Death Stranding

hogso

It sounds like it's going to be a shit gameplay experience with some genuinely mind blowing stuff in it, mainly how it works with other players

The idea that you will form pathways from taking the same route is incredible

What I don't know is or understand is how it caps what other people are doing, say 1m people playing (it could hit say 10m in sales) all building bridges, all sticking ladders up, if you come to this game late then how much stuff will be littered about? 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It sounds like it's going to be a shit gameplay experience with some genuinely mind blowing stuff in it, mainly how it works with other players

The idea that you will form pathways from taking the same route is incredible

What I don't know is or understand is how it caps what other people are doing, say 1m people playing (it could hit say 10m in sales) all building bridges, all sticking ladders up, if you come to this game late then how much stuff will be littered about? 

Chances are it culls 99% of data and just pulls in a random assortment of things. The main limitation is hardware as there is only so much additional geometry that can be added to an area before it causes performance issues. Chances are it's tracking everything, but only pulls in 10 or so random objects from other players sessions within a mile radius of the player. It's the same as Dark Souls. On launch there were likely 800,000 people in Firelink Shrine, but only 2-3 ghostly apparitions could be seen at a time.  

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think it sounds great and genuinely interesting. Is it cool to just shit on things that havent been played in depth at the moment or summat? 

It is the in thing to shit on things in general. Many people these days see something they don't like/understand and then make it their mission to make sure others hate it too.

I'm with you, I think this game looks super interesting. Do I think I'll enjoy it? I don't know, but I'm down to experience it. 

• Like 1

If the game world has that sort of ethereal, Shadow Of The Colussus-vibe going for it I'll be all over it.  Certainly looks stunning enough, though I worry the graphic load will be the death knell for my shitty PS4.

Inventory mechanics can be as bonkers as they want, as long it's not so overly burdensome as to kill momentum.  I'm having flashbacks of having to manually go through the staff list to quarantine every infected person in MGSV when a simple filter function would have kept it arduous enough to not impact the point of the exercise but at least make it not absolute fecking torture.

'Death Stranding is the Gran Turismo of walking simulators'

'What if Breath of the Wild were boring, on purpose? What if Assassin's Creed hated you? What if somebody from Denmark directed a film based on John Bois' 17776? What if the DC Cinematic Universe rebooted Kevin Costner's the Postman?'

:crylaugh:

On 20/09/2019 at 14:18, Daweii said:

Kojima has stated that this game isn't intended to be "fun", at least not in the traditional sense and I applaud that. Games don't need to be fun to be good and I wish the industry would do more to push that.

I'm bewildered by that thinking to be honest.  If I want to do something "not fun" I could be cleaning the grout in the shower or doing the ironing.  In what way can a game be considered good if it's not entertaining to play?

• Like 1

I can understand something not being 'fun' in and of itself, as an experience. I've grown to love the Soulsborne games, but there are moments in those games that are quite pointedly not fun, there's stuff that's a slog. But the experience is of getting through it, of overcoming it. 

A entire game of slog... Yeah. I get it as art, I guess, but part of the issue is it also seems like the game has the subtlety of a brick. And at no point does it seem like a good way to spend your time.

I'm still intrigued by it, but this is going to tank in price fast as the used shelves fill up with copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I'm bewildered by that thinking to be honest.  If I want to do something "not fun" I could be cleaning the grout in the shower or doing the ironing.  In what way can a game be considered good if it's not entertaining to play?

Same way there are movies made that aren't intended to be "fun". Now they aren't insanely successful movies to be fair, but cinema has a whole sector of art house films that are meant to provoke thought and get a reaction aside from "that was fun". Games don't have to be fun to be good. 'This War Of Mine' isn't a fun game due to the subject matter, but it's one of the best games ever made. Games don't have to be fun and as this industry grows and evolves we will get more games that exist to offer different emotional responses. If you don't like the sound of games that aren't fun then that's fine, there are 7000 games released every year and 99.99% of them are made with "fun" in mind. This is one game that isn't and that's okay because it will find its own audience, and that audience will love it for all sorts of reasons aside from "that was fun".

3 hours ago, Risso said:

I'm bewildered by that thinking to be honest.  If I want to do something "not fun" I could be cleaning the grout in the shower or doing the ironing.

There's a pretty large of genre of these types of games, that have quite a fanatic following. Stuff like Euro Truck Simulator and Viscera Cleanup Detail are a million miles from fun but are rated insanely well on Steam thanks to their cult like status.

I accept, though, that those types of games are unquestionably selling a niche product that isn't dressed up in anyway at all, whereas with this, well, if one who isn't particularly ITK picks it up off the shelf they may be a little surprised! 

Edited by hogso

Given I've managed to not know anything about this until the State of Play trailer dropped a couple of months ago, I'm still none the wiser about most of it.  From the trailers I'd assumed it was some highly-cinematic-driven escapade about evading the rain and oil-soaked ghosties as you ambled about rocky cliffs and forests (rather than all of that fluffed out around 40 hours of fetch quests and broken toenails).  Given most "reviews" don't seem to want to actually talk about the game as such, I'm still none the wiser as whether I'll pick it up - I'm all for something that's different and perhaps "not fun", but I've had more than my fair share of TV shows that hang an interesting premise on the hook of "intrigue", but then never do anything more with it, except layer more intrigue on for the sake of not having to actually explain anything (and there I've only had to invest time, rather than time and the cost of a new gaming release) and I've given up on plenty of those than the rumoured 20 hours it takes for DS to "get fun".  

From a technical point of view I don't I have superlatives to do it justice, and that hour long Kotaku review piqued my interest a lot more.  But to be honest, my gaming time is severely curtailed these days, so this just reeks of something I'll pick up on a Steam sale in 4 years time to have a dabble on.  

Im really tempted to get this just because it's different to anything else out there at the moment.  Having said that there reviews suggest the moment mechanics are a mind f##k to start with. 

i'll definitely play it, whether or not i'll enjoy it is a complete mystery to me but that's part of what is making me want to play it, its definitely intriguing, the MGS series was always great for strange reasons that you discover yourself rather than in your face obvious ones, MGS5 for example I loved the enemy AI learning curve, MGS 2 was for the hold up stuff, its only really the first PS game that I think should really work as a game, its why I don't think they're actually that replayable, you start to see the holes on the 3rd or 4th play through

On 03/11/2019 at 16:14, Risso said:

Books can be great without being 'fun' or even 'enjoyable' to read, as can films......I doubt anyone came away from watching Schindlers List thinking 'man that was awesome, can we go again' but it was nevertheless a great film.

Gaming is a little different I accept, it's generally been seen as being recreational fun but really, games have been moving away from this (in part at least) for some time now

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I doubt anyone came away from watching Schindlers List thinking 'man that was awesome, can we go again'

Ah, you've not seen the extended version with the Amon Göth / Itzhak Stern lightsaber duel then.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 1

Â