Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

I think Peterborough are going to take this game seriously. They are in good form and pushing for promotion out of division 3 (or whatever its called these days).

Some of their fans (like my mates who are Peterborough season ticket holders) who are going by train £58 return each (!) and treating it as a day out in Brum...

Villa need to be careful Peterborough don't add our scalp to the huge collection of embarrassing losses over the last few years...

Ticket sales seem very low, although Peterborough are bringing loads of supporters

Regards to all

Del

As there's a full week's break between this and the next league game I see no reason to rest people as if it was a midweek tie.  I'd use it to continue building the form of those who've come in and done well.  Treat it like a league game unless there's a credible risk of injury to someone.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

As there's a full week's break between this and the next league game I see no reason to rest people as if it was a midweek tie.  I'd use it to continue building the form of those who've come in and done well.  Treat it like a league game unless there's a credible risk of injury to someone.

Id say there is a greater need to keep the squad as fit as we can. If we have learnt anything these last few weeks is that you never know who will have to be turned to. Thor, green, henri and rhm for a full 90 for me.

we do need to mix these with a fair few first teamers though, but tbf a lot of the 1st team are squad players anyway.

15 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I think Peterborough are going to take this game seriously. They are in good form and pushing for promotion out of division 3 (or whatever its called these days).

Some of their fans (like my mates who are Peterborough season ticket holders) who are going by train £58 return each (!) and treating it as a day out in Brum...

Villa need to be careful Peterborough don't add our scalp to the huge collection of embarrassing losses over the last few years...

Ticket sales seem very low, although Peterborough are bringing loads of supporters

Regards to all

Del

We will probably get about 20,000 with about 5,000 being the away lot. That will still be better than a lot of teams though.

Hoping for a weakened team. I would start Terry and Elphick rest Chester for this one. Play some of the kids but have HOGAN play. He needs time and goals to get his confidence up.

have a strongish bench just in cas ethings dont go to plan

I would go for

-------------------------------------steer----------------------

Bree-----------terry (sub after half hour)----------elphick------hutton

green----doyle hayes------whelan---------o hare---------------------

---------------------hogan---------------------RHM---------------------------------

subs

johnstone

suliman

davis

grealish

taylor

hourihane

lansbury (if fit)

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hoping for a weakened team. I would start Terry and Elphick rest Chester for this one. Play some of the kids but have HOGAN play. He needs time and goals to get his confidence up.

have a strongish bench just in cas ethings dont go to plan

I would go for

-------------------------------------steer----------------------

Bree-----------terry (sub after half hour)----------elphick------hutton

green----doyle hayes------whelan---------o hare---------------------

---------------------hogan---------------------RHM---------------------------------

subs

johnstone

suliman

davis

grealish

taylor

hourihane

lansbury (if fit)

I wouldn't play Terry, Hutton, Elphick, Whelan or Hogan

We need a positive result to keep the Bristol feel good factor going. But we can't flog Adomah, etc to death, or risk injury to Grealish, Chester etc. Has to be a strong bench, when in likelihood a lot of the starters are coming back from injury or not played 90 minutes against a league team. 

Really can't be arsed with the cup this year.  We're not going to get near winning so it is just a distraction.  Ideally will avoid an embarrassment though and then get someone like Spurs next round who we can lose to for an acceptable result. 

Mostly kids plus a half or so for Terry & Green coming back to match fitness.  Would give Hogan a chance to build more confidence, but not risk Grealish, Chester, Hourihane, Adomah etc.

• Thanks 1

Playing SJ for a part of the game (cup-tied) is a good shout

Bree for Elmo

Taylor for Hutton (if Bruce insists on going with AH as 1st choice LB) Disclaimer - I wouldnt

CB‘s JT & a Youth player (for some experience - RDL sub for JT 2nd half)

Doyle-Hayles & Lyden (if fit) or Onomah CM‘s

Elmo RW or Youth player

Green LW

AM O‘Hare

CF Hogan (till he scores the RHM as Sub)

SJ (JS)

Bree Suliman/Mitchel JT (RDL) Taylor

Doyle-Hayes Lyden/Onomah

Elmo                  O‘Hare                  Green

Hogan (RHM)

Bench

JS Hutton RDL Whelan (he surely cant be too shyite for v peterboro?) Onomah Green RHM

Steer

RDL      Bree           Terry           Taylor

O'Hare Doyle-Hayes  Onomah  Green 

Davis     RHM

Would like to see Davis & RHM play together as I think they would work well as a duo.

I would imagine Whelan will be played over Onomah or with a 3 man midfield and 1 striker.

FYI - Hogan is injured for this one...

Edited by wilko154

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Playing SJ for a part of the game (cup-tied) is a good shout

Bree for Elmo

Taylor for Hutton (if Bruce insists on going with AH as 1st choice LB) Disclaimer - I wouldnt

CB‘s JT & a Youth player (for some experience - RDL sub for JT 2nd half)

Doyle-Hayles & Lyden (if fit) or Onomah CM‘s

Elmo RW or Youth player

Green LW

AM O‘Hare

CF Hogan (till he scores the RHM as Sub)

SJ (JS)

Bree Suliman/Mitchel JT (RDL) Taylor

Doyle-Hayes Lyden/Onomah

Elmo                  O‘Hare                  Green

Hogan (RHM)

Bench

JS Hutton RDL Whelan (he surely cant be too shyite for v peterboro?) Onomah Green RHM

Hogan out injured

RHM for Hogan

McK on the bench

3 hours ago, KHV said:

I wouldn't play Terry, Hutton, Elphick, Whelan or Hogan

Terry has to play he needs to rebuild his fitness and this is perfect opportunity. I actually forgot about bjarnsson id play him tomorrow. Hogan is out so I guess be davis up top. but id prefer RHM as a lone striker or partnerned with davis 

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Really can't be arsed with the cup this year.  We're not going to get near winning so it is just a distraction.  Ideally will avoid an embarrassment though and then get someone like Spurs next round who we can lose to for an acceptable result. 

Mostly kids plus a half or so for Terry & Green coming back to match fitness.  Would give Hogan a chance to build more confidence, but not risk Grealish, Chester, Hourihane, Adomah etc.

Yeah I would rather be out too, but not to Peterboro. Next round lets get United at home give them a good game and go out with pride

So Terry and Green confirmed to start, Johnstone ineligible and Hogan injured....

maybe we’ll see the following?

................Steer

Elmo.Chester.Terry.Taylor

Snodgrass.Jedi.Houirhane.Green

............Davis.RHM

Lansbury set to get some minutes too. 

On 04/01/2018 at 11:48, BOF said:

Would you throw in a bit of youth in there BOF?