Racism

Brumerican

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think it’s just another thing to be filed under ‘2017 - the rise of the safe space’.

Yea, people know people can get uppety about this kind of thing, so they social media about it to get 'likes', to make themselves feel better.

• Like 1

I'm definitely confused on this fiasco. In portraying Diane Abbott, he HAS to be black.  He's portraying a specific person, and that person is black.  In the case of Griezmann I see it differently as he blacked himself up to be a basketball player.  That's stereotyping as not all basketball players are black.  All Labour MPs called Diane Abbott ARE black though.

Nothing makes sense any more.

• Like 3

It was on one of Charlie Brooker’s yearly round ups where he was bemoaning a celebrity stars in their eyes style programme (your face sounds familiar, I think?).

He pointed out that Denise Lewis was regularly only given a choice of black singers who she could dress up  and perform as. Whereas in the Greek version of the show a white female was encouraged to “black up” as Stevie Wonder. 

His tongue in cheek question was which was more racist, the blacking up of the white woman on the Greek version of the show or the British version for “keeping the races apart like apartheid”. :D

22 minutes ago, villaglint said:

When I was at University a group of about 20 of us went to a Summer Ball dressed as rock stars. One friend went as Jimmy Hendrix and blacked up. 

Out of the entire group he was the only person to get searched for drugs on the way in.

Worst thing was he actually did have drugs on him. 

True dedication to authenticity, I like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

This is of course, subject to me not understanding the tweet!  But he's not being racist.  Would it be more racist not to go as a black person, because they are black? Lol.

I think the tweet is saying that black face isn't funny.  It doesn't mention racism.

58 minutes ago, Straggler said:

It doesn't matter what your intention is if the thing you are doing is racist.  Yes Diane Abbott is black, but you don't have to black up to dress as her.  The costume the chap is wearing is good enough to identify himself as Abbott without the makeup, particularly with the crappy maths on display.  The history of blacking up is pretty awful and much like using the n word, if you are going to use it in public don't be surprised if you are called out on the behavior.  It is perfectly possible to dress as a black person without the makeup as Ellen manages in this pic, so just do it like that, it's not hard and you are not in danger of being racist.

Ellen-Degeneres-Niki-Minaj-Halloween-copy-2a88bdac.jpeg

Cobblers! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't get the vitriol for this.  So are we saying now, that in ANY circumstances people can't go "fancy dress" as a black person, BECAUSE they are black?

Could he have gone as David Beckham, because he's white and speaks funny?

If the thing he's lampooning is incompetence, as it appears with the "190" placard, then he's not being racist is he?

If he hadn't have "blacked up" then he's just be a white bloke with a wrong number on his card.  

This is of course, subject to me not understanding the tweet!  But he's not being racist.  Would it be more racist not to go as a black person, because they are black? Lol.

It would appear that he is not the only one to have caused offence in fancy dress.

Griezmann as Harlem Globetrotter

Antoine Griezmann deletes blackface picture on Twitter after being accused of racism

The Atletico Madrid striker was dressed up as an NBA basketball player

facebook.png  
  twitter.png  

email.png  
  blank.gif  
Click to follow
The Independent Sport
antoine-griezmann.jpg Griezmann's photo has caused real controversy on social media Getty

Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann has caused outrage on social media after posting a photograph of himself blackface as part of a fancy dress costume.