Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/12/17 at 19:30

56 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The only positive I can really take from that is he at least threw on a couple of strikers to try to get the points at the end.

Another abysmal day od Bruceball though. 10 points off Cardiff ends any hopes of automatic promotion. With our form against the top teams, the playoffs will just be a disappointment. 

Only 9 behind Cardiff now mate, chin up #progress 

Well, it was entertaining enough and there were positives, but some negatives that were difficult to ignore too.

We started brightly (obviously) and I thought that the attitude of the players was excellent - at 2-0 up, we relaxed too much and then couldn't get our impetus back in the rest of the half. Second half was more even, but the longer it went on, the more I thought we were the only winners.

Grealish was excellent, Adomah and Taylor had good games I thought, Hourihane is solid and we showed some attacking intent. Davis was good for the team but not a goal threat - When DeLaet came on I thought he looked excellent, particularly once he'd moved to full back and I thought Gabby won a lot of the ball in the air and provided a threat. If Steve Bruce set out this season to build a team around Jack Grealish, then he has at least got a very good plan.

On the other side of the coin, Jedinak was a liability at centre back - possibly the worst centre back display I've ever seen - he and Chester couldn't deal with two big lumps and straight balls over the top - Chester looks like the roadrunner next to Jedinak who couldn't outrun rust, he was responsible for both goals and a couple of chances that might have lead to a third. Hogan again came on and asked questions of the defence, unfortunately those questions are "What is he trying to do?" and "What is Scott Hogan for?". Elmohamady was frustrating - he's the least aggressive full back I've ever seen and without Hutton, we really lacked some fight. 

The referee was iffy - I haven't seen our penalty (or the shout shortly afterward) so can't comment - but I think 99 times out of a hundred, the player that pulled Grealish back whilst on a yellow gets sent off - that changes the game.

So, positives and negatives - I think if we learn from the negatives and end the experiment of having Jedinak at centre half, accept that Elmohamady is our third best right back (at best) and recognise that Gabby is a better sub than Hogan (yup, really); then we can put this one down as a valuable lesson - if we don't, then I think we'll be frustrating ourselves for a while longer. It'll be interesting to see if Jedinak and Elmohamady, two Bruce favourites, start the next one.

• Like 2

Come on now....is anyone THAT surprised ? We've been gash for weeks now and often got away with it.

I mean.....when was the last time we caned a team...and then caned another and another ?

Consistency is the key here. Our good days simply haven't lasted or been that many.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2

Whelan and Taylor's reluctance to pass the ball anywhere but backwards kills any quick breaks.

We had a quick break and where 2 3rds up the pitch and Whelan knocked it all the way back to defence it then went out to Taylor who again knocked it all the way back to the keeper.

Can' keep doing that when there's simple passes sideways or forward

I would be playing adomah up front if with Davis as he' lost the ability to put in a decent cross over the last 5 weeks.

Better results with Hutton in the team !! If he's out then rdl should be at right back.

• Like 1

Shocking, shocking, shockingly low grade football, from too many players.

I had to watch the game through my fingers, such was the embarrassment of so many factors of their play.

The manager has to take responsibility for this.....shocking.

on that showing this team can forget all about promotion.

Watch out Boxing day Stevie. Brentford are a better footballing side than we are and if we play like that we won't be able to rely om Johnstone to save us again. If we get outclassed by Dean Smith again, I know where my vote will be.

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hogan again came on and asked questions of the defence, unfortunately those questions are "What is he trying to do?" and "What is Scott Hogan for?"

Well, I hesitate to take issue with any of your excellent summaries, but a word in defence of Hogan.

We know he can be effective at this level.  We know we haven't seen that.  No doubt injuries haven't helped, but if someone asked me to explain how the team setup is designed to produce the best from him, I wouldn't be able to answer.

It reminds me a bit of when JPA was making all those runs and always being called offside, because the rest of the team were on a different and lower level, and didn't see his runs and failed to play him in.  Which is not to say he's on the same level as JPA, more that the team is set up to play a different and (possibly) cruder style, and it won't end well for either party.

I thought scouting and management were meant to think about these things beforehand, but hey, what do I know.

• Like 1

I get that - but I'm not seeing the runs, he neither trying to get in behind or trying to come deep, he's not good in the air and he's not the strongest, but he also doesn't seem particularly pacy - he's not just not scoring, he's not having shots - some of that is down to confidence and I'm sure his confidence is shot to bits, but today he looked he wanted to get on the pitch, get under the arm of the nearest centre half and disappear. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I get that - but I'm not seeing the runs, he neither trying to get in behind or trying to come deep, he's not good in the air and he's not the strongest, but he also doesn't seem particularly pacy - he's not just not scoring, he's not having shots - some of that is down to confidence and I'm sure his confidence is shot to bits, but today he looked he wanted to get on the pitch, get under the arm of the nearest centre half and disappear. 

The only forwards i seen trying to exploit their opponent was ....Clarke and donaldson.

against Sunderland it was Grabban and against Millwall it was Gregory.

We are weak with the front 2 and now the back 2 until JT returns.....hence the results.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

but I think 99 times out of a hundred, the player that pulled Grealish back whilst on a yellow gets sent off - that changes the game.

Were you watching in person, or on TV? With the benefit of the TV angle, I don't even think it was a free kick. Grealish went to ground as soon as he felt a breeze on his shoulder. Certainly shouldn't have been a second yellow.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Were you watching in person, or on TV? With the benefit of the TV angle, I don't even think it was a free kick. Grealish went to ground as soon as he felt a breeze on his shoulder. Certainly shouldn't have been a second yellow.

I was watching live. I think the decision on whether it's a foul or not sounds like it's very much debatable - but the ref had decided it was a foul and once he's done that, it's almost always the case that a pull back in open play results in a yellow card. It's an almost automatic thing. Regardless of whether he'd got the decision right, once he's decided, you'd expect him to send the player off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was in the ground right in front of it. If he thinks it’s a free kick, it’s a cynical pull back on the break and has to be a yellow. He’s bottled the decision if he deemed it a foul.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

but the ref had decided it was a foul and once he's done that, it's almost always the case that a pull back in open play results in a yellow card. It's an almost automatic thing.

If he thinks it’s a free kick, it’s a cynical pull back on the break and has to be a yellow.

I'm not an expert in the rules of the game, but I don't think that's the case.

A player is cautioned if guilty of:

• delaying the restart of play
  • dissent by word or action
  • entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
  • failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
  • persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes “persistent”)
  • unsporting behaviour

The only ones I think he could be guilty of are the incredibly vague 'persistent offences' or 'unsporting behaviour', which has a definition which the foul doesn't meet.

I think the ref **** up though; look at the replays, it's not even a free kick, IMO.

Unsporting behaviour @Davkaus

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:

attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)

changes places with the goalkeeper during play or without the referee’s permission

commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence

commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack

commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball

denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick

handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal

makes unauthorised marks on the field of play

plays the ball when leaving the field of play after being given permission to leave

shows a lack of respect for the game

uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands

verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Edited by a m ole

Â