Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/12/17 at 19:30

2 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Jack was the best of a bad bunch along with adomah, but superb!? His mobility was good but when did he hit a long range shot on target, beat a player or make a pass to split the defense. Don’t get me wrong The system is not set up for him and he was def targeted by them today. This should however tell us that Bruce has no system and can’t get the best out of our most technically gifted player. 

Ps where’s o hare? He’s looked lively when I’ve seen him. Needs to be getting minutes imo 

Jack was in no danger of ever creating anything meaningful. Adomah was invisible, just like he's been for weeks now.

Edited by AVTuco

Just now, Dom_Wren said:

Jack was the best of a bad bunch along with adomah, but superb!? His mobility was good but when did he hit a long range shot on target, beat a player or make a pass to split the defense. Don’t get me wrong The system is not set up for him and he was def targeted by them today. This should however tell us that Bruce has no system and can’t get the best out of our most technically gifted player. 

Ps where’s o hare? He’s looked lively when I’ve seen him. Needs to be getting minutes imo 

Correct he had no long range shots (although i've never seen him hit a long range shot, don't know why you would expect that from him?)

In terms of going past players - countless times during the match. I lost count how many times he was fouled (must have been in double figures) after rolling players and going past them. 

In terms of defence splitting passes, he played some great cross field balls from left to right, and also had some good intricate play with Hourihane / Taylor on the left. 

• Like 2

I always feel as though, if we're really chasing the game and need a goal, we should take Whelan off and put another midfielder on who can be more adventurous.  That to me would be trying to win the game.  Forwards were never gonna win a game where they are sat so deep on their 18 yard line.  

Take the guy who mops up off if you wanna go for it.

Disappointing when put in context with the millwall game and our last 6 now reads very averagely.  

We didn't have the ball in their half for long enough because whilst we should have gone through the floor at them, we kept going long which is exactly what they wanted.  Playing that way also sees grealish and hourihane become ineffective.

Must do better 4/10.

Jedinak at fault for both goals. Not a centre half. 

Poor performance from our manager. Grealish was running rings around their number 6 ( who should have gone for two bookings) until he was banished out on the left to accommodate two headless chickens up front. 

We’re not going up playing like this. It’s the same old story. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Correct he had no long range shots (although i've never seen him hit a long range shot, don't know why you would expect that from him?)

In terms of going past players - countless times during the match. I lost count how many times he was fouled (must have been in double figures) after rolling players and going past them. 

In terms of defence splitting passes, he played some great cross field balls from left to right, and also had some good intricate play with Hourihane / Taylor on the left. 

Didn’t he score a worldy vs Wigan was it?

11 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Expect to get beaten on Boxing day. Brentford have a younger, quicker team that can dominate possession. They have only lost 2 in their last 16. With our negative tactics we have got no chance. 

I expect defeat at both Brentford and boro  

I actually thought Villa looked better with Davis on the pitch. At least you could see a system of play.

When Gabby and Hogan came on Villa lost any type of cohesion they had.

However again a very poor performance bereft of any movement or guile. It isn't one off poor performances either, it's happening every week and it is my belief that if Villa do not make a managerial change before the window opens then Villa won't be promoted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

How the **** has their no 6 not been sent off  for a second yellow in that match?

What would he have got a second yellow for? Are you thinking of Grealish jumping to the ground when he felt a breeze at his shoulder?

26 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I always feel as though, if we're really chasing the game and need a goal, we should take Whelan off and put another midfielder on who can be more adventurous.  That to me would be trying to win the game.  Forwards were never gonna win a game where they are sat so deep on their 18 yard line.  

Take the guy who mops up off if you wanna go for it.

Disappointing when put in context with the millwall game and our last 6 now reads very averagely.  

We didn't have the ball in their half for long enough because whilst we should have gone through the floor at them, we kept going long which is exactly what they wanted.  Playing that way also sees grealish and hourihane become ineffective.

Must do better 4/10.

Don't you think that Mark is a bit high ?

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What would he have got a second yellow for? Are you thinking of Grealish jumping to the ground when he felt a breeze at his shoulder?

Ref saw it as a pull back of shirt with grealish in a good position. Clear second yellow if he’s seen the foul. 

• Like 1

Felt very fortunate that we found ourselves two nil up. It happened too quickly for our players or management to realise what position we were in. We looked hungry and first to the ball for ten mins and then as soon as they scored their first youcoukd see he confidence, ideas or game plan totally sap out of our players. 

Have said time and time again Jedinak is an atrocious CB and a very poor footballer. Adomah and Davis were useless. Adomah cannot take a man on atall and takes way too long when he has the ball and subsequently makes the wrong decisions.

Were too easily thought out because we simply have no game plan or adopted style of play. What is our identity? Bruce hasn’t got one and is completely clueless with this bunch of players. 

Grealish is the only player capable of taking someone on and making something happen but he needs better quality in front of him. I thought Snodgrass and Hourihane were once again invisible throughout. 

This isn’t getting better anytime soon, unfortunately. Going two goals ahead at Home should’ve resulted in us comfortably overcoming a quite average Sheff Utd team. Once again not good enough. 

Just back. We couldn't have had a better start and then proceeded to throw it away. I thought Jedinak was diabolical and too easily bullied and Chester whilst not as bad was also too hesitant and bullied.

Man of the match by a mile was Greailish who was the only one prepared to try to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen.

That is two home games on the spin now that we should have won but didn't because of sides being stronger than us and out muscling us and there is zero excuse for that. You win your battles and the extra quality should show but we are losing way too many individual battles.

Didn't change the game but I thought the referee was diabolical.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Â