• Onomah
    • Grealish
    • Adomah
    • Hogan (Whelan 65)
    • Agbonlahor (Onomah 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/12/17 at 17:30

We had a decent 20 minute spell at the end, when we had some **** attackers on the pitch.

I don't blame Bruce for the first goal, that was Whelan losing the plot. I don't blame Bruce for the second goal. We opened ourselves up having to really push forward to try to save something.

I do blame Bruce for us playing like 11 limp dicks on the pitch, because we had no goal threat whatsoever for 70 minutes. 

Johnstone is my MotM. Could have been 4 without him.

• Like 3

Difficult - we need a big man up front - if Davis is injured and Gabby isn't available we should be looking at one of the centre halves - unfortunately we're missing a couple of them too. 

We're not a footballing team, we're ugly long ball with a big man up top - we're capable of going up that way, but without a big man we're really going to struggle - Bruce can't turn into Pep which means no matter how many good tricky midfielders you give him he's not going to get an effective passing attack going. 

It looks like what we did was find the biggest fit man we had and tried to teach him to play up front in a couple of days. That hasn't worked.

Our entire season rests on the shoulders of a nineteen year old - it's an enormous pressure on him - and we're in trouble if we can't come up with a plan B.

• Like 1

Anyone can go behind by a freak goal from an individual mistake. The true measure is what you do next. We passed the ball around hoping Derby's defence might part like the Red Sea because we lacked the guile or gumption to actually force the attack. Derby didn't really have to try, so they didn't.

I know we've got injuries, but Bruce's stubborn insistence on sticking with Onomah - a player who I haven't been impressed with even once this season - and even worse putting him up top rather than playing a recognised striker has hamstrung us today. Snodgrass was poor, Whelan is abysmal. At least Gresford looked up for it, and Johnstone rescued us from poor decision making and poor passing several times. You can argue about whether or not it's the right time to sack him, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced: We're not going to do this with Bruce at the helm.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Expected. It's not going to change under Bruce unfortunately.

100% exactly this as in nail, head, hit very hard and why can't people see this ?!!!

We still lack any discernible playing style. Players look lost and confused so they just keep playing the "easy option" passes to whoever is behind them. Nobody takes risks, nobody wants to run at the opposition, its just, pass, pass, pass until we eventually get closed down and lose the ball. Grealish was the one exception to all this ..... he looked world class compared to the rest of our side.

We continue to flounder under Bruce. We continue to play boring, drab, unimaginative football under Bruce and I'm afraid it will go on and on until we rid this club of him and his awful coaching team ! 

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 3

You play with it no strikers, you get no chances. Knew we'd lose today and when I saw the starting XI it all but confirmed it. We simply can't step up against the better teams in this league and are way too easily thought out. We only seem to be any kind of a threat when we lump it to Davis, where he can bring others into play. But that's only every other game as our nineteen year old striker is (unsurprisingly) hit or miss. Bruce just hoped we'd somehow be 0-0 with 20mins to go and then throw on Hogan and Gabby. Well when we go one down all this "planning" is fruitless. We had plenty of the ball today but because we couldn't just lump it up we were reduced to passing it sideways without any creation of chances. 

We looked mildly better with two strikers on as Grealish was trying to be positive but we were way too easily sniffed out as we have been for years. 

Absolutely shit overall and our grasp of being a playoff contender is slipping by the week. We desperately need Terry back. As I said in the Chris Samba thread Jedinak is not a good CB. He's one of the worst passers of the ball I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. Adomah and Snodgrass were barely visible today and we cannot afford to have two key attacking players being lost in games. Onomah and Hourihane were nowhere to be seen all game. 

Was way too predictable today and that lies wth our hugely negative manager. His brief was to get us promoted and until its confirmed we can't do that he will remain. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 3

Â