Match Thread: Villa v Millwall

limpid

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is a largely unfair assessment since he has looked extremely good in number of games for us. I do agree that he shouldn't be an automatic starter though, he is still too young/ raw to be expected to consistently lead our line.

Can't be too harsh on Davis, there is literally nobody else

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

No route to the box without Hourihane, Lansbury doing ok to gett us into wide positions where Hutton and Taylor are either short of ideas or short of ability.

Grealish and Hourihane desperately needed on the pitch.

Got to agree. Hourihane is so busy when on the pitch. He lays the ball at the feet of Davis and it gets players moving as the defenders concentrate on Davis. Grealish would do the same.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Wait, why are we turning on Keinan all of a sudden? He's pretty much the main reason (along with Adomah's form) that we're even challenging for the playoff positions.

Spot on mate. He is doing well. 

He is crowded with three defenders every time he has the ball. 

Milwall are crowding the centre. They know both of our wingers cut inside. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is a largely unfair assessment since he has looked extremely good in number of games for us. I do agree that he shouldn't be an automatic starter though, he is still too young/ raw to be expected to consistently lead our line.

He looked good in a 4-4-2 formation. I don't think he has had a good match as the lone striker. He definitely worked well with Kodjia.

I am not trying to "hate" on davis, but we need better. The past 3-4 matches, Davis has made poor decisions, and his movement has been bad. We are in a promotion fight, and we need better. 

Since Grealish is back, I wouldn't be opposed to see Hogan for Davis, and Grealish for Onomah. 

A performance so far that looks like we've thought we can just show up and win.

Lansbury the only one with any urgency, Adomah the only one with any menace.  Davis is too often coming out wide to support the build up but then there's nobody to aim it in the middle.

The Spurs lad is playing as Josh Anonomahs again today.

The second half needs to be much, much better.  We're not getting ball forward quickly enough, and our forward line is too static.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

A performance so far that looks like we've thought we can just show up and win.

Lansbury the only one with any urgency, Adomah the only one with any menace.  Davis is too often coming out wide to support the build up but then there's nobody to aim it in the middle.

The Spurs lad is playing as Josh Anonomahs again today.

The second half needs to be much, much better.  We're not getting ball forward quickly enough, and our forward line is too static.

Josh AnOnomah :lol:

I am not jumping on Davis. Tactics wise, this isn't working. Davis is being double marked, and he can't even use his physical presence to lay off passes to players because Onomah is never in position to receive a pass. 

I think we need to get Grealish on the pitch and get him dribbling at defenders. No one is doing that. It's just pass, and not move. No surprise we can't break them down. 

Lansbury has also been a liability on defense. He probably should be switched with Onomah. 

Snodgrass is having a mare, I'd take him off and try to get some more width, the middle is super compacted when we're in possession and we can't play through it with the personnel we have on the pitch. 

They're counter attacking well to be fair to them, though we're not helping ourselves to prevent them

4 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Hutton and Taylor need to overlap more. 

Lansbury needs subbing- he's far too slow when defending.

What? He is way faster getting back than Whelan and he is the only one trying to play the ball wide and play between their defense and midfield

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 1