Death Stranding

hogso

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Books can be great without being 'fun' or even 'enjoyable' to read, as can films......I doubt anyone came away from watching Schindlers List thinking 'man that was awesome, can we go again' but it was nevertheless a great film.

Gaming is a little different I accept, it's generally been seen as being recreational fun but really, games have been moving away from this (in part at least) for some time now

That's a good example.  It's not a 'fun' film, but it is a great film and by any standards of cinematography, it's brilliant.  But, just as I wouldn't go to watch a film that was 5 hours long of somebody trudging across a desert, nor do I think this game will translate into a game that is good to play at all.

Well I think there's little doubt that this game has the very best ever, for all it's foibles, rendering of real world product placement. Truly ground breaking stuff. 

• 3 months later...

So, being a sucker for Kojima stuff and Shinkawa design, I picked this up at a decent price.

I fully expected to be meh about it. But I wanted to experience it.

...I quite liked it :ph34r:

The story is utter, utter, utter horseshit, and it's certainly the case that the game's mechanics are basically there to be a difficulty to overcome, but there's an odd joy to the simplicity of it. There's not really any downside to just playing it on easy, as the traversal is unaffected by it, and the combat is a footnote to the rest of the game. The MULEs you can basically completely avoid, and even if you do need to fight them swinging a box at them will knock them out and the game gives you more and more ways of dealing with them. And the same is true of the BTs, you basically don't have to worry about them after about 5 hours, they're more of just a pace change. So you just plug away, traveling from place to place with bits of kit to help traverse the environment, and using the bits that others have left behind as well. And when you link up places you can then start to build the stuff that'll make the journey much easier next time (especially once you unlock zip lines).

It's absolutely, certainly not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. Enough to be going back to try to platinum it. And building my own zip line highway >_>.

Edit - But the story and symbolism has the subtlety of pneumatic drill, and it's rubbish.

Oh and it looks incredible.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

It's certainly not a game for everyone but if it clicks it's quite satisfying to play, and it looks brilliant. And has a stellar soundtrack.

I ended up platinuming it >_>

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
Â