Game of the Year 2017!!!!

Ingram85

You can pick your top 3 and then 1 notable mention. 

Notable Mention: Skyrim Switch - the fact that I can play Skyrim while having a poo is just amazing. How they fitted it all plus the dlc onto the switch is impressive and it looks and plays great too.

3: Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age

Fantastic remaster of an underrated gem. Top notch all round. Enjoyed revisiting this world again. 

2: Mario Odyssey

Not quite the quasi sunshine sequel I had hoped for but it’s just a fantastic game in its own right. Fun, surprising and an instant classic. I never liked the two galaxy games so this was a much appreciated departure. 

1: LoZ: BotW

I don’t need to explain this. It’s one of the best games of all time. Revolutionary. Amazing. Sublime. I wish I could erase my memory and go into it blind from the start again. Awe inspiring. 

TW3 released an update to optimise it for the PS4 pro, does that count as DLC and make it GOTY eligible?

Otherwise... Yakuza Zero.  Hadn't played a previous Yakuza game but thought this would be worth a try. Really impressed with its story telling and game world. Even if combat was slightly uninspired it nails a really good mix of serious character driven story with complete stupidity in the side missions

Horizon Zero Dawn - Pleasantly surprised as I expected Far Cry with robots.

Wolfenstein 2 More killing Nazis. Tells a really good story with BJ's past too

Yet to play Super Mario Oddysey and I haven't finished Zelda so can't really put it in there

Notable mention - Nier Automata. Eventually outstayed its welcome and the side missions are tedious but its does a lot of interesting things not really done in games

Horizon Zero Dawn 

Persona 5

Hellblade

+

Danganronpa 1.2 Reload

Vintage gaming year, absolute shit ton of stuff I haven't played that I know would be on this list if I had. 

I deliberately stayed away from the typical game of the year bait this year as I want to experience them once the incessant hype for those games has died down. So with that said my Top 3 Games of 2017 are;

• NieR: Automata
  • Nioh
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

NieR was a sublime game that does what only NieR does, it takes many styles of gameplay and many styles of storytelling and creates a narrative in a way no other games are. NieR: Automata to me was phenomenal, it wasn't quite as good as PS3's sublime NieR: Gestalt though it was still an incredible game. Definitely one of my games of the year.

Nioh is a gift that keeps on giving. This game is a standard loot grind Action-RPG, but it has the most refined and fluid combat which makes playing through the main game and its subsequent three massive DLC's a joy. Ultimately though I love loot grind games so this was always going to be high up on my list and Nioh is one of the best in any year not just this year.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is a weird one and I wouldn't be including this if the 1.00 update wasn't launching before the end of 2017 effectively taking it out of Beta. What can I say about this game? It's not the most polished and definitely not the most refined from a gameplay standpoint, but it is just absurdly fun and that counts for so much. I had to include this and with 20+ million copies sold since it launched in March of this year, I am sure this game will be topping quite a few peoples game of the year lists.

I'm struggling to think what I've played this year...

Zelda

Horizon

Injustice

Yooka Laylee

Nier

MvC: I

Shadow of War

Destiny 2

Mario Odyssey

Might have missed something there. For a top 3...

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild

It's a masterpiece. Nintendo do an open world game and decide to do it their own way. There weren't many games that have the feeling of exploration this does. It's not flawless - weapon degradation is a little too much, it misses an old school dungeon or 2, and the story barely exists. But man... It just plays so well. It begs you to try things. Even little things. The game gives you a world and says deal with it. It's brilliant. One of those games that will have bits and pieces nicked over the years.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn

Where Zelda takes the open world and decides to attempt to progress it, Horizon takes it and attempts to buff it to a high shine. There is very little new about Horizon. It doesn't revolutionise anything. But it takes what it wants from the genre and does it well across the board. The world is beautiful. It has a surprisingly good story (predictable but again, well done). The combat is fun and has some nuance with a chance to develop your own approach. There's a variety in the enemies. It doesn't go mad with collectibles... Etc. It's a classic perfected.

3. Mario Odyssey

I've not finished Mario Odyssey. And I hear the game gets better after the credits. But so far... It's a proper Mario game. It's pretty. It has surprising depth to the gameplay (you can link moves to traverse the world, but doing so requires not insignificant skill). It's gimmick is joyfully done. The worlds the game gives you are riddled with little secrets to discover. There's wonder to it all. And there's something brilliant about Mario in a sombrero and poncho hopping into a pipe and suddenly becoming flat and 8bit pixel art with the music seamlessly warping into a NES era version of itself. It feels like years of ideas and traditions of Nintendo games being distilled into one game.

Honourable mention

Injustice 2

Injustice 2 takes Netherrealms now trademark style of fighting game and polishes it. It's surprisingly good. Their story modes are still unparalleled, and this serves up a decent DC comics romp. It's very pretty. It's rammed with content. It's even good enough to survive loot boxes largely unscathed (unlike stablemate Shadow of War, which is really good but lost out here for horrible loot box crap, shite story, and a bit too much repetition). One of the few things you can criticise it for is locking some of the cooler customisation options (giving different moves etc) behind random unlockables. It's really good.

1) Divinity: Original Sin 2. Up there with the best RPGs, and there's not much to challenge it in terms of CRPGs. The best of its genre, not just the best of the year, IMO.

2) Hollow Knight. Just ridiculously good, it's done Metroidvania better than any games has in years. Remarkable to think it was the work of a team of 3. 

3) I'm stuck for my third. I didn't think much of Zelda. For me, it does the same old things pretty well, but nothing new. Same for Horizon Zero Dawn. They were solid 8/10s for me. Decent enough, but neither rally captivated me. it's just the same kind of generic open world RPG-lite experience that gets released a dozen times a year. I appreciate I'm in the vast minority though.

If I had to pick, I think I'd go for Battlerite, which has taken over Rocket League for me as the best 'simple game, done well', that's doing its best to monopolise my gaming time.

Â