but a knife and procure weapons on site? It's the lowest risk option, but the raid is vastly harder as a result. Then on the other hand do you take in your best weapon, armour, backpack and tactical rig? It's the highest risk option with regards to how much you could lose, but kitted out like that you'll be potentially harder to kill making the raid easier. Though those are the two extreme choices there are so many more choices at a granular level in between both of those and it's all down to what you feel comfortable with.

Now I need to state that the "hardcore" in hardcore FPS is no joke in this game. This game is a military sim at its core. You can break down weapons to their composite parts and upgrade the internal as well as the external more "cosmetic" parts. Most games have a crouch button this game has 7 types of crouch. Most games have one speed of walking, this game has 13 walking speeds. Most games have one type of lean, this game has 3 different types of lean without factoring in first person blind fire, yes you can hold the gun above your head or away from your body to blind fire around or above cover. You can remove the magazine to check the ammo. You can look into the chamber to make sure a round is chambered. There are 2 different types of reload, one that takes the time to put the empty mag into your tactical rig so you don't lose the mag, while the other reloads faster, but you dump the mag on the floor. These are just the movement and gameplay realism choices, there are dozens more for health, healing, hunger, hydration and every other system in place, for example if you get shot and you're bleeding you can bandage to stop the bleeding, but if you start sprinting too soon after bandaging you open the wound up again.

This game is brutal, but it's also incredibly tense, exhilarating and rewarding. This is a very realistic FPS, but under all of that is a game with deep RPG levelling systems, merchants, quest givers and a feeling of progression that I haven't experienced for a while. You will start Tarkov and you'll get destroyed over and over again, but the longer you play, the better you get and the more your character levels up the more fun the game seems to get. This game has a steep and brutal learning curve that appears to last for tens of hours, but eventually it all clicks and I think I'll be playing Tarkov for as long as they keep adding content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:15, hogso said:

20 March – Sea Of Thieves (XO/PC) Rare’s return to ‘proper’ games is an innovative pirate-themed co-operative game, that’s not quite like anything else out there. And after multiple delays it should be one of the biggest games of the spring

My son has written this date in our calendar in the kitchen , set an Alexa reminder and added it onto my outlook work calendar for good measure  ..safe to say he's looking forward to this game 

hope it doesn't suck  ..

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Xann said:

RE graphics engine demo - 'Devil May Cry'

I've cut this down. The original is big - Amazing detail on the skin.

Wonder how it moves?

Like this :)

Off topic though - 2019 release.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews. Apparently It expands the RPG elements introduced in Origins and features an incredibly well executed game world.

I'll be all over this from tomorrow as Origins was my surprise sleeper hit from last year and definitely my GOTY.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â