Death Stranding

hogso

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also, people are going to hate this. Literally the first gameplay shown is you organising your backpack to be balanced, being unbalanced makes you walk off kilter and saps stamina. And your shoes can break.

It's going to be a glorious, glorious cluster ****.

I really have no interest in this game at all.

I'm intrigued by it. But I'm expecting it to be divisive, disappointing and completely unintelligible. I love Kojima, I love the atmosphere and look of everything, but a game about being a delivery guy with tonnes of maintenance mechanics and what looks like quite frustrating combat... Hmm.

I'm interested by this game and I have no idea if I'll enjoy it, but it'll be an experience I likely won't forget nonetheless. 

Kojima has stated that this game isn't intended to be "fun", at least not in the traditional sense and I applaud that. Games don't need to be fun to be good and I wish the industry would do more to push that. This is an industry with thousands of super shallow AAA experiences that it's nice to see a game that may actually take some thought to digest. Will I enjoy Death Stranding in the traditional sense? Likely not, but there might be something I take away from this game that I enjoy and I'm looking forward to finding out what that is. 

Death Stranding is an unfortunate game, as it's this $200 million+ budget release (sans advertising) that needs to be advertised like a blockbuster. Yet in actuality it's likely more akin to a Cannes Film Festival flick that is kooky, weird and experimental. What I expect is universal acclaim from professional reviewers and universal hate/confusion from the public. Unfortunately the modern gamer likely won't stick around long enough to appreciate anything about a game like this which is a shame. Personally I feel that to have an opinion on anything that you need to experience it, so I will play this and I will play it to the end, after that I'll decide if I liked it after that.  

• 1 month later...

It just looks ike it will be really boring to play through but you never know i guess.

Imagine it will drop in price very quickly once shops start getting loads of  used ones in very quickly because people bought it expecting Daryl from the walking dead in some sort of action game and end up with hours of bonkers cutscenes and some walking around slowly.

Also joining the list of PS4 "exclusives" that is coming to PC next year

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

It just looks ike it will be really boring to play through but you never know i guess.

Kojima has said this in interviews. The game doesn't get "fun" until at least 50% through the story. Now many people because of his past think he's trolling, think he's going to pull a bait and switch, but he's showed way to much of the game at this point for it to be anything other than a walking simulator with mild combat. Sure maybe the fabled 50% mark is when a twist happens that tips everything on its head and it becomes an first person shooter or something, but Kojima has been very open that people probably won't like this game. It's up to his fans/gamers to believe his words, and right now I think there will be a lot of disappointed people on November 8th.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game is received. I was going to buy it on November 8th, but Kojima **** up and announced the PC version the other day so I'll be getting that instead when it releases in 2020.

I think it's going to get the benefit of good timing, other than the outer world's, maybe star wars and then disappointing Cod and fifa games its a quiet Xmas this year

I'd be surprised if this is more disappointing than the awful looking star wars game 

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's a shame this is going to be completely bobbins.

GC's article on this final trailer today refers to it as akin to the trailer for a major cinema blockbuster - giving away far too much, and showing most of the best bits. Review embargo is up in the morning I believe, I'll be really curious about how it's scored. 

I'm expecting the reviews to be all over the place. Those in for the auteur thing adoring it, those ambivalent to Kojima disliking the gameplay and those that hate Kojima throwing it under a bus.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The embargo is up early, not sure if it's confidence or just not caring what reviews think 

I'm assuming the latter. This feels like one of those projects that was made because the director wanted to make it, rather than trying to garner critical acclaim. 

From what I've read the reviews won't surprise anyone. Exposition on exposition on exposition, tutorials thrown at you hours in to the game, a story that doesn't go full Kojima until the end, and an irony in that the game is obsessed with connected places, and as there are flashes of brilliance in the gameplay and world they aren't themselves linked together very well. 

I don't mind a walking simulator, in fact I'm quite fond of the critically acclaimed ones. I'm also not the biggest Kojima fan, but everything I've read in reviews hasn't put me off playing it at some point. It was never going to be a day / week / month one purchase for me anyway.

On a slight aside I played PT yesterday for the first time in well over a year. What an incredible little demo / teaser. 

Edited by hogso

The 3 reviews I watched this morning were a mixed bag, ign was 6.8 gamespot 9 GR 3.5 out of 5

But all 3 of them did pretty much stop and say get your head around its a walking simulator with some other stuff thrown in

I'll pick it up because I'm not playing much else but part of me is tempted to wait until the inevitable ps5 release and see just how good they can make it look 

Â