Preppers

chrisp65

I’ve not normally drank loads on past Christmas Days due to the indulgence that has occurred on past Christmas Eves.

This year, we’re going out on the 23rd (watching the game followed by drinks and music at the local) so I guess I’ll be partaking in a drop of wine and a few glasses of baileys on the day itself.

Got the little ‘un on Boxing Day so there won’t be any drinking that day until once she’s gone to sleep, if at all.

I've been gifted all sorts of wine, port and lager already so I'll get through that before getting some beers in.

I love beer, but it's actually quite expensive to drink at home oddly. If you're buying unique bottles it can be up to £3 a bottle which is comparable to what you'd pay in a pub for the same product. Morrison's often do 3 for £6 which is good value, but if I'm having a drink I like to have at least 3 or 4. I never get shitfaced at home, but I like to feel giddy. Sounds silly but it heightens my enjoyment of whatever I'm doing and if I'm doing that I want to drink sometime nice. So I rarely drink cheap booze at home anymore, because for me that really is only for getting hammered on, because it's not enjoyable to me.

So tonight a bottle of red the wife brought back from Czech. Last one was decent. 

It's that "Just a few" that's tricky. I know that when I get to that crucial third pint, the little demon on my shoulder will whisper "Have another, you'll be fine", and then there's no way back until chucking out time. 

However, you are all correct, I'm obviously going to do it. 

I generally don't drink on Christmas Day. I drive to my parents and drive home later in the evening. I may have a small glass of wine with dinner.

I used to go big on Xmas Eve... pub crawling in Moseley and then crash at a mates. Haven't done that for a few years :(

Just now, Xela said:

I generally don't drink on Christmas Day. I drive to my parents and drive home later in the evening. I may have a small glass of wine with dinner.

I used to go big on Xmas Eve... pub crawling in Moseley and then crash at a mates. Haven't done that for a few years :(

Ah, I'm the opposite, I'll be family taxi and workhorse on Christmas Eve, nothing's too much trouble.

Christmas Day, I'll drink my own bottle of something fizzy whilst cooking lunch. Once upon a time it would have been important it said champagne on the label. Perfectly happy with a decent Cava these days.

This year, for the first time in 8 years, I shall also be on it on Boxing Day. The footy ground is walking distance...I'll be needing a lift.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Christmas Eve used to be a great night out. Stroll in at 3-4 in the morning with the smell of turkey hitting me as soon as I opened the door. My gran always cooked it through the night.

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I'm the opposite, I'll be family taxi and workhorse on Christmas Eve, nothing's too much trouble.

Christmas Day, I'll drink my own bottle of something fizzy whilst cooking lunch. Once upon a time it would have been important it said champagne on the label. Perfectly happy with a decent Cava these days.

This year, for the first time in 8 years, I shall also be on it on Boxing Day. The footy ground is walking distance...I'll be needing a lift.

Boxing Day and New Year's Day are proper drinking days, or they always were to me. Out at 11-12 and on it all day and night. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's that "Just a few" that's tricky. I know that when I get to that crucial third pint, the little demon on my shoulder will whisper "Have another, you'll be fine", and then there's no way back until chucking out time. 

However, you are all correct, I'm obviously going to do it. 

Once I have the third, it's normally game over. Nowt worse having to get up early when you're hungover. The older you get the worst it is I think. 

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Once I have the third, it's normally game over. Nowt worse having to get up early when you're hungover. The older you get the worst it is I think. 

Thanks for that. 

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The beer sounds very appealing, not sure I'd risk eating a cake though :)

A wise move, we perfected the recipe and it ain't for the faint-hearted :)

Â